DW Cast Members in Other Roles.

CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
Forum Member
✭✭
While we do get the occasional thread about certain cast members in other projects I thought we might as well have a general one.

So to start off.

Karen Gillen has been cast in the lead Villain role of Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy.

Comments

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't see her as a villain but look forward to seeing if she has range.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Gillian was in the 2011 BBC4 drama We'll Take Manhattan, which I've got on DVD.

Lindsay Duncan (Adelade Brooke): A Year In Provence

Olivia Coleman (Prisoner Zero): Rev, That Mitchell & Webb Look, Peep Show, Green Wing, & Broadchurch

David Tennant (Tenth Doctor): Secret Smile, Takin' over The Assylum, Casanova, Quatermass, (BBC4 Drama), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Peter Davison (Fifth Doctor): Campion, All Creatures Great and Small, Sink Or Swim

Arthur Darvill (Rory): Broadchurch

Matt Smith (Eleventh Doctor): Secret Diary of a Call Girl & Ruby In The Smoke

Camile Coduri (Jackie Tyler): Him & Her, Nuns on the Run, Ashes To Ashes

Noel Clarke (Mickey Smith): Adulthood (Movie)

Robert Glenister (Caves of Androzani): Appropriate Adult, We'll Take Manhattan

Freema Ageyman (Martha Jones): Survivors (Remake), Law & Order UK

Colin Baker (Sixth Doctor): Jonathan Creek

Billie Piper (Rose Tyler): Secret Diary of a Call Girl, Sally Lockhart Mysteries

William Hartnell (First Doctor): Brighton Rock (Movie), Carry On Seargent (Movie)

Angela Bruce (Winifred Bambera): Takin' Over The Asylum, Coronation Street, Only Fools and Horses (Heroes and Villains), Red Dwarf (as female Lister)

Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor): Inspector Morse, The Box of Delights, The Two of Us, The Omen (Movie), Robin Hood (1953 TV series, mostly, if not all, missing from archives)

Chris Eccleston (Ninth Doctor): Our Friends in the North, Shallow Grave (Movie), Lennon Naked, The Second Coming

Surranne Jones (Idris/Human Tardis): Coronation Street, Scott & Bailey

Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper & Gwyneth): Framed (with Trevor Eve), Frankie

Jon Pertwee (Third Doctor): Wurzell Gummidge, Carry On Cowboy (Movie)

Sheridan Smith (Lucie Miller in Paul McGann DW Audios): Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, Grownups, Mrs Biggs, Jonathan Creek

Kate O' Mara (Rani): Ab Fab (as Patsy's sister Jackie), Howard's Way

Catherine Tate (Donna Temple-Noble): Men Behaving Badly, London's Burning, Catherine Tate Show, Wild West (2002 TV series with Dawn French), Big Train (Series 2)

Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler): Survivors (Remake), Rock & Chips

Mona Hammond (Rita Anne-Smith): Munroe, EastEnders

I got Campion with Peter Davison on DVD the other day. I found it in a charity shop for £4. It was priced at £4 because it was every episode ever broadcast on 4 DVDs. The condition of the discs are quite good.

Haven't got round to seeing Campion yet, though. It has also got Brian Glover in it, and he was in Attack of the Cybermen. Maurice Colebourne was in AOTC too. He was also in Howard's Way between 1985 & 1989
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Slight correction, she's playing lead female villain rather than lead villain overall, but that's still a massive gig and will hopefully lead to others for her.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Gillian is also the lead in a forthcoming romantic comedy called Not Another Happy Ending, which is the closing night film of this years Edinburgh film fest, this suggests it's a good film. (Well at least the EIFF programmers like it)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Karen Gillian is also the lead in a forthcoming romantic comedy called Not Another Happy Ending, which is the closing night film of this years Edinburgh film fest, this suggests it's a good film. (Well at least the EIFF programmers like it)

According to the official brochure I have beside me: "Gillan's performance carries this bright and smoothly done romantic comedy. Her mobile features indicate her vulnerability and her susceptibility to the people around her. At the same time, she conveys a winning optimism that becomes the keynote of the character." Certainly she seemed very good in the bit I saw being filmed last year and if nothing else it's going to look gorgeous with John McKay behind the camera.

Really hoping that this Guardians of the Galaxy info is right, always wanted to see her take on both a villain role and a comic book movie. Also, and it's early so someone please check me on this, wouldn't she be the first lead female villain of the Marvel Movie Universe?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor) - Vision On, Jigsaw

Louise Jameson (Leela) - Rosa DiMarco (Eastenders), Susan Young (Bergerac) ...

Sophie Aldred (Ace) - Dennis & Gnasher (voice of Dennis)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy- The Hobbit (As Rrrradagast the Brown)
    Peter Davison- I'm pretty sure I saw him in Midsomer Murders once...playing cricket.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tennant AND Sophie Aldred in Tree Fu Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_Fu_Tom

Patrick Troughton - Knights Of God

Several other actors who appeared in that show have also been on Doctor Who at one time or another

John Woodvine - The Marshal in The Armageddon Factor
    Nigel Stock - Professor Hayter in Timeflight
    Don Henderson - Gavrok in Delta and the Bannermen
    Michael - Various characters
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Yes its great shes getting these big roles and congratulations to her...:D

But..
    Corwin wrote: »
    Karen Gillen has been cast in the lead Villain role of Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy.
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Karen Gillian was in the 2011 BBC4 drama We'll Take Manhattan, which I've got on DVD.
    Karen Gillian is also the lead in a forthcoming romantic comedy called Not Another Happy Ending,

Is it really that difficult to spell her name correctly.. Karen GILLAN - If you can't learn it after 3 years!:eek:
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've just finished watching the entire run of the Survivors remake and I noticed a few in there. Namely Freema Agyeman, Patterson Joseph (who was in the series 1 finale) and Roger Lloyd-Pack (Lumic from Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel). Also Paul Copley and Nikki Amuka-Bird who were both in Torchwood.

ETA: Not to mention Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler).
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Freema Ageyman appeared as a regular in Crossroads 2003 too.
    Mark Strickson was in Angels.
    Bonnie Langford was sqweeeeeming away in Just William and Junior Showtime before becoming an ice-skater!
    Sylvestor McCoy was a mad professor in Vision On.
    Peter Davison bared his (almost) naked body in The Tomorrow People :eek:
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Bernard Cribbins and Freema Agyeman are in CBeebies Old Jacks Boat.. The writer of that is familiar too ;). (it's Russell T)

Freema is in the US series The Carrie Diaries.

Law and Order UK has seen a few ex Who people. Currently Peter Davison is playing head of the CPS.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PD in A Very Peculiar Practice from the mid 80's, also featuring David Troughton (The War Games, Curse Of Peladon from the classic series & Midnight from the new series!) & Graham Crowden (from The Horns Of Nimon).
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching the entire run of the Survivors remake and I noticed a few in there. Namely Freema Agyeman, Patterson Joseph (who was in the series 1 finale) and Roger Lloyd-Pack (Lumic from Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel). Also Paul Copley and Nikki Amuka-Bird who were both in Torchwood.

ETA: Not to mention Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler).

Ronny Jhutti who played Danny Bartock in The Satan Pit/Impossible Planet was in the Survivors remake

Roger Lloyd-Pack appeared in the original Survivors and was the only actor to appear in both versions

Speaking of the original Survivors several actors from that have appeared in Who as well

Ian McCulloch - Nilson in Warriors of the Deep
    Dennis Lill - Dr Fendelman in Image of the Fendahl and Sir George Hutchinson in The Awakening
    John Abineri - Van Lutyens in Fury of the Deep, General Carrington in Ambassadors of Death, Railton in Death to the Daleks and Ranquin in The Power of Kroll

David Troughton appeared in one episode as did Philip Madoc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhoMad wrote: »
    Yes its great shes getting these big roles and congratulations to her...:D

But..

Is it really that difficult to spell her name correctly.. Karen GILLAN - If you can't learn it after 3 years!:eek:

LOL, the Edinburgh film festival expects to sell 1600 £15 cinema tix off the back of her name value, and no one knows her name. Te he.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elsabeth Sladen was a shop assistant in Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Patrick Troughton played Israel Hands in a 70s serial of Treasure Island (incidentally, David Collings, who played Poul in Robots of Death, was also in that, playing Blind Pew)

Maureen O'Brien (Hartnell companion Vicky) played Morgan le Fay in Legend of King Arthur.

Sophie Aldred presented CBBC show Corners before playing Ace.

Sarah Sutton (Nyssa) played the heroine Diana in childrens drama The Moon Stallon pre-Doctor Who.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »

And on the subject of Marvel DW/links, Jenna-Louise
    Coleman was in "Captain America", and Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith the Accursed in "Thor 2:the Dark World".
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Ben Jackson (Michael Craze) had a stint in Crossroads in the 70's as Stan Harvey's cousin.
    Zoe Herriot (Wendy Padbury) also guest-starred in Crossroads.
    Leela (Louise Jameson) appeared in EastEnders.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Leela (Louise Jameson) appeared in EastEnders.

Mary Tamm (Romana I) did too, around 2009/10.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, the Edinburgh film festival expects to sell 1600 £15 cinema tix off the back of her name value, and no one knows her name. Te he.

Well it's only been on general sale for 4 hours and the stalls are about 2/3rds sold, and it's a fairly big theatre (yes, theatre, not just a cinema screen), so your laughter seems a little premature. Of course there are plenty more tickets to sell, but a lot have sold since I booked this morning.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker as kinky Father Ferguson in The Life and Loves of a She Devil.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently watching Lalla Ward as the future Elizabeth I in The Prince and The Pauper (1977).

Oh and I saw Noel Clarke in Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's only been on general sale for 4 hours and the stalls are about 2/3rds sold, and it's a fairly big theatre (yes, theatre, not just a cinema screen), so your laughter seems a little premature. Of course there are plenty more tickets to sell, but a lot have sold since I booked this morning.

I was laughing at internet typos. I know how big the theatre is, that is the reason I said 1600 seats. Because that's how many there are. I saw The Illusionist, The Guard, Perfect Sense, Brave, The Man Who Would Be King & Killer Joe in there. It's not brilliant for cinema to be honest, the seats are small and in a lot of them you're either too far away or too close to the screen.

And seeing as how I'm busy that day and can't go, I hope she doesn't turn up. They've not officially said KG is gonna be there have they? I presume she will be, but I'd laugh if Guardians of the Galaxy required her then. :p;)
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman

This year has been seen in

Arrow
    Zero Dark Thirty (movie)
    All Stars (movie)
    Scandal

He was also in

My Family
    Hussle
    Hotel Babylon

Pre DW roles included

The Producers (movie)
    Shark Attack 3 Megaladon (movie) :D
    De Lovely (movie)
    Putting it Together (TV/Musical)
    Titans
    Central Park West

And his (clothed) backside was in The Untouchables (movie)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've not officially said KG is gonna be there have they? I presume she will be, but I'd laugh if Guardians of the Galaxy required her then. :p;)

Yes, they have said she will be, although I doubt she'll actually be in watchig the movie. She was meant to be at a Doctor Who convention that day but they've moved her appearance to the previous day so she can come to the festival.

They do really need her to sell the movie, and the Scottish girl done good approach will probably shift a few more tickets up here. Her name is certainly getting a lot of my student friends interested.

On a separate note, the less I remember about John Barrowman in Zero Dark Thirty, the better - 3 minutes onscreen and he managed to ruin the movie for me!