Little Mix - Salute (2nd Album)

Comments

• kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga, The Killers and not to mention Keane (who've had 4 #1 albums in a row) are releasing the same week.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a fantastic album. can't believe thisi s the same group that gave us DNA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they've done very well with this album. It won't surprise me if it's their breakthrough
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of position, it will sell well
    It all depends on the single choices. 2/4 singles choices were spot on for DNA
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Regardless of position, it will sell well
    It all depends on the single choices. 2/4 singles choices were spot on for DNA

2/4? I'd say Change Your Life was the only wrong single but that's just because it's the song I liked the least on DNA. Other fans loved it.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite the bold move to go very "r&b" for this album...wonder if it will pay off.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Best album I've heard this year. They have really worked hard on this you can tell.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    This album is sooooooooooo good!

It's one of the best albums I've heard in ages and is one of the best albums released by a girl group I have ever heard . It's getting really good reviews as well, they could be massive with this album. It will go down in history as one of the best girl group albums ever, trust me.

It deserves to sell loads!

we are in the midst of an ICONIC album!
  • matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW! I am VERY impressed with this album! One of the best albums from a group I've heard in many years! The production, lyrics, harmonies are all amazing!
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really is brilliant.

Mr Loverboy is my favourite so far.

It's very very different to DNA and SO much better. Really glad they've moved on from the cutesy colourful image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I loved DNA but this album is in another league its sooooooooooo good

I keep forgetting they came from X Factor
    Forum Member
    Question! what song does little me sample at the beginning??? i cant think what song it is
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question! what song does little me sample at the beginning??? i cant think what song it is

It is Fauré's Pavane, a classical piece. S Club 7 used it on 'Natural' I believe and I suspect it has been used elsewhere.

It doesn't stop 'Little Me' from being a good song, mind you.
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    It is Fauré's Pavane, a classical piece. S Club 7 used it on 'Natural' I believe and I suspect it has been used elsewhere.

yes S Club 7!! thats why i recognise it lol.. yes its a brill song
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love that piece. It worked so surprisingly well in "Natural" too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awh I really don't wanna be negative (and please don't all attack at once) I think this is a good album, definitely future hits will come from it but I think DNA the album is actually a better album (single wise).
    I don't get people saying its "the album of the year".. Each to their own I guess.

For me, im a little disappointed: DS gave it 5stars , im hearing everywhere that its amazing etc. Yet, I think alot of the tracks sound similar. Its by no means a bad album but definitely not as brilliant as people are saying.

I was left disappointed after all the hype.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everyone says that but when Jade begins her verse its almost note for note Cat Stevens' Wild World. Maybe I recognize it because I'm older. It kind of ruins it for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Musick1 wrote: »
    I was left disappointed after all the hype.

It's always the curse of acclaim. :sleep:

Don't be scared. You're entitled to your opinion :D

I think part of the reason why the album is being well received is because it's closer to the image they had on the X Factor. They were portrayed as a more fusion between the pop and likability of The Spice Girls, with the stylings and vocal harmonies of Destiny's Child/En Vogue.

DNA was a departure from that appearance. People wanted Pop/RnB and what they got was predominantly Pop/Dance-Pop with some a sprinkling of RnB.

With Salute, it's clear that the lyrics have been improved. Additionally the vocals are incredible. However, perhaps most important is that the album is cohesive. Perhaps that's why you think it's sounds samey. Likely due to the fact that RnB was the primary influence for this record.

Regardless, in my opinion, this album is strong solely on the merits of Stand Down (deluxe track), Boy, and Move which are all incredible songs and show just how much these girls have grown in a year and how much their image has developed.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone says that but when Jade begins her verse its almost note for note Cat Stevens' Wild World. Maybe I recognize it because I'm older. It kind of ruins it for me.

Where do you think Cat Stevens got the progression from?
    It wouldn't be the first time a writer 'borrowed' from the past.
    'Wild World' and 'Pavane' are both based on a common chord progression you get in Spanish traditional music to indicate mourning.

Cat Stevens has talked about that in the past. He wrote the song about his relationship with Patti d'Arbanville. About whom he also wrote my fav Cat Stevens' song, 'Lady D'Arbanville'.

I think the LM song works well.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really liking this album. Very impressed with it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I disagree. It's much more grown up and more appealing to an older audience
    They have really done themselves proud. A second album can make or break an artist and I hope this explodes for them. It's more of a winner like Angels with dirty faces then a stinker like Wordshaker.

Wordshaker wasn't that bad! Okay it was a flop and the whole era was mismanaged but the album itself was ok. It had a few decent songs on it. Love Angels With Dirty Faces. It's one of my favourite Sugababes albums.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know which song is the wings part two they mentioned before the albums release?
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a Destiny's Child album with a more pop edge. I love it.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a Destiny's Child album with a more pop edge. I love it.

absolutely nothing like destiny's child to me, i only got the album because people were raving that it harks back to destinys child.
    not at all.

im disapointed to be honest, but i will reserve more judgement till i have given the album a few spins.

but after first listen, im bored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a LM fan, I grow weary of the Destiny's Child comparison, as well as the Spice Girls comparisons and everything else as flattering as it is.

Salute is a very much a Little Mix album and it's a very good pop-rnb record and step up from DNA, there are some DC influences in there but if anybody is expecting the next 'Writings on the Wall' in terms of sound then I wouldn't.