Cat clawed carpet under door. Can it a be stretched?

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get a wide gripper or make one out of a thin but strong bit of wood and stain it screw it down tight.

Train your cat not to claw anything with a squirter water bottle or pistol I have never had a cat destroy anything.. I would pick them up mid scratch as kittens and take them to their scratch post and press their claws out and run them down the post, scratch anywhere other than that and you get water squirted they soon learn without ill affects .. Do not spray them in the face just a quick squirt up the back end or side is enough makes sure it has a good range

Tried that but that didn't work either because he never does it when we're in the house. He only over does it when he's left in the house or when we're in bed. Sometimes I forget to close the lounge door at night and that's when he's been in and had a go at the sofa. If I shut too many doors he claws at the door or the carpet to get in so not always a good idea. I did everything you say. I've had books on cat behaviour to stop all this. Believe me i've been pulling my hair out over the years to stop this constant destruction but the only thing that I can think of is to get rid of the animal now. It does nothing but cause me bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can it be stretched with a carpet stretcher just enough to cut and regrip it. If so I can ask my local carpet shop to send down a fitter. I've tried nudging it with my feet and there seems to be a bit of play in the carpet so no doubt it could be stretched just enough to regrip it. If not it's gonna have to be a new carpet after only 12 months.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    No they are ungrateful unloving animals. They are not loyal and will go wherever someone will feed them. They're out most of the night then spend all day sleeping. When he's not sleeping he's bringing in birds, mice or trampling in with muddy paws then walks all over my nice clean bath, window etc. He keeps jumping in my linnen basket causing the lining to rip. This is now my second one. When it's not that he's having a go at the carpet, the walls or my sofa. I even caught him trying to have a go at my shed door last week. The thing is nothing but a pest which is costing me money to keep. I'd save more money and have less mess and damage by getting rid of the thing.

Don't let him in if he has a mouse or bird.
    Wipe his feet on a towel.
    Get rid of wallpaper.
    Put gripper rods down on carpets, so they can't scratch.
    Gloss your walls.
    Buy a large cardboard box.
    Buy a scratching post.
    Keep him in the kitchen at night.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can it be stretched with a carpet stretcher just enough to cut and regrip it. If so I can ask my local carpet shop to send down a fitter.

It depends on how long the carpet has been down but normally the carpet can be stretched...

Another though to stop it happening agian is kill the cat have it stuffed and put it front of the said door to stop any drafts..:D
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Carpets are covered by contents insurance. My cousin got her living room recarpeted when her little girl used her toy hoover on the old carpet, causing scratching and brown marks. There was no problem claiming on insurance, they didn't even come out to inspect the damage, just sent a carpet company rep around with a selection of carpet samples. I've claimed a few times on my contents insurance when I had a leak through my ceiling which caused damage (twice) and a broken window and I've not noticed a significant increase in my premiums :confused: I don't see the point in insurance if you don't claim when it's needed. Many years ago, my insurance, at that time, did rocket after I made a claim when my expensive coat was stolen at work - so I changed my insurance company and actually ended up paying less than I had previously. Like with car insurance, it's important to 'shop around'

I've just had my bedrooms recarpeted (a lot more than £200 per carpet). My cats also used to do the clawing at doors and one of my cats had ripped my bedroom carpet, using it as his scratching post (though he has real ones, he won't use them). He had been doing this for years so the damage was chronic and I never considered claiming on insurance. The cats seem to be respecting the new carpets so far, they've now resorted to scratching the older stair carpet. I agree it's very frustrating, my sofa arms are also scratched - but I love my cats and have to accept that it's just one of the disadvantages of cat ownership. I always try to keep internal doors open (even the bathroom door) and have plenty of scratch posts for the cats that use them.

For me, the advantages of owning cats outweighs their destructive behaviour. I agree that it sounds like this particular cat might be better off living with someone who really understands and loves cats. I wonder how long the cat was locked in the room for - it may have been hungry or wanting to go to the toilet.
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they are ungrateful unloving animals. They are not loyal and will go wherever someone will feed them. They're out most of the night then spend all day sleeping. When he's not sleeping he's bringing in birds, mice or trampling in with muddy paws then walks all over my nice clean bath, window etc. He keeps jumping in my linnen basket causing the lining to rip. This is now my second one. When it's not that he's having a go at the carpet, the walls or my sofa. I even caught him trying to have a go at my shed door last week. The thing is nothing but a pest which is costing me money to keep. I'd save more money and have less mess and damage by getting rid of the thing.

guys and gals, this person is a complete Troll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't let him in if he has a mouse or bird.
    Wipe his feet on a towel.
    Get rid of wallpaper.
    Put gripper rods down on carpets, so they can't scratch.
    Gloss your walls.
    Buy a large cardboard box.
    Buy a scratching post.
    Keep him in the kitchen at night.

Or better still just don't have cats. Seems the far easier and cheaper alternative if you ask me.

I can't not let him in the house. How is he supposed to get fed? He won't come in if I call him so I have to leave the cat flap open. This is when he bring in birds or mice. He always does it while we're asleep in bed. The only thing I can think of is perhaps start locking him out at night and when we go out but the last time I started to lock the cat flap he bolted at in full pelt and smashed the plastic door off it leaving a gaping hole in the door and I had to go and buy another catflap. Seriously i've never known a more destructive animal.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can it be stretched with a carpet stretcher just enough to cut and regrip it. If so I can ask my local carpet shop to send down a fitter. I've tried nudging it with my feet and there seems to be a bit of play in the carpet so no doubt it could be stretched just enough to regrip it. If not it's gonna have to be a new carpet after only 12 months.

just get a bit of flat wood and place it over the join and screw it down tight. the ends will stay under that and you can paint of colour the wood so it does not stand out..

I think you should not have the cat really as maybe you are both better off apart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just get a bit of flat wood and place it over the join and screw it down tight. the ends will stay under that and you can paint of colour the wood so it does not stand out..
    Won't the wood stick up above the carpet? It would have to be something really thin I guess no more than a few mill thick so I don't trip or catch my foot on it.
    I think you should not have the cat really as maybe you are both better off apart

I totally agree but my wife won't let me get rid of it. I'm gonna have another go at locking it out. Perhaps it will find somewhere else to live if I stop letting it in the house. There's plenty of old women round here with cats so it's not like he's gonna go hungry.

Many times i've felt like shoving him in the cat basket and taking him up to the rspca and telling them to rehome him. Like I say he's even attacked my baby once. He can't be trusted with children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't the wood stick up above the carpet? It would have to be something really thin I guess no more than a few mill thick so I don't trip or catch my foot on it.

I totally agree but my wife won't let me get rid of it. I'm gonna have another go at locking it out. Perhaps it will find somewhere else to live if I stop letting it in the house. There's plenty of old women round here with cats so it's not like he's gonna go hungry.

Many times i've felt like shoving him in the cat basket and taking him up to the rspca and telling them to rehome him. Like I say he's even attacked my baby once. He can't be trusted with children.

Well known Troll. stop wasting peoples time Please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    Well known Troll. stop wasting peoples time Please.

Whatever :rolleyes:
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps the cat needs more metal stimulation? Get it a scratching post and some toys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Honestly, does anyone here believe a word this guy says? he's making it up as he goes along or exaggerating in the extreme to try make a case for himself.

It started off as a scratched carpet, now the cat has attacked his baby ... you'd have thought this would have been mentioned in the first instance, not a scratched carpet.

I really feel for the pet living with this deranged owner ... honestly, people that get pets randomly like this guy should be vetted for pet responsibility ... I just hope the Cat gets a loving home soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the baby pull its tail or provoke it in anyway? That's what normally happens to make a cat act that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the baby pull its tail or provoke it in anyway? That's what normally happens to make a cat act that way.

If he doesn't want the Cat, he should re-home it ASAP and him and his wife have serious thoughts about the impetuous impulsive nature of taking on a pet when their is a baby in the house.

Do you honestly believe his latest update for credibility that the Cat harmed his Baby when his original concern was for a scratched carpet ... seriously, if you look at this guys history of posting on DS you will find other odd stuff that does not add up.

Unsubscribing from thread now.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he doesn't want the Cat, he should re-home it ASAP and him and his wife have serious thoughts about the impetuous impulsive nature of taking on a pet when their is a baby in the house.

Do you honestly believe his latest update for credibility that the Cat harmed his Baby when his original concern was for a scratched carpet ... seriously, if you look at this guys history of posting on DS you will find other odd stuff that does not add up.

Completely THIS ^^^

I stupidly offered advice before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he's working himself up over it, and all the cats previous misdeeds are coming up. He may or may not be exaggerating about the cat. Perhaps it took to swipe at the baby or something.

I've read a lot of his past posts and he seems to get himself worked up a lot over things. He needs to calm down a bit and put things into perspective a bit.

We don't know when he got the cat, perhaps it was before the baby was born.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's working himself up over it, and all the cats previous misdeeds are coming up. He may or may not be exaggerating about the cat. Perhaps it took to swipe at the baby or something.

I've read a lot of his past posts and he seems to get himself worked up a lot over things. He needs to calm down a bit and put things into perspective a bit.

Yes it looks like that doesn't it, when something or someone gets to you like that, then all they have to do is breath and you are peed off with them.

OP surely if you wife loves the cat she can see that being in the home with someone who hates it isnt doing anyone any good
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    1) Re-home the cat to somewhere he will be wanted.

2) Call a carpet fitter tomorrow and see if he can fix it. You have already asked the same question (and been given advice) several times and, until Monday morning, there isn't much that can be done no matter how many times you say the same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Instead of trying to do a cheap bodge job, stop being such a tight arse and just replace the carpet like any normal person would do.

I hope to god you don't get anymore pets because you're clearly not an animal lover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used a bit of tongue and groove and shaved the edges round
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben P wrote: »
    Instead of trying to do a cheap bodge job, stop being such a tight arse and just replace the carpet like any normal person would do.

I hope to god you don't get anymore pets because you're clearly not an animal lover.

Everyone? If my dog ruined my carpet then I would have to cover it or bodge it as I cant afford to replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben P wrote: »

Yeah cos every normal person just has a few hundred quid to go out and buy a new carpet every 12 months. :rolleyes:

This carpet is less than a year old. I've no intention of paying for another one and i'm not being tight, I don't have the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because we don't have any money and took us years to save up to have our house carpeted. We got the whole house done in the same stuff and the bloke who fitted it has retired so don't think i'll be able to get the same carpet to match up. Not only can I not afford to have it recarpeted but since laying the carpet i've built fitted units over it so it would mean taking them up to get the old carpet up which is just less than a year old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my god, I love my cat even more now!

He does no such things, he never leaves the garden and most of the time he just sits next to the door or wonders to our neighbors garden for a couple of minutes. He always cuddles up to me when I'm in bed and is always good! :D

Sorry that your cat isn't like mine. ;)