Had Simon Cowell been a judge on the show between series 8-10...

Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
Forum Member
Who do you think he'd have liked and not liked so much? I think he'd have liked Little Mix and James Arthur but would have probably not been so fond of Sam Bailey.

Comments

• drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Who do you think he'd have liked and not liked so much? I think he'd have liked Little Mix and James Arthur but would have probably not been so fond of Sam Bailey.

Well, I'm not sure about Little Mix given that it was reported in the media and in his biography that he didn't think they were attractive enough or strong vocalists. I can't find the link but in the same article it said he thought The Risk were disrespectful when he chatted to all the acts. Obviously Cowell's attitude to Little Mix has changed now they are making him money.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure about Little Mix given that it was reported in the media and in his biography that he didn't think they were attractive enough or strong vocalists.

This was the guy who passed on the (The?) Spice Girls. :p I think he would have pushed Amelia Lily and The Risk on their season. Good thing he wasnt around for LM. They would have been wobbling on heels and singing Venus and out right away.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    drakhen wrote: »
    Obviously Cowell's attitude to Little Mix has changed now they are making him money.

Same too with James Arthur.

Funny how desperate Simon Cowell wants to be associated with success? I wouldn't be at all surprised if James Arthur is dropped (again) by SYCO before the end of 2017 after one single won over the public, then all follow up singles bombed.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Same too with James Arthur.

Funny how desperate Simon Cowell wants to be associated with success? I wouldn't be at all surprised if James Arthur is dropped (again) by SYCO before the end of 2017 after one single won over the public, then all follow up singles bombed.

I know we tend to be hard on Syco for dropping acts after follow up singles after a hit all bomb, but let's be honest, would other record labels be much different?
  • Rachel_HarrisonRachel_Harrison Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I know we tend to be hard on Syco for dropping acts after follow up singles after a hit all bomb, but let's be honest, would other record labels be much different?

Other record labels have to put a lot of effort into getting that initial hit for a new artist. SYCO relies on the XF for almost all its new artist promo.

It's a different business model.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if they would have formed Little Mix. He may have pushed Perrie as a solo artist in that year.

I think he would have played Kelly and Tulisa off each other more to create more of a rivalry there, instead of the Louis-and-Tulisa vs Kelly-and-Gary as 'fun' vs 'reasonable' dynamic that that series ended up with.

Most importantly for that series, Simon would have shut down the Misha B bullying thing before it could have taken hold, or stepped in right away to shut Louis and Tulisa up once they got going.

I think series 9 and 10 would have gone markedly differently. He would have played more safe with Ella Henderson to get her top 4, and more aggressive against Maloney, like they did with Janet, giving her MMBop, to get him out sooner. Simon also wouldn't have liked Jahmene, I don't think.

The Sam Bailey year must have been a gift to Sharon to get her to come back. There's no other way she would have been allowed to bring Sam Bailey to the lives along with two cheap copies of her as the entire Overs category. I think Tamera would have been ringfenced and pushed as far as possible. As soon as she started struggling with lyrics, they could have given her dance songs and standard ballads that everyone knows the words to. I wouldn't put it past him to have given her an autocue either.

He wouldn't have liked Nicky McDonald or Luke Friend either. Really that series was an absolute shambles, poor casting, a pregnancy, Tamera Foster having a criminal past and being kept on and pushed in spite of it, bad control of the press... really not good. Culminating with a final comprising a middle aged mother looking for a second chance vs two schoolboys with no life experience, yet who 'wanted this more than anything ever in the world'. Aye right. No doubt as to which way that one was going to go.
  • lewismacflewismacf Posts: 14,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wouldn't have wanted Sam to win