Options

Call for "Cadbury Law"

cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Noticed in the SkyNews article that a call for a ban on "hostile takeovers of successful British companies by overseas multinationals." was called for dubbed the 'Cadbury Law'.
This follows Kraft's irresponsible actions over the Cadbury Somerdale factory.
My Fiancé who knows a worker at the Bourneville factory, has also mentioned how the 'Cadbury World' attraction is also under threat. Just hearsay however, but the words "it's not a playground, but a factory" were mentioned apparently.

Personally, I feel major British icons like Cadbury should be left well alone (although I know it's too late now for Cadbury). The UKs industries have been torn apart, and left in tatters. One can only hope that Cadbury doesn't go the same way, but no doubt it probably will. Should the Bournville factory come under threat, I can see a lot of uproar heading Kraft's way.

Sky News

Comments

• Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the balance is of forign companies in British hands as visa versa. The danger with a law like that is that we could loose out.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I wonder what the balance is of forign companies in British hands as visa versa. The danger with a law like that is that we could loose out.
    Why? The law wouldn't prevent British ownership of foreign companies.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The takeover was in the end recommended to shareholders by the Cadbury board so it was not hostile.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »

No but it would encourage tit-for-tat laws in other countries in retaliation.

Also it's a bit hyprocritical to say that British companies can buy other companies abroad but not be bought themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If we started bringing in laws to prevent foreign companies owning British companies then what is to stop foreign nations bring in laws the same.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    No but it would encourage tit-for-tat laws in other countries in retaliation.

Also it's a bit hyprocritical to say that British companies can buy other companies abroad but not be bought themselves.

Try buying a company in Japan or China and see how far you get.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Here's an Economist briefing on the subject.

Foreign companies have spent $1 trillion on acquiring 5,400 British companies in the past decade. British companies spent $750 billion for just over 6,000 companies. That's a lot of valuable Foreign Direct Investment and that's just the beginning.
  • Options
    MagicMonkeyMagicMonkey Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Try buying a company in Japan or China and see how far you get.

This shows you know nothing abt investment in China. Caryle group has poured 2.5 billion into china alone, funding start ups, companies etc
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we need are strong British companies that are less vulnerable, we won't get that with Labour running the show.
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The takeover was in the end recommended to shareholders by the Cadbury board so it was not hostile.

On the basis of False promises!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Here's an Economist briefing on the subject.

Foreign companies have spent $1 trillion on acquiring 5,400 British companies in the past decade. British companies spent $750 billion for just over 6,000 companies. That's a lot of valuable Foreign Direct Investment and that's just the beginning.

thx cpu :)
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    On that basis no takeover is hostile. :rolleyes:

It was recommended on the basis that the offer was now a good deal for shareholders. Directors have a duty to do this. That does not mean the takeover was wanted by the board. It was certainly unwelcome.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This shows you know nothing abt investment in China. Caryle group has poured 2.5 billion into china alone, funding start ups, companies etc

Hmm...actually it shows what YOU know. The biggest risk of investing in China, is that the Government there takes an active role in nationalizing anything it thinks has become a staple in Chinese life. So you spend your billions to build up a successful foreign owned enterprise, the Chinese send in a few managers and inform you they've now nationalized this company, and you can go packing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well let's hope that they won't be expecting a bail out by Western countries in a few years when everything goes pair shaped in China, which it inevitably will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If we started bringing in laws to prevent foreign companies owning British companies then what is to stop foreign nations bring in laws the same.
    There's nothing to stop foreign nations doing the same in any case. We need to start doing what is right for Britain, what happens in foreign lands is outside the remit of the government.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    There's nothing to stop foreign nations doing the same in any case. We need to start doing what is right for Britain, what happens in foreign lands is outside the remit of the government.
    And what might be right for Britain is having British companies will full access to international markets. Money coming in is the best kind of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but the point I was making was that if protecting British companies from overseas ownership did more harm in the long run to the economy as a whole then would such a law be a good thing ? Which is why I was trying to figure out how the balance lies. Also I am sure for every 'Cadbury' there is a positive story so do we assume all foreign ownership = bad ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cpu121 wrote: »
    And what might be right for Britain is having British companies will full access to international markets. Money coming in is the best kind of money.
    Stopping foreign companies from making hostile takeovers of much-loved British brands would not prevent British companies having access to international markets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopping foreign companies from making hostile takeovers of much-loved British brands would not prevent British companies having access to international markets.

Would they be ok to buy unloved British brands then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree but the point I was making was that if protecting British companies from overseas ownership did more harm in the long run to the economy as a whole then would such a law be a good thing ? Which is why I was trying to figure out how the balance lies. Also I am sure for every 'Cadbury' there is a positive story so do we assume all foreign ownership = bad ?

I'm trying to think of a case where it is been beneficial in the long term and can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *nudges the invisible post into the open*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a case where it is been beneficial in the long term and can't.

In that case, if there is no negatives, then sounds like a sensible idea. I was just wondering if this would start a 'tit for tat' effect with other nations that in the long run would cost us more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In that case, if there is no negatives, then sounds like a sensible idea. I was just wondering if this would start a 'tit for tat' effect with other nations that in the long run would cost us more.

It would probably be illegal to stop European Union countries from doing this, so I guess we'd have to either get the rules changed or leave the EU. The most evil companies tend to be based in the US though, so it might not be much of a problem.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Free Market Capitalism people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Its Free Market Capitalism people.

No it isn't, it's corporate parasitism. These companies want the brands and patents and will then move as many jobs as they can to some third world country where they can exploit the cheap labour.