Options

Death in Paradise Series 4 Thursday Jan 8th 2015

Comments

• Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Oh my god La famille Weeks have the BBC 9pm slots all sewn up!!!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Blimey. I'll never get used to the strange people that inhabit DS. A light-hearted throwaway speculation greeted with a personal insult. Oh, and a MAD smilie. Very appropriate.

By the way, if you want to use big words they're more effective if you spell them correctly. It's "pejorative". Just the one "r".

Well, it's the second time he's used that word in as many days. He must like it.. He goes on about "terms and conditions" when anyone makes gentle fun of his obsession with excusing the BBC of "anything." He's brought in mention of the NHS on a few occasions as an excuse for the BBC's waste of taxpayers' money, as if that has anything to do with it..

But then uses a word like "clueless," to someone like you who's not so much as said "Boo!" to him.
    A classic example of "dishing it out but can't take it back."

He doesn't seem to understand that most of us see this drama as a bit of entertaining fluff and this topic is littered with "throw-away and forget" remarks that he has to always take seriously.

He needs to lighten up a bit.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    It was certainly very odd to hear her speaking like that. Is she posh in real life, or did she put that voice on for Foyle's War

Honeysuckle does have a naturally "plummy" voice, which she admits she tried to play down for auditions! But she doesn't live a posh life - quite the opposite in fact! She's very down-to-earth.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was nice to see JP being given a decent part to play at last. Of the 'newbies' he, at least, seems to be developing a personality and adding something to the program.

Wish I could say the same about Humphrey & Florence.

I don't think Kris Marshall actually believes in the part of Humphrey. He seems to play the whole thing with tongue-in-cheek. I know it's only a light-hearted drama, but the actors need to play it for real. I actually seen more convincing acting in amateur productions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My only issue with Marshall is the way his dialogue seems quite forced. Actually you describe it really well as am-dram with the "um yes well... Um ... Well" delivered as though it was on the stage of the local Gaumont theatre. Although I did like the mirroring from Edward Fox and him saying that he must get it from somewhere.

He does clumsy very well and that's his "fish out of water" schtick, but sometimes it does feel a bit by-the -numbers, but then... I get a view of some beaches and sun, and of COURSE Harry and all is right with the world :-)
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her accent last night varied between posh, dead common, East London, and australian. And she didn't have that many lines.

Once again, the person who discovered the body did it.

I wasn't keeping count- but I think that might have been the case every episode this series. Certainly the majority. Maybe another mickey taking in-joke.

As in- just arrest the person who finds the body, and you won't go far wrong.

It's pretty common in these sort of "nobody could have done it" scenarios. They are either killed earlier than the evidence indicates, or later. And then the last one to see them or the one to find the "body" did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty common in these sort of "nobody could have done it" scenarios. They are either killed earlier than the evidence indicates, or later. And then the last one to see them or the one to find the "body" did it.

Haven't we had exactly that plot before?
    Well the "salt in the candles" was something similar, which gave a different time of death.

It was similar to the girl in the boot of the car in some ways.

To be honest it really didn't bother me, you knew Humphrey would sort it out in the end.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    My only issue with Marshall is the way his dialogue seems quite forced. Actually you describe it really well as am-dram with the "um yes well... Um ... Well" delivered as though it was on the stage of the local Gaumont theatre. Although I did like the mirroring from Edward Fox and him saying that he must get it from somewhere.

He does clumsy very well and that's his "fish out of water" schtick, but sometimes it does feel a bit by-the -numbers, but then... I get a view of some beaches and sun, and of COURSE Harry and all is right with the world :-)

I Like Humphrey and Marshall's portrayal of him. I came to accept the character is clumsy (didn't at first because it came so soon after Poole's death, i thought it was disrespectful at that time).
    The one thing i don't like about Marshall's acting is the clumsy bits. I feel he does it really badly. I really don't buy it. I always think 'that's not a clumsy character, that's an actor trying to look clumsy and not succeeding'.
    The way, early in this episode, he turned and knocked that flower vase, was so badly staged.
    Thankfully it's not his only handle on humor; loved when he took out his brand new notebook but of course, no pen!
    I just love the way he embraces his new life and was insulted when his father implied the people of St-Marie were not worth it.

But sorry, i disagree with you on this; Marshall doesn't do clumsy well.
    And i'm so glad; if there were a DIP convention and we all agreed, it would be dull!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't we had exactly that plot before?
    Well the "salt in the candles" was something similar, which gave a different time of death.

It was similar to the girl in the boot of the car in some ways.

To be honest it really didn't bother me, you knew Humphrey would sort it out in the end.

So, you do notice the plots ;)
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see James Fox, a proper actor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I Like Humphrey and Marshall's portrayal of him. I came to accept the character is clumsy (didn't at first because it came so soon after Poole's death, i thought it was disrespectful at that time).
    The one thing i don't like about Marshall's acting is the clumsy bits. I feel he does it really badly. I really don't buy it. I always think 'that's not a clumsy character, that's an actor trying to look clumsy and not succeeding'.
    The way, early in this episode, he turned and knocked that flower vase, was so badly staged.
    Thankfully it's not his only handle on humor; loved when he took out his brand new notebook but of course, no pen!
    I just love the way he embraces his new life and was insulted when his father implied the people of St-Marie were not worth it.

But sorry, i disagree with you on this; Marshall doesn't do clumsy well.
    And i'm so glad; if there were a DIP convention and we all agreed, it would be dull!

Yeah ok I see what you mean, I find his bumbly dialogue much like the flower scene in that case (having started to watch it and then got distracted by Fortitude ... :p )

Edit: how do we make a DiP convention a reality :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah ok I see what you mean, I find his bumbly dialogue much like the flower scene in that case (having started to watch it and then got distracted by Fortitude ... :p )

Edit: how do we make a DiP convention a reality :D

I've never been to one but i expect we would have to get a costume of one of the character!
    Perhaps i could take out my suit for funerals and come as Poole!
    But i would probably go as Dwayne when he's undercover :)

Ah well, until it happens and they invent the Star Trek transporter to get us all in the same location (Caribbean of course), we have to come back here, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, you do notice the plots ;)

Well they're not difficult to remember when you get such obvious similarities.

Otherwise I wouldn't. I'm quite able these days to not commit to memory a lot of trivia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never been to one but i expect we would have to get a costume of one of the character!
    Perhaps i could take out my suit for funerals and come as Poole!
    But i would probably go as Dwayne when he's undercover :)

Ah well, until it happens and they invent the Star Trek transporter to get us all in the same location (Caribbean of course), we have to come back here, which is fine by me.

Well you and I definately agree on the Caribbean as the location!!! The ExCel in London doesn't quite have the same feel to it. Altogether too little in the way of Palm trees and lizards!!!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see James Fox, a proper actor

Hardly a challenging role, seemed similar to other parts I have seen him do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you and I definately agree on the Caribbean as the location!!! The ExCel in London doesn't quite have the same feel to it. Altogether too little in the way of Palm trees and lizards!!!

The cosplayer bit is optional of course.
    But who would you come as?

As we know, we evolved from, at some point, lizards. So i could come as myself and say i'm Harry but evolved a few millions years :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The cosplayer bit is optional of course.
    But who would you come as?

As we know, we evolved from, at some point, lizards. So i could come as myself and say i'm Harry but evolved a few millions years :o

Well sadly while my legs feel they still belong to the body of a 400m hurdler and could certainly rock the shorts or tight trousers and not look out of place, the rest of my my body resembles middle aged athlete. A far cry from my running days. Plus my hair might be the same colour as Camille's but nowhere as near frizzy... And these days needs colouring to stop me looking like an escaped badger about town!!! Old age sucks :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well sadly while my legs feel they still belong to the body of a 400m hurdler and could certainly rock the shorts or tight trousers and not look out of place, the rest of my my body resembles middle aged athlete. A far cry from my running days. Plus my hair might be the same colour as Camille's but nowhere as near frizzy... And these days needs colouring to stop me looking like an escaped badger about town!!! Old age sucks :p

Agreed.
    Sorry, i hadn't thought about the implications of my question.

But, just to comfort you a bit, we can't be every character anyway; i liked Camille but my hairy legs and the gray hairs coming out of my ears wouldn't do her justice!
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite liking the idea of the DIP convention. Definitely The Caribbean. Of course, there can only be about six of us. And one of us is going to have to die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed.
    Sorry, i hadn't thought about the implications of my question.

But, just to comfort you a bit, we can't be every character anyway; i liked Camille but my hairy legs and the gray hairs coming out of my ears wouldn't do her justice!

I have just choked on my Dominos chicken dipper.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Blimey. I'll never get used to the strange people that inhabit DS. A light-hearted throwaway speculation greeted with a personal insult. Oh, and a MAD smilie. Very appropriate.
    I'm sorry. It's difficult to tell if and when anyone is being serious or not when just reading text. That said, there are people who genuinely believe that these thing are just that so I'm sure you can understand my mis-understanding :)
    By the way, if you want to use big words they're more effective if you spell them correctly. It's "pejorative". Just the one "r".
    I even looked it up to make sure I had the right word :blush::D In my defence, I can't type!

Love this show. One of the best things on telly.
    Well, it's the second time he's used that word in as many days. He must like it.
    "Learn something new every day" is my motto ;)
    He goes on about "terms and conditions" when anyone makes gentle fun of his obsession with excusing the BBC of "anything."
    Only when their are broken by not respecting my POV.
    He's brought in mention of the NHS on a few occasions as an excuse for the BBC's waste of taxpayers' money, as if that has anything to do with it..
    Both are funded by a tax and and free at the point of use. So the comparison is perfectly valid.

It is also completely irrelevant to this thread so I can't think of a good reason to mention it other than to have another go at me. Erm... shall I mentions the T&Cs again now?
    But then uses a word like "clueless," to someone like you who's not so much as said "Boo!" to him.A classic example of "dishing it out but can't take it back."
    As you can see it was a simple mis-understanding. Nothing to do with "dishing it out but can't take it back" in the slightest.
    He doesn't seem to understand that most of us see this drama as a bit of entertaining fluff ...
    As do I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry. It's difficult to tell if and when anyone is being serious or not when just reading text. That said, there are people who genuinely believe that these thing are just that so I'm sure you can understand my mis-understanding :).

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I should have used a smilie. Water under the bridge. ;-)
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's the second time he's used that word in as many days. He must like it.. He goes on about "terms and conditions" when anyone makes gentle fun of his obsession with excusing the BBC of "anything." He's brought in mention of the NHS on a few occasions as an excuse for the BBC's waste of taxpayers' money, as if that has anything to do with it..

Sounds like you have an obsession with the BBC. Typical DS Daily Mailer.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss a plot explanation?

Why didn't the jailer just shoot the prisoner through the bars before setting off the fire alarm?

Was the cell in the opposite direction to the rum/fire alarm? I didn't hear that said by anyone.

I wish this could be on all winter, it cheers up a cold grey British evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the fire alarm can't have been near the cell. The alibi depended on him not having had enough time to get to the cell and back to the policemen in the time he'd been out of the room.