Options

British Strawberries This Year in Shops

SohoSoho Posts: 312
Forum Member
Never known such a poor year for British Strawberries. I've tried all the supermarkets Asda, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc. Since April I've been buying them not a single decent punnet, most have gone straight in the bin.

Most are tiny many at the bottom of the punnet going moldy, others dark red with a horrible taste they just are not good.

The best punnet I have was the second they appeard in shops. It seems cherries have become more popular this year due to the bad quality in Stawberries.

P.S - Not in the position to pick my own before somebody comments. :-)

Comments

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Soho wrote: »
    Never known such a poor year for British Strawberries. I've tried all the supermarkets Asda, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc. Since April I've been buying them not a single decent punnet, most have gone straight in the bin.

Most are tiny many at the bottom of the punnet going moldy, others dark red with a horrible taste they just are not good.

The best punnet I have was the second they appeard in shops. It seems cherries have become more popular this year due to the bad quality in Stawberries.

I don't think picking your own would help you much, except you can taste a few and not continue.

One glance at the weather this summer is enough to lower my expectations about British strawberries ( which I normally consider the best in the world). They need plenty of rain to swell the fruit and then a hot dry spell to ripen and sweeten them. The weather this year couldn't have been worse I don't think. I feel sorry for the strawberry farmers. Hopefully we will get a hot settled spell and now the strawberry season is so long they may pull something back from the year.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

The small ones are usually the best! Although I do find strawberries the most disappointing of soft fruit. So much aroma but so little taste.

Instead of PYO - why not grow your own next year? All the planters are now in the end-of-summer clearances so is a good time to buy.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    They always seem to be Elsanta, which are pretty tasteless.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    don't know where you live but the ones i've been getting have been gorgeous.
    i've had them every day for breakfast since about april very sweet very flavoursome.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I much prefer blueberries, raspberries and cherries now to strawberries, just seems to be very poor flavour in recent years.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buy Kentish! They are the best.
  • Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member

Herefordshire are better!
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I much prefer blueberries, raspberries and cherries now to strawberries, just seems to be very poor flavour in recent years.

Me too, strawberries are so tasteless these days, the only half decent ones I have tried were Scottish from Sainburys. Raspberries are my favourite fruit.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    The ones I grow myself aren't much better. It seems a complete lottery getting nice ones from the supermarket, not always dependent on variety.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had Kent ones this week, they were ok but a bit soft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had a decent strawberry in years.

They always seem to be quite bland.

Bought a big punnet of cherries today from the market for a quid and they are the best I've ever had.

Wish I'd bought more.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'm massively fussy when itg comes to strawberries. They have got to be a good variety (no elsanta or sonata, etc) and with no hint of squishyness to the skin.

Most of the time i come back from the supermarkets strawberryless as nothing is up to scratch. So far this year i have had 2 what i would consider to be good punnets. So its not great really. Better than last year though.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, strawberries are so tasteless these days, the only half decent ones I have tried were Scottish from Sainburys. Raspberries are my favourite fruit.

The thing is, don't even bother buying strawberries in a supermarket. They are nearly always the Elsanta variety, which are grown for their bright red colour to fool shoppers into thinking they are actually nice to eat, when in fact they're really bland. Buy them from a farm shop, in season, instead.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    don't know where you live but the ones i've been getting have been gorgeous.
    i've had them every day for breakfast since about april very sweet very flavoursome.

Same here! I can't remember a time I've had as good strawberries than this year! We get ours at a fruit/veg market every week, cheap as chips! :D been having smoothies, Eton mess and plenty of baking to use them up!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always make sure they have small ones in the punnet, the smaller the sweeter with most things, and the darker the tastier too in my book.

The stawberries always seem tasteless until about mid-June, when they started tasting great (daughter would eat them without asking for a sprinkling of sweetener). At the moment they are tasting good to me but I do make sure I pick a punnet with smaller ones in and darker if possible.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I blame the foreign pickers.:D

i used to pick strawberries and raspberries, some of the strawberries were the size of a large potato, not sure of the variety, but we got paid per punnet so the bigger the better.:D:D

With the raspberries you got paid by weight, so if it rained the farmers would tell you to stop picking and go on your break as it put the weight up.

Given that, can you guess where most people peed when they needed to?

Enjoy your raspberries.:D
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I blame the foreign pickers.:D

i used to pick strawberries and raspberries, some of the strawberries were the size of a large potato, not sure of the variety, but we got paid per punnet so the bigger the better.:D:D

With the raspberries you got paid by weight, so if it rained the farmers would tell you to stop picking and go on your break as it put the weight up.

Given that, can you guess where most people peed when they needed to?

Funny you should say that but the last punnet I bought tasted strongly of amonia, even after washing. Went straight in the bin and won't buy anymore.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I blame the long plastic tunnels they grow them in nowadays, they're never quite the same favour IMO.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    Same here! I can't remember a time I've had as good strawberries than this year! We get ours at a fruit/veg market every week, cheap as chips! :D been having smoothies, Eton mess and plenty of baking to use them up!

thank god!!!
    i was beginning to think i was living in alternate universe to everyone else.....:D
    hoorah!!
    enjoy your eton mess!!! such a lovely combination *licks lips and sneaks off to fridge*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been loving the strawberries this year. Scottish strawberries have been lovely this summer! Full of flavour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Growing your own is much better, if you possibly can, all you'd need it space for a hanging basket or two, they grow beautifully in them, and cost next to nothing.

The small ones are the tastiest, we grow all our own fruit such as these, cherries, blueberries, blackberries, apples, pears and plums, but we grow wild alpine strawberries for the birds, goodness me they're sweet and tasty!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the long plastic tunnels they grow them in nowadays, they're never quite the same favour IMO.

And you'd be absolutely correct, forced growth, under artificial circumstances, never make for taste.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Supermarket strawberries are invariably 'Elsanta' - the most bland and boring variety you can get.

Try planting up some old classics like 'Cambridge Favourite' - those are tasty and reliable.
    The best ever though are 'Marshmello' - a gorgeous mid-season variety.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ones from my local farm shop are great.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with every word you've said.
    I threw a punnet away from M&S, who usually have lovely strawbs as they were too sour to eat, despite being covered in Truvia.

There are bargain cherries to be had though. 800g for £6 yesterday from Waitrose, a big box. Huge cherries and very sweet. I don't normally buy cherries due to the ridiculous price.