Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    crofter wrote: »
    The midfield was defensive in the way it actually played - defensively ... it really is that simple and not sure why you can't grasp that.:confused:

I think you are both right. The team wasnt picked with defensive midfield players in mind but as you so rightly say it PLAYED defensively. We could have picked Jordan Rhodes and James McFadden as our central midfielders and it would have been defensive if we set them out as we did on Friday night.

The entire problem can be summed up by the fact that we simply cant keep the ball. For the first half hour Wales played as if they had Xavi and Iniesta in midfield. The kept the ball, spread the play and probed for openings. When we got the ball we........gave it straight back to them. Regardless of who is playing our complete inability to keep possession and pass the ball to another blue shirt was frankly embarrassing.

We were outplayed by WALES. A smaller country. Fair play to them but there is no excuse for that. I dont expect us to do great things against bigger nations but when we are being convincingly humiliated by the likes of Wales we know we are in trouble. It doesnt matter who is in charge or what tactics he employs if we cant even win the ball back and make simple passes then we are rightly bottom of our group and only heading in one direction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Amazing win for Dumbarton after being 3-1 down. We've had a few poor results recently , but are still on track to avoid the drop .
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So 48 hours till Serbia how bad will it be there . I am going for pick a number between 4 and 6 as a starting point
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    Amazing win for Dumbarton after being 3-1 down. We've had a few poor results recently , but are still on track to avoid the drop .

probably dunfermlines last match but good win for dumbarton.

was over at the dumbarton v morton game last week, was a comfortable victory for us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The midfield was defensive in the way it actually played - defensively ... it really is that simple and not sure why you can't grasp that.:confused:

Unless you are going to tell me it was an attacking midfield showing that was creating chance after chance.

You're making the classic error of confusing results with tactics. The fact that a team doesn't create many chances, or spends most of the game defending on their 18 yard line doesn't mean that was the intention when the manager sent out his players in the first place. If you can't hold on to the ball or win a 50-50 challenge then you're going to get pressed back and forced into defending regardless - you could have 10 strikers on the park for all it matters, you don't have any choice.
    Are you seriously saying adding a densive midfielder in there would have made us play any better because it looked like we were inviting the Welsh onto us for most of the game and it wasn't through superb counter-attacking either on their part.

We are far too negative and when the game was there to be won on both occasions we didn't have a clue how to finish the Welsh off merely choosing to try and limp over the line ...

Absolutely. It's not rocket science - if you have nobody in the middle of the park capable of winning a tackle and the balance of your midfield is completely wrong then the other team is going to dominate possession. If you don't have the ball it's impossible to play attacking football. Every good international side came to that conclusion about five years ago - it might be an idea for us to take their lead.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. It's not rocket science - if you have nobody in the middle of the park capable of winning a tackle and the balance of your midfield is completely wrong then the other team is going to dominate possession. If you don't have the ball it's impossible to play attacking football. Every good international side came to that conclusion about five years ago - it might be an idea for us to take their lead.

I dont think its a simple as that. When you have a side full of players from back to front who are so technically inept adding a defensive midfield player really means very little. Scotland's problems are so much bigger than a debate on whether a holding midfield player needs to play.
    Forum Member
    judgement day for Dunfermline, they have until 5pm to pay HMRC. going by reports Administration is not an option as they do not have money to pay the administrators.

Derek McInnes is to take over as Aberdeen manager at the SPL split. good appointment for the Dandies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    probably dunfermlines last match but good win for dumbarton.

was over at the dumbarton v morton game last week, was a comfortable victory for us

Morton have a bit to do to get promotion, I thought earlier on in the season they were certs.

I was planning to go to the Partick Dumbarton game a couple of weeks ago , but due to circs I couldn't make it . My brother went and said Partick is a very difficult ground to find :D.

Interesting to see the outcome of the Dunfermline situation
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Morton have a bit to do to get promotion, I thought earlier on in the season they were certs.

I was planning to go to the Partick Dumbarton game a couple of weeks ago , but due to circs I couldn't make it . My brother went and said Partick is a very difficult ground to find :D.

Interesting to see the outcome of the Dunfermline situation

Hopefully The Sons can win this wednesday v Raith at "The Rock" & Partick do the business away to Cowdenbeath. A step towards Div1 survival, agree with an earlier post re- Morton, big Martin Hardie has been a key player for them.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    judgement day for Dunfermline, they have until 5pm to pay HMRC. going by reports Administration is not an option as they do not have money to pay the administrators.

Derek McInnes is to take over as Aberdeen manager at the SPL split. good appointment for the Dandies.

I've seen comments in the paper about how Dunfermline fans would consider going down to div3 if it meant Masterton taking a hefty hit.

Last season set a dangerous precedent.
    Forum Member
    Hopefully The Sons can win this wednesday v Raith at "The Rock" & Partick do the business away to Cowdenbeath. A step towards Div1 survival, agree with an earlier post re- Morton, big Martin Hardie has been a key player for them.

BMMMH has been a key player this season, no doubt about that. His experiance and influence has probably pushed Michael Tidser onto the next level, Tids has shown this season that he is one of, if not the best midfielder in the division.

Although Thistle have two games in hand I would still rather have the points in the bag, having to go to Cowdenbeath twice in a week wont be easy for the Jags, hopefully the Blue Brazil will take something from either game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    I dont think its a simple as that. When you have a side full of players from back to front who are so technically inept adding a defensive midfield player really means very little. Scotland's problems are so much bigger than a debate on whether a holding midfield player needs to play.

I don't actually disagree - there are a lot of bigger issues with the national team, not least of which is the overall lack of quality - but you don't solve problems by creating new ones. There's also not a great deal you can do about having terrible players, whereas tactics are pretty easy to change.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your the kind of fan that ............ Ally lurves .......... that knows nowt about footie ! :p

Yeah and you are the kind of creep who should stick to making sausage rolls and flippin' burgers.:p
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    You're making the classic error of confusing results with tactics. The fact that a team doesn't create many chances, or spends most of the game defending on their 18 yard line doesn't mean that was the intention when the manager sent out his players in the first place. If you can't hold on to the ball or win a 50-50 challenge then you're going to get pressed back and forced into defending regardless - you could have 10 strikers on the park for all it matters, you don't have any choice.

I think it has been summed up quite clearly - it was an attacking team who quite simply weren't good enough to keep the ball and attack. Hence the fact we were on the back-foot most of the night.

Adding a defensive midfielder would have added nothing to our play and would in all probability just have encouraged the opponents on to us even more ... if that was possible.
    Forum Member
    Heavy snowfall in Serbia, game in doubt according to Richard Gordon

Probably the best result we can hope for
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMRC to counter Dunfermline administration with petition to liquidate the club
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    HMRC to counter Dunfermline administration with petition to liquidate the club

dunfermline dont really have any assets so administration really isnt an option, as much as i would like the Pars to survive as they have a decent bunch of fans i dont see them avoiding liquidation if HMRC push for it
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Leishman says liquidation would be the end of the club - funny that!
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Jim Leishman says liquidation would be the end of the club - funny that!

As is the case with any other liquidation!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has been summed up quite clearly - it was an attacking team who quite simply weren't good enough to keep the ball and attack. Hence the fact we were on the back-foot most of the night.

Adding a defensive midfielder would have added nothing to our play and would in all probability just have encouraged the opponents on to us even more ... if that was possible.

The point in a defensive midfielder is that they can win the ball back and keep it. It's a fundamental part of keeping possession - which was our number one problem against Wales (that and defending like amateurs). I don't expect anyone to agree with that argument as most of our fans think playing a defensive midfielder is a crime against humanity, but if it works for Spain, Germany and everyone else it might be an idea for us to embrace it too.

As it happens we are actually playing a defensive midfielder tonight, although I have no idea how good Liam Bridcutt is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Missing the game tonight as I am in the bristol bath area for a couple of days. Will have to settle for england game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Missing the game tonight as I am in the bristol bath area for a couple of days. Will have to settle for england game

It's on the BBC website if you've got an internet connection - I'm in London and watching it. Not been a great start by any means, but without jinxing it I wouldn't put a 0-0 past us the way it's going, mainly because the pitch is in a state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on the BBC website if you've got an internet connection - I'm in London and watching it. Not been a great start by any means, but without jinxing it I wouldn't put a 0-0 past us the way it's going, mainly because the pitch is in a state.

Only got my phone with me for once I am not watching and they doing ok for once
    Forum Member
    what is it with Caldwell, why does he find impossible to get through a game without making a mistake.

Grant Hanley has had a good game and cant really fault David Marshall, Bridcutt and Boyd both ok as well but thats about it. Emf**kingbarrassing
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on the BBC website if you've got an internet connection

The stream on the BBC site is terrible quality, much like what is on the pitch.

You get better 'illegal' streams on a Saturday afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.