Emergency contact app for Nook tablet (Android).

Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

We have just bought our 5 year old twins Nook tablets and was wondering if there is an app that they can use to contact myself or my wife if there is a problem at home (say if one of us hurts ourselves and they need to contact the other parent)

I see there are apps for phones that you can SMS contacts in the push of a button but not sure if they have something for tablets over wireless?

Was hoping that there was something they can just start the app, press a button and it will contact both of us.

Cheers Mark.

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Without stating the obvious why should 5 yr olds be at home and need to contact you?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Without stating the obvious why should 5 yr olds be at home and need to contact you?

I never said the they would be home alone.

It's just if me or my wife has an accident or unconscious in some way then they can contact the other parent (sending a message to both of us when they press a button on the tablet).
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few "panic button" apps on the Play Store that seem to allow sending an email, which could be an option but you're relying then on you having a data signal wherever you may be. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to rely on email in an emergency situation. There are a few email to SMS (email2sms) services that could convert that preconfigured email into an SMS, but this is now relying on a third-party service which, again, I'm not sure I'd want to be doing.

A different option might be to install a VoIP app (eg. Hangouts Dialler) to allow them to make direct calls to you from the device - if your and your wife's numbers were saved as recent entries, it would be trivial to select and call them.

Again, though, I'm not sure any of these are robust enough that I'd want to be relying on them in an emergency, but without phone connectivity on the tablet, I don't think the perfect solution is there unfortunately.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few "panic button" apps on the Play Store that seem to allow sending an email, which could be an option but you're relying then on you having a data signal wherever you may be. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to rely on email in an emergency situation. There are a few email to SMS (email2sms) services that could convert that preconfigured email into an SMS, but this is now relying on a third-party service which, again, I'm not sure I'd want to be doing.

A different option might be to install a VoIP app (eg. Hangouts Dialler) to allow them to make direct calls to you from the device - if your and your wife's numbers were saved as recent entries, it would be trivial to select and call them.

Again, though, I'm not sure any of these are robust enough that I'd want to be relying on them in an emergency, but without phone connectivity on the tablet, I don't think the perfect solution is there unfortunately.

Thanks for that.

I might have to look into VOIP on them.

Cheers, Mark.