Options

Masterchef Australia Season 8 (UK Pace - Please No Spoilers)

1828384858688»

Comments

• Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Who was that? I have a bad memory sorry. I remember contestants. But not what season they were in. :blush:

Spoilers! Some people are new to MCA and haven't seen the earlier series.
    I assume triton333 means Marion - she was and probably still is an amazing all round cook and came across as a lovely person. There's also Jonathan 'The Eliminator' and one of my least favourite ever contestants, Joanne. A good year - it had all the elements you could ask for in a MCA series! :D
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, cika. I did have the name there briefly, but on second thought edited it out in case any readers haven't seen that series.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    Spoilers! Some people are new to MCA and haven't seen the earlier series.
    I assume triton333 means Marion - she was and probably still is an amazing all round cook and came across as a lovely person. There's also Jonathan 'The Eliminator' and one of my least favourite ever contestants, Joanne. A good year - it had all the elements you could ask for in a MCA series! :D

Oh yes I remember now! That was a brilliant season.
  • Options
    dreamer57dreamer57 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    I was delighted that Matt and Harry both came away with a prize fund. They deserve to have long careers in food.

This being my first season, I was rather surprised to see a pressure test as the final challenge. It really should have been about their own food. Not recreating something over-complicated. The final should be their calling card to the profession - look at what I can create. Not look at how well I can follow a list of instructions to recreate a ridiculously overcomplicated dish.

But it is still better than our version.

I agree with you. I prefer the masterchef UK final as each finalist makes their own 3-course menu.
    Here we had them doing two courses and then spending over 5 hours on a new never-before seen dessert which most chefs will never do!
  • Options
    holymolybaloneyholymolybaloney Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, very late to the party but I only just finished watching S8 last night!

As much as Elena was a deserving winner I did want Matt to win, purely on my own preference for their personalities. I thought he was very amusing when he "presented" the masterclass where the judges were cooking.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this forum every day after I'd caught up but a shame I couldn't join in with the banter. This thread is the nicest (apart from that little blip with someone trying to start an argument....) and funniest I've read on DS. Hopefully I can watch in real time this year and join in with the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI, the next series begins in Australia on Monday (& the grand final of rival MKR is on Sunday). It's time to activate your spoiler-avoidance plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    FYI, the next series begins in Australia on Monday (& the grand final of rival MKR is on Sunday). It's time to activate your spoiler-avoidance plans.

Activated!

W are starting a re-run of Series 8 on 3 April which i hope it's a lead-in to series 9. Although with the number of ancient shows they're filling their schedules with now I'm wondering whether they can afford it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George has had bad press in recent weeks for underpaying 200 staff $2.6 million at his restaurants. He claims the cause was poor processes and bookkeeping. Apparently underpaying staff is pretty common in the industry, but the spotlight has been on George because of his profile. It's left a bad taste (pun intended) with MCA about to start. The review in one TV guide today starts "Oh George. Have you ruined MasterChef for me forever?" We'll see in the weeks ahead what damage it's done to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27/04/17 - 18:29 #2185
    triton333 wrote: »
    George has had bad press in recent weeks for underpaying 200 staff $2.6 million at his restaurants. He claims the cause was poor processes and bookkeeping. Apparently underpaying staff is pretty common in the industry, but the spotlight has been on George because of his profile. It's left a bad taste (pun intended) with MCA about to start. The review in one TV guide today starts "Oh George. Have you ruined MasterChef for me forever?" We'll see in the weeks ahead what damage it's done to the show.

Michel Roux Jr had a similar 'outing', I think it was last year. It doesn't seem to have done him any damage. I suppose the test will be in the viewing figures this year and then whether George makes it to series 10, if there is one.

O/T Still hate the new(ish) forum layout. I don't come here often now, it's so ugly, so much wasted space.