Options

Amy Williams?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed that Amy is still being referred to as Amy Pond.
Did I miss something?
Is this still her name, now that she's married?
Did they have some sort of matrilineal (not sure if it's the right word) arrangement. If so is Rory now Rory Pond?

Comments

• Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solid60 wrote: »
    I've noticed that Amy is still being referred to as Amy Pond.
    Did I miss something?
    Is this still her name, now that she's married?
    Did they have some sort of matrilineal (not sure if it's the right word) arrangement. If so is Rory now Rory Pond?

I dont' know what their real arrangement was, of course:D, but I know a lot of females in my generation are keeping their maiden name when they get married. I don't want to start on feminine issues, but it has always annoyed me that it is expected that a woman takes a man's name and that we have Miss and Mrs, but only Mr:mad:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to start on feminine issues, but it has always annoyed me that it is expected that a woman takes a man's name and that we have Miss and Mrs, but only Mr:mad:.

I was only asking !:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was only asking !:D

Sorry:o:o. I realised my post sounded quite rude, and wasn't directed at you at all. Over the last few days I had just a lot of different problems with titles in different shops, it has started to annoy me:D
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I dont' know what their real arrangement was, of course:D, but I know a lot of females in my generation are keeping their maiden name when they get married. I don't want to start on feminine issues, but it has always annoyed me that it is expected that a woman takes a man's name and that we have Miss and Mrs, but only Mr:mad:.

What about Master?

No, not that one, I was referring to the title of Master, as opposed to Mr :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I thought Rory was changing his surname to Pond?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nimicitor wrote: »
    I thought Rory was changing his surname to Pond?

I'd assumed that was just banter from The Doctor.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It certainly sounded like just banter. We dont know for sure what the arrangement is. We either take what was said on screen as the way it is going to be (the ponds) or we wait until we see the end credits on the christmas episode (have to be careful here or we might have to admit he really is called Dr Who) or they might say something onscreen . Or we can agree that it is of no importance what she calls herself . Do women still take the mans name these days? My wife didn't take mine and it never occurred to me that she would. Only when other people bought it up after the wedding and they thought it odd we hadn't discussed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    It certainly sounded like just banter. We dont know for sure what the arrangement is. We either take what was said on screen as the way it is going to be (the ponds) or we wait until we see the end credits on the christmas episode (have to be careful here or we might have to admit he really is called Dr Who) or they might say something onscreen . Or we can agree that it is of no importance what she calls herself . Do women still take the mans name these days? My wife didn't take mine and it never occurred to me that she would. Only when other people bought it up after the wedding and they thought it odd we hadn't discussed it.

I certainly don't think it's important what she's called, I was just really wondering out loud.
    To be honest, and predominantly due to my age I suspect, I'd assumed a more "traditional stance". I am at fault for not considering that times have moved on . . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly don't think it's important what she's called, I was just really wondering out loud.
    To be honest, and predominantly due to my age I suspect, I'd assumed a more "traditional stance". I am at fault for not considering that times have moved on . . .

Why should you though:), we can all just talk about our own experiences! My mum certainly wouldn't have kept her maiden name. Looking at Amy and how feisty her character is supposed to be, I would assume she would keep her own name. I also think that it's been established as a nickname as well.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very common for actresses to keep their maiden names - so ironically when some lucky swine finally takes Karen up the aisle (ooh-err misses!) she'll probably stay Karen Gillan, though it would still be very unusual for him to change his surname.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

You are at no fault whatsoever and have nothing to apologise for. I worded that bit badly. I am possibly in a minority. The first bit answers your question - we dont know yet . The second bit is just me waffling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, although I think it is just as bad to expect a man to take his wifes surname. I would much rather married couples got to choose a new surname for themselves, that way they could pick something that they both were comfortable with.

Either that or just abolish surnames and have goverment issued family index numbers, which would ofcourse be changed to a new number on marriage. Amy and Rory #51,789,234 has a nice ring to it don't you think ;)

As for the use of Miss, Mrs, Mr, Sir, Madam, Master and all the rest I always thought that they were antiquated and should just be dropped from use entirely. Whats wrong with just using Sam Bloggs instead of Mr Sam Bloggs or Mrs Sam Bloggs, really what do the prefixes add to a name?
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Apart from denoting martial status, nothing at all :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it only denotes marital status for women, as both single and married men use Mr. In any case what has a persons marital status got to do with anybody else other than themselves? People should not be discriminated against just because they are single or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    But it only denotes marital status for women, as both single and married men use Mr. In any case what has a persons marital status got to do with anybody else other than themselves? People should not be discriminated against just because they are single or not.

If you are a doctor (PhD or medical), your title changes to Doctor anyway. Seems like a hierarch for females, you start off with Miss, then you might get married = Mrs, then you get a higher education and you become a doctor. I think I agree that we don't need a title at all, because there is no difference between single or married, or between doctor or non-doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    You are at no fault whatsoever and have nothing to apologise for.

Apart from starting this thread. I didn't see it turning out like this.

I don't even know what smiley to use :confused::D:(:o
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »

Are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from starting this thread. I didn't see it turning out like this.

I don't even know what smiley to use :confused::D:(:o

Sorry, I actually thought it's quite an interesting and philosophical question what a title means:o. I honestly think there is a generation divide now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I actually thought it's quite an interesting and philosophical question what a title means:o. I honestly think there is a generation divide now.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better:)
    I probably didn't start this very well. I was just interested in the DW side of it. call it continuity, if you like.
    I'm really not interested in the social issues,they are not why I come to this site. I should have realised that there was a real chance that this would end up being hijacked as some kind of gender agenda issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for trying to make me feel better:)
    I probably didn't start this very well. I was just interested in the DW side of it. call it continuity, if you like.
    I'm really not interested in the social issues,they are not why I come to this site. I should have realised that there was a real chance that this would end up being hijacked as some kind of gender agenda issue.

Well to a certain degree your OP looked a bit as if you were interested in the social issues, but in a positive way:). However to respond to the intended issue of the thread (Doctor Who continuity) I honestly think that the Doctor was joking when he referred to Rory as Mr Pond (I think throughout the series, the implication was that Amy is somehow the more dominant part of the couple). IMO Rory is still Mr Williams. Amy might either keep her own name, maybe as an indication of her independence and I think Moff likes his fairytale creation. On the other hand, we didn't really find out what the name arrangement was, so maybe Amy is now Amy Williams, but the Doctor will keep referring to her as Pond.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    On the other hand, we didn't really find out what the name arrangement was, so maybe Amy is now Amy Williams

So it should be and she should be hugely thankful that Rory married her in the first place. I also hope in Series 6 she spends a little less time having super adventures and a little more time in the TARDIS kitchen.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should you though:), we can all just talk about our own experiences! My mum certainly wouldn't have kept her maiden name. Looking at Amy and how feisty her character is supposed to be, I would assume she would keep her own name. I also think that it's been established as a nickname as well.

i am an old traditionalist I'm afraid! My best friend is rather an independent woman and on the day she got married she told her husband she was hyphernating her name but putting her name first! She hadn't even discussed it with her hubby who looked a little downtrodden!

I believe that if you truly love someone and you want to marry them, you become unified. One. Therefore you share name and by traditional values it is the man's name you take!

This isn't a dfig at you by the way! It's just my view!:)
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    i am an old traditionalist I'm afraid! My best friend is rather an independent woman and on the day she got married she told her husband she was hyphernating her name but putting her name first! She hadn't even discussed it with her hubby who looked a little downtrodden!

I believe that if you truly love someone and you want to marry them, you become unified. One. Therefore you share name and by traditional values it is the man's name you take!

some friends of mine jointly changed their names to a new one on their marriage :)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

The problem is when they have a kid and it uses the hyphenated name - say Mary Smith-Jones.

And she marries a boy with a similarly hyphenated name - Tom Brown-Jackson.

So they have a kid called Archie Smith-Jones-Brown-Jackson.

I always think it's funny when women refuse to take the man's name when they marry - it means they keep their Dad's name instead!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webslark wrote: »
    some friends of mine jointly changed their names to a new one on their marriage :)

Fair play to them. Don't see the point though! After all a woman after divorce can be a self proclaimed Ms. but a man is always Mr.

I think if my name was Poopants or Bollockdroppings I would be happy for my missus to keep her name! It is the man's responsibility to keep their family name alive so a name is important to a bloke.