Options

Masters Of Sex (UK Pace) on Channel 4 starts tonight 8th Oct 9pm

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I thought so too.

If you put aside the nipples it's just a bit bawdy.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone definitely went down on someone. I seem to remember that for some reason. :p
    God, we sound bloody desperate, lol! :D (As if! When anything and everything can be found online...... ;))

Seriously though, the point of a show like this is to make it look and feel sexual whilst not being able to show anything much - and I think they largely achieve that. The subject matter is really hard to deal with dramatically! I liked the bit with the people on the beds having their orgasms measured when you could only see their top halves - I found that quite, erm, interesting...... :o (The old trick of not showing what's going on, and letting the imagination fill in the gaps! :D)

I think the show is let down by the corny opening credits - who the hell designed those? Some dribbling idiot with his hand in his trousers? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    God, we sound bloody desperate, lol! :D (As if! When anything and everything can be found online...... ;))

Seriously though, the point of a show like this is to make it look and feel sexual whilst not being able to show anything much - and I think they largely achieve that. The subject matter is really hard to deal with dramatically! I liked the bit with the people on the beds having their orgasms measured when you could only see their top halves - I found that quite, erm, interesting...... :o (The old trick of not showing what's going on, and letting the imagination fill in the gaps! :D)

I think the show is let down by the corny opening credits - who the hell designed those? Some dribbling idiot with his hand in his trousers? :rolleyes:

Yes the opening credits are pretty poor. Which is very unusual for a Showtime show because their opening credits are usually excellent.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Showtime doesn't air the opening credits. They just have the show title in white lettering against a black background. I was surprised when I started seeing Brits making reference to an opening credit sequence that I didn't know existed, but which I have found on the internet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Showtime doesn't air the opening credits. They just have the show title in white lettering against a black background. I was surprised when I started seeing Brits making reference to an opening credit sequence that I didn't know existed, but which I have found on the internet.

This is what makes me think C4 themselves might not have edited episode 4. There's clearly two different versions around, unless Showtime themselves are removing the credits, which I doubt....
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    The opening credits may be worse than Desperate Housewives, which I didn't think possible.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's a matter of taste because I don't find the opening credits awful at all. Quite frankly I just see it as a cute little opening. It certainly doesn't dissuade me from watching what I find to be a very good series.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air now..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    aw that was really moving at the end :(
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Libby pregnant by her husband?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Libby pregnant by her husband?
    I wondered that. But the way they were going on, it sounded almost like artificial insemination?! (Am I missing something here, anyone?) :confused:
  • Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libby told Virginia that her husband's sperm got her pregnant (maybe during the cap procedure) but I thought Libby may have said that to cover up the other doctor's donating sperm, or having sex with her. She found out via Virginia that her husband had a low sperm count, so she might have asked the younger doctor to help out.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I find them brilliantly funny with all the beavers, cucumbers, trains going into tunnels and popping corks.

Creatively I would rate them up there with the opening credits to True Blood.

(Though I could happily do without the cardboard boy and girl)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered that. But the way they were going on, it sounded almost like artificial insemination?! (Am I missing something here, anyone?) :confused:
    It is artificial insemination, there are reports of such procedures since before 1900, sperm banks were developed in the 1920s, artificial insemination was established in the 1940s and 1953 saw the first successful case of insemination using frozen sperm.

Don't confuse it with the first test tube baby in the 1970s, which is the fertilisation of an egg outside of a woman's body.

There has been nothing (other than your own dirty minds) to suggest that the young Doctor has had sex with her, or substituted his sperm. :D

(Well apart from one line where he said "He thinks he can do everything alone, but technically I got his wife pregnant" but I don't think that was intended to be taken literally. :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Really? I find them brilliantly funny with all the beavers, cucumbers, trains going into tunnels and popping corks.

Creatively I would rate them up there with the opening credits to True Blood.

(Though I could happily do without the cardboard boy and girl)
    It's just too Monty Python for me. (True Blood's are brilliantly clever - a million times better & more creative than this 'nudge nudge wink wink' tosh!)
    It is artificial insemination, there are reports of such procedures since before 1900, sperm banks were developed in the 1920s, artificial insemination was established in the 1940s and 1953 saw the first successful case of insemination using frozen sperm.

Don't confuse it with the first test tube baby in the 1970s, which is the fertilisation of an egg outside of a woman's body.

There has been nothing (other than your own dirty minds) to suggest that the young Doctor has had sex with her, or substituted his sperm. :D

(Well apart from one line where he said "He thinks he can do everything alone, but technically I got his wife pregnant" but I don't think that was intended to be taken literally. :p )
    Yes, I realised people were wielding the turkey basters before the 1970s. ;) But I don't have a dirty mind (not that much anyway), I was only going by your last paragraph? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there has been anything in her behaviour towards him, or his to her, to suggest either got up to anything they shouldn't.

Also, every other sexual encounter in the show has taken place in full view. It would be a strange change of style to have had one happen off screen. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there has been anything in her behaviour towards him, or his to her, to suggest either got up to anything they shouldn't.

Also, every other sexual encounter in the show has taken place in full view. It would be a strange change of style to have had one happen off screen. :p
    She's such an innocent though, she wouldn't know what the hell was being done to her! :rolleyes: (He could have filled her 'turkey baster' himself!)

(Didn't you just love that religious couple, who were trying to make a baby by 'laying with other' - I was in fits over that! :D)
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Last night totally broke my heart - Bill's crying at the end and asking Virginia to close her eyes so she couldn't see him. When I lost a baby (though not under quite as traumatic circumstances) I couldn't bear my husband looking at me when I cried and I remember one night just howling instead of crying and Bill's crying sounded just like that. Absolutely harrowing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i noticed the ad breaks were really short. like a minute.

i wonder if advertisers are scared of it.
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    this series gets better and better - the interweaving storylines are terrific and Libby's loss of her baby was so moving I almost forgot they were acting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    i noticed the ad breaks were really short. like a minute.

i wonder if advertisers are scared of it.

there'd be mad to be, it's a cracking programme! i actually watched it twice on tuesday , one after each other on +1 , as I had only just got in and was getting fed and missed a few minutes here and there :D

just think of the potential for amusing product placement :cool:
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crumbs that was moving! :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    there'd be mad to be, it's a cracking programme! i actually watched it twice on tuesday , one after each other on +1 , as I had only just got in and was getting fed and missed a few minutes here and there :D

just think of the potential for amusing product placement :cool:

there was an ad for erectile dysfunction.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    I guess it's a matter of taste because I don't find the opening credits awful at all. Quite frankly I just see it as a cute little opening. It certainly doesn't dissuade me from watching what I find to be a very good series.

I don't mind the opening credits either, but I was surprised to
    see the UK (and Irish) airings of MoS are slightly different
    from the US one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    there was an ad for erectile dysfunction.

haha was there?! I missed that as watching on catch up :D