A Place to call Home BBC2 3pm Weekdays

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I, by chance discovered this great programme on day 13/13......... I couldn't believe how I had not been aware of it before the end!.................... So after a little investigation I saw that it was due to go on again starting 1/10. As it was a bbc programme I headed for the iplayer and WONDERFULLY all the episodes where there to watch!....

As it was a day off work and I live alone ...(so no one to worry about!,)... I started watching it back to back lol.............. I sat from about 4pm to about midnight watching one after the other!... and I so enjoyed it!............... I couldn't believe my luck that it was all there still there.......................

It's a gem isn't it? Every single episode held my attention ..... Unlike some other dramas.

Series 2 started yesterday on BBC2. I have got so many of my friends to watch it now.:)

You might also like the Dr Blake Mysteries. Only just found that myself and am getting the series 1 DVD for Christmas. recording series 2. Why don't they advertise these progs? Seems that people just drop on them by chance.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It's a gem isn't it? Every single episode held my attention ..... Unlike some other dramas.

Series 2 started yesterday on BBC2. I have got so many of my friends to watch it now.:)

You might also like the Dr Blake Mysteries. Only just found that myself and am getting the series 1 DVD for Christmas. recording series 2. Why don't they advertise these progs? Seems that people just drop on them by chance.

I do already know about The Doctor Blake Mysteries, I have been addicted to that since it started last year!... I was so pleased to see it return again this year!.......

As you say!.. 'why don't they advertise these new series?'....... it seems ridiculous to not tell us about new things that are starting!....................... :)
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hubby found out about A Place to Call Home because he had BBC2 on as background noise while he was doing woodwork in the garage. He told me about it as he thought I would like it.

I love the show! It's a breath of fresh air to see a drama with strong Jewish characters. The storytelling is gripping. It's been a long long time since I was so caught up with the characters of a show I was cheered them on when they hit another one for making a poisonous remark. :DThe costumes and settings are lush, and it's wonderul to see the Australian scenery and hear the native birdsong. I started watching one episode last night, watched another, and I couldn't wait to start the next programme to see what would happen to Anna and Gio :p

I'm very happy that BBC2 is showing the programme. I also wish they would promote the show more. If it hadn't been for my husband I wouldn't have known about it.
  • notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my favourite programme on TV at the moment. I have been watching from the first episode and just love it.
    The characters are so well played and the storylines are involving. I'm so glad I spotted it in the TV listings and curiosity got the better of me. It's on series-link on my Sky+ so I won't miss any episodes and hope it will continue for a good while longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow ... It was good today. This is the best series I've seen in years. Knocks spots off stuff like Downton Abbey etc.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reminder of changed Transmission times for next week, pre Christmas week.
    Stigid wrote: »
    Monday 22nd December, double episodes, changed transmission times...

Mon, Dec 22 · 14:40-15:25 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    8/10 - 2, Answer Me, My Love

Mon, Dec 22 · 15:25-16:10 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    9/10 - 2, I Do, I Do

Tue, Dec 23 · 15:35-16:15 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    10/10 - 2, End of Series Two
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the series has progressed, I have become more and more aware of an Agenda.

Persecution of Homosexuals and Jews.

Having done a Google search, I discover the reason why...

Creator Bevan Lee is homosexual, and has a thing about the treatment of homosexuals in the past.

http://issuu.com/matt1964/docs/dna_bevanlee193-2

So it looks like the programme was created to incorporate his own agenda.

He compares the persecution of homosexuals, to that of Jews by the Nazis.

Hence the agenda.

Still a good programme, just spoils my enjoyment a little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link Stigid. I noticed the theme too the theme of persecution of homosexuals and Jews- especially in the scene in which Sarah tells George that she met men like James in the camps, who were sent there for being what they were.

The aversion therapy and the shock treatment scenes are horrific. My husband left the room after the start of one scene when James has one of his first shock treatment sessions. A Place to Call Home isn't the first series to show how people were subjected to these therapies in order to "cure" them of their sexuality- last year I saw Masters of Sex, which is also set in the 1950s and also has a gay character who is married. The character's wife spoke to his doctor about shock treatment and aversion therapy and told her husband she didn't want him to undergo such brutal treatment. She would rather have him be the way he was. There was also a scene in which another gay character said to hell with the rest of society and what other people thought- he was what he was, and he was happy with that.

I really appreciate a show that portrays Jewish people in a positive light. However, sometimes Sarah is portrayed as being a little too perfect. The only flaw in her character so far was her choking Regina. Moreover, she is a convert to Judaism. The other Jewish characters (the family she visits) are a bit stereotyped with "Jewish" accents.

But overall I appreciate how A Place to Call Home reflects Judaism, Jewish beliefs and practices. Most of the time when I see Jewish characters on TV they're in comedies. When they appear in dramas it's usually in reference to the Holocaust, and the narratives don't reflect very much of Jewish culture.

I don't know very much about Australian society in the 1950s and I welcome the show portraying what it was like at the time.I appreciate how the programme portrays the attitudes of the post war period that people nowadays may not be aware of: the prejudice against Catholics and single mothers, the repression of female sexuality, and the class system. It adds to my enjoyment of the show. It's a great melodrama with terrific story telling: I enjoy how the action of the story has depth that resonates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a thoughtful, and most welcome Post.

Thank you for your input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much Stigid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor Bus Driver must get really fed up of keep driving round the same corner by the Bridge all times of the Day & Night !!

He did have a break earlier though, when he went home for his Tea !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded the show on our Tivo and I've just seen the episode in which the family removes James from the hospital. I had no idea when I wrote the above comment that the doctor was going to suggest that James have a frontal lobotomy. How horrible! :o I'm so glad Sarah conviced George to sign James out of that terrible place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving this programme so much and feel a bit flat that I have caught up and so I am only seeing one episode a day now!.................... I WANT MORE.............:cry:

I so hope we don't have to wait a year for series 3 to be shown!............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a tear jerker today! Far and away the best tv drama I've ever seen and I must have seen thousands over the years. Can't wait for Monday. I was recording it every day but now find an excuse to be home at 2.10!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, an emotional Episode today.

We've got so caught up in the Drama haven't we..

G'd on yer Lucky !
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this drama. Just pre-ordered seasons 1 & 2 from Amazon. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooooh........ not long been home from work so!..................... just preparing my meal and I will be sitting down all comfy on sofa to watch todays episode!................. woo hoo........ so excited.............. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Oooooh........ not long been home from work so!..................... just preparing my meal and I will be sitting down all comfy on sofa to watch todays episode!................. woo hoo........ so excited.............. :D

Don't forget .... Monday is later time and a double bill. 3.35 on Tues then that's it. :(:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Don't forget .... Monday is later time and a double bill. 3.35 on Tues then that's it. :(:cry:

Thanks but I have got it on series link so should all be ok!..... Oh I am so unhappy that it is ending aren't you?.... I did read that there is/will be a third series although I think a different channel picked it up!........ not sure!, just have to keep fingers crossed that we hear something quite quickly!..................... :cry::cry:...............:)

BTW!.................. Mondays first episode is 14 40 it's the second episode that is on at 15 25........................... don't miss the first one!.......And it's Tuesdays that starts at 15.35...........
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been following this series, for which part of the appeal for me was the use of popular recordings available at the time, 1953. Not a particularly favourite year for me, I just like some of the recordings from this and other eras.
    I believe they got them all right except for Nat Cole’s “When I Fall in Love” which wasn’t recorded until 1956. Around two years or so later, but no matter, it’s a great song.

For those who also liked the music and might want to be reminded of certain episodes, where mostly short parts of the records were played, I recognised most and found those used where different versions were more familiar to me.
    I’ve listed them below

They’re all on YouTube.

In order of episode, they are;

Frank Chacksfield
    "Where is Your Heart,"
    "Ebb Tide,"

Ray Anthony. "At Last."

Jo Stafford, "You Belong to Me."

The Mills Brothers, (“with Orchestra,“ find the YouTube video with the “skywriting plane”). "You’re Nobody ‘til Somebody Loves You."

Joni James,
    "Have You Heard?"
    "Why Don’t You Believe Me?"

Louis Armstrong, "A Kiss to Build a Dream on."

Woody Herman, "Sweet Sue."

The Andrews Sisters, "I Can Dream, Can’t I?"

There’s a CD for series 2, which is mostly covers of any original songs used in the series.

For today’s episode, titled “No Other Love,” they used a cover of that song to close it.

What would have been far better in my opinion would have been if they were able to use the contemporary recording by Jo Stafford, made in 1950. This is more emotive by far. Here’s the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjDqMftHbKI

This Australian news report gives the good news, that there is likely to be a series three and possibly a fourth.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/foxtel-breathes-new-life-into-a-place-to-call-home-after-seven-signs-deal-to-keep-the-show-alive/story-fni0cx12-1227102200260?nk=b341ab240a8dce92c44e0a858085a0fa

The BBC would be daft not to pick it up if it were offered to them and it deserves a better slot than that which it was given
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Doghouse Riley! I've enjoyed the music too, especially "A Kiss to Build a dream on" by Louis Armstrong. The show used "That's Amore" and "When the Marimba Rhythm starts to play" very nicely as a motif for Anna and Gio's romance.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Doghouse Riley! I've enjoyed the music too, especially "A Kiss to Build a dream on" by Louis Armstrong. The show used "That's Amore" and "When the Marimba Rhythm starts to play" very nicely as a motif for Anna and Gio's romance.

I think the music has added a lot to the enjoyment, as some care was taken to choose suitable music for particular scenes.

I've probably missed a few.

Rather than that of the Andrews Sisters, whose voices can sound a bit harsh on sentimental songs, I prefer this version of "I Can Dream, Can't I?" Which of course was contemporary, being recorded in 1949.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc2hwvbcQOA

She was one of the many "Big Band Singers" of the forties, trying to break away and make a career of their own, as many were relatively previously poorly paid by the bandleaders, despite how popular with audiences they'd become..

Digressing.

As in this, "No Other Love" (but by Jo Stafford) as a close-out recording has been used before.
    In a TV documentary early this year on retired sailors of the disbanded Russian nuclear submarine fleet of the cold war.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen Craig Hall who plays Jack Duncan in 'The World's Fastest Indian', playing a Hells Angel type.

It's funny how you start to notice certain actors only after they play certain characters. He obviously didn't stand out before I saw him in 'APTCH', even though I've seen the film before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't miss out on your Christmas Treat ......

Stigid wrote: »
    Monday 22nd December, double episodes, changed transmission times...

Mon, Dec 22 · 14:40-15:25 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    8/10 - 2, Answer Me, My Love

Mon, Dec 22 · 15:25-16:10 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    9/10 - 2, I Do, I Do

Tue, Dec 23 · 15:35-16:15 · BBC2
    A Place to Call Home
    10/10 - 2, End of Series Two