EE - Feel the love

ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,295
Forum Member
I have to say in recent times i feel that ive got my EastEnders back. I really look forward to watching now rather than out of habit. Characters i used to hate have been completely turned around. We have had some intense, dramatic scenes such as Lees suicide attempt and Denises adoption reveal. The show seems to be climbing to new heights.

The drivel of comedy gavs mansion and grants return feels like a distant memory. I cannot wait to see what else SOC has got in store.

Anyone else loving the show right now?

Comments

• bass55bass55 Posts: 18,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning Scrabs, couldn't agree more. EastEnders is once again a show I look forward to watching/catching up on rather than doing so out of habit. If it carries on like this I genuinely think we're heading towards a new golden era, and I don't say that lightly. SOC's work so far has been better than anything we've seen since at least 2005, which was probably the last time I found the show unmissable week in, week out.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's doing great right now definitely enjoying it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yep it's back on track,cannot wait to see what this week brings us
  • absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I have to say in recent times i feel that ive got my EastEnders back. I really look forward to watching now rather than out of habit. Characters i used to hate have been completely turned around. We have had some intense, dramatic scenes such as Lees suicide attempt and Denises adoption reveal. The show seems to be climbing to new heights.

The drivel of comedy gavs mansion and grants return feels like a distant memory. I cannot wait to see what else SOC has got in store.

Anyone else loving the show right now?

Absolutely agreed. From SOC's very first episodes he stamped a new tone on the show. Simple things like a group of characters sitting outside Martin and Stacey's house helping them move in were just brilliant.

I think it's wonderful that he realises something "explosive" does not need to happen every week and when something dramatic does happen it has more impact. The invasion in the pub is one example (although I would have liked to have seen more on how such a traumatic event affects the people involved).

My only complaints - really liked Les and Pam, hope he gets rid of Vincent.

Also, *well done* on having the balls to recast 'Chelle, my all-time favourite miserable cow of a soap character.

:)
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,295
    Forum Member
    Great to see such positive posts, im glad im not the only one who is enjoying it at the moment.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago before Christmas the show was extremely boring, but lately it's been a lot better. I hope this continues throughout the year.
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I totally agree and it's so lovely to see a positive thread. Hopefully we won't get hijacked by trolls...

I think SOC has done a really good job at picking the show back up and it really did need to be picked back up. DTC went off the rails a bit, for me, towards the end of his stint. Someone used Gavin and the mansion as an example and they're totally right. I was, however, a bit worried around October time that SOC hadn't got the balance quite right even though I was enjoying it - it seemed to be very much low-key drama and I felt the show needed some big drama, but I always said he was building to something. The show is unmissable right now and I think he's done a brilliant job so far. More of this please!
  • absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree and it's so lovely to see a positive thread. Hopefully we won't get hijacked by trolls...

I think SOC has done a really good job at picking the show back up and it really did need to be picked back up. DTC went off the rails a bit, for me, towards the end of his stint. Someone used Gavin and the mansion as an example and they're totally right. I was, however, a bit worried around October time that SOC hadn't got the balance quite right even though I was enjoying it - it seemed to be very much low-key drama and I felt the show needed some big drama, but I always said he was building to something. The show is unmissable right now and I think he's done a brilliant job so far. More of this please!

Scary Gavin's Nightmare Mansion was a low point in the entire history of EE. Laughably bad and thankfully quickly forgotten to never be mentioned again.

I also have a theory that when a darts team or 5-a-side football team rears it's ugly head the end is nigh for the current producer.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOC has worked wonders. He's made some bold moves but the writing and pacing has vastly improved under him. R&R's final episode was a masterpiece in my opinion although it's sad the controversy of killing them off overshadowed what was a brilliant send-off.

It's great to see a healthy mix of everyday life scenes and dramatic events - as well as previously unlikeable characters being redeemed.

Hopefully SOC will introduce a new family this year with no previous links to the square. I definitely think he has it in him to pull it off successfully.
    Forum Member
    All I know is that I am really looking forward to tonights episode, so that has to be a good sign.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about that. Comedy Gav's Fun House arguably redefined the soap genre for a generation, and is taught as a case study in storytelling classes across the country.
    Forum Member
    I want to see a family of Eastern Europeans,it's about time a soap had some