Options

Would I Lie To You? (Series 8) - Fridays, 8:30pm, BBC1

Comments

• Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Watched this a couple of days back.
    Cracking bit of work by Claude and also Adil Ray with the double bluffs.
    Adils story was so much better than his one on the actual show
  • Options
    puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it and was laughing the whole way through! Adil's Bradford story and Rob's shower story was hilarious! Particularly loved seeing Lee crack up watching Rob! 😃
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the recording of Would I Lie To You tonight for the new series (no idea when it will air - I'm presuming the autumn again.) I'm happy to try and answer any questions people might have, though will try not to give too much away about truths/lies.

The guests were Gabby Logan and Steve Backshall with David and Bob Mortimer and Katherine Parkinson with Lee.

The recording started shortly around 7/7.15 and finished at half 9. They had a brief break between each round and they then shot various extra scenes at the end to correct errors, and Rob started uttering a variety of different lines to give them different options for editing. etc. One great line that won't get used at this point was Rob saying 'I'll say anything' and Lee replying 'it's why you do all those adverts!'

In the first round everyone apart from the team captains had a go. I think this was probably the weakest round, not that any of them were awful but whether any would be an absolute standout I'm not sure - but there were still some great lines and of course when they edit it down it's likely to flow much better. One notable thing was how long each story took to be told compared to how long they spend on it In the show. I think any of the stories could be chosen and would be reasonable, probably particularly Katherine's and Bob's.

The second round was David's team doing the 'This is My'. In relation to something I'd always wondered, it transpires that the guests are given a card before the show to read so they don't get to just make up their own story (which presumably would help them as it would give them more time to get their facts straight) - but one of the guests didn't say their card correctly so Rob rebuked them at the end with 'you were supposed to learn that before the show!' Because the actual story they'd used contradicted the one they were meant to use they took a bit of time trying to come up with a new wording so that the conversation that had actually followed made sense. I definitely enjoyed this round. Each story had something to it (and this was one of the few I guessed wrong at the recording in terms of truth and lies.)

The third round was definitely the highlight for me. This was just everyone on Lee's team, and the stories from Lee and Bob got the biggest laughs of the night. I'd definitely hope they'll be in the edit.

In a sense I was surprised that the captains only got one story each because the best bits tend to involve them. But I suppose in part they're on every week so they want to give other people screen time and limit the various truths they use for David/Lee. But of course the highlights are often when you give a panellist (often Lee) something which is obviously completely absurd but they run with it anyway.

I was certainly left feeling it would be nice to have an extended episode because I'm sure they could get decent material from every story with some editing and no doubt a few decent ones (or at least lines) will have to be cut.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched the repeat last night and even though i've seen it before it must be one of the only times that Lee's story about the mystery guest was true :D

They're usually so far fatched that it's easy to rule him out straight away.
  • Options
    cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just putting this out there: if anyone's been to any of the series 9 recordings (as mentioned above it's currently being filmed), it would be really helpful and much appreciated if they could mention the guests were here?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, so Bob Mortimer is in it again, eh. He's popping up a lot, what with a sitcom, playing darts, panel show appearances, radio interviews, Anniversary Tour of R & M....

Still not enough! Get him on Question Time, the news, doing the weather.....

Very interesting post, Readingfan.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, thank you Readingfan for that detailed report.

Did WILTY used to be around 40 minutes long when broadcast? I think it did and they reduced it to 30 minutes when it went to the 8.30pm slot. I wish it was still longer as it's clear that a lot of good stuff is chopped out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, thank you Readingfan for that detailed report.

Did WILTY used to be around 40 minutes long when broadcast? I think it did and they reduced it to 30 minutes when it went to the 8.30pm slot. I wish it was still longer as it's clear that a lot of good stuff is chopped out.

No, it's always been in a half-hour slot (even back in series 4 when it was filling in for Jonathan Ross).
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    Just putting this out there: if anyone's been to any of the series 9 recordings (as mentioned above it's currently being filmed), it would be really helpful and much appreciated if they could mention the guests were here?

There's a link here if that's useful? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_9

If you go to Series 9 you can see the guests for the recordings so far with sources to indicate where the info has come from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    There's a link here if that's useful? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_9

If you go to Series 9 you can see the guests for the recordings so far with sources to indicate where the info has come from.

Yes, I've been putting that together for the last few series - it's usually straightforward enough but it's sometimes really hard to source guests.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched a repeat on Dave. Hugh Dennis was on Lee's team.

David read his card and after some minimal questioning, Hugh said it was a lie and looked pretty darn sure about it. Turned out it was a lie. During the applause Lee and Hugh were talking and you could clearly hear Hugh saying 'that was one of my stories'.

Understandable that they maybe use others tales but a bit daft of the producers to use one provided by someone on the other team. Also its a bit weird that they didn't edit that out.

Still love it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mustard99 wrote: »
    Just watched a repeat on Dave. Hugh Dennis was on Lee's team.

David read his card and after some minimal questioning, Hugh said it was a lie and looked pretty darn sure about it. Turned out it was a lie. During the applause Lee and Hugh were talking and you could clearly hear Hugh saying 'that was one of my stories'.

Understandable that they maybe use others tales but a bit daft of the producers to use one provided by someone on the other team. Also its a bit weird that they didn't edit that out.

Still love it though.
    They might have meant an anecdote/joke that he'd made on another programme that a producer had nicked.

There was a time on QI when someone was telling an anecdote and Fry said, that was me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've been putting that together for the last few series - it's usually straightforward enough but it's sometimes really hard to source guests.

Just to say, if anyone can help: I've been unable to find out who the guests were for the episode that was recorded on Saturday (the 14th), so on the off-chance that anyone here attended that recording or knows someone who did, helping me out with this would be really, really appreciated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They might have meant an anecdote/joke that he'd made on another programme that a producer had nicked.

There was a time on QI when someone was telling an anecdote and Fry said, that was me!

David Frost answering the phone with something like "Boutros Boutros, how the devil are you?". Is that what you're thinking of? Had to wrack my brains for a minute or so there. Can't remember who the panelist in question was though...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    extralegs wrote: »
    David Frost answering the phone with something like "Boutros Boutros, how the devil are you?". Is that what you're thinking of? Had to wrack my brains for a minute or so there. Can't remember who the panelist in question was though...?
    Yep, I think it was Arthur Smith?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just to say, if anyone can help: I've been unable to find out who the guests were for the episode that was recorded on Saturday (the 14th), so on the off-chance that anyone here attended that recording or knows someone who did, helping me out with this would be really, really appreciated.
    I was at the recording on Saturday. The guests were Greg Davies and Rick Edwards on David's team and Alex Jones and John Cooper Clarke on Lee's. It was excellent - the recording took about 3 hours and I've no idea how they'll cut it down to half an hour. Everybody contributed and they were all funny.
    I saw the episode with June Brown and Adrian Chiles being recorded last series - that episode was pretty much just David and Lee but this one was much better, even though I had no idea who Rick Edwards was and only a fleeting knowledge of John Cooper Clarke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Docwomble wrote: »
    I was at the recording on Saturday. The guests were Greg Davies and Rick Edwards on David's team and Alex Jones and John Cooper Clarke on Lee's. It was excellent - the recording took about 3 hours and I've no idea how they'll cut it down to half an hour. Everybody contributed and they were all funny.
    I saw the episode with June Brown and Adrian Chiles being recorded last series - that episode was pretty much just David and Lee but this one was much better, even though I had no idea who Rick Edwards was and only a fleeting knowledge of John Cooper Clarke.

Much thanks :)
  • Options
    Mel GMel G Posts: 5,254
    Forum Member
    I was at the same recording as Readingfan - the one with Bob Mortimer. My cheeks hurt from laughing by the end; the editors will have earned their money for that episode as cutting Bob's very long (but hilarious) stories down into small chunks will be no mean feat!

This was my first time in the audience for WILTY, but it definitely won't be the last - my only advice for anyone going is (a) get there earlier than they tell you to as the hospitality area can't fit everyone in and if you are later you have to queue outside; and (b) the studio is very cold so bring layers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    extralegs wrote: »
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yep, I think it was Arthur Smith?
    Actually I think it was Mark Steel.

Arthur Smith did make a comment to Fry something like "Why are all your anecdotes better than mine?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last recording was last night, so it's worth one more appeal here to see if anyone can confirm the guests. (Oddly, it seems that last night's recording didn't finish until somewhat later than usual.)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The triple bill of repeats are back on Dave tonight from 8pm.......they've been missing for the last 4 or 5 weeks
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The triple bill of repeats are back on Dave tonight from 8pm.......they've been missing for the last 4 or 5 weeks

I've missed them - my regular Saturday night viewing! Is the first of tonight's eps (S3, ep 3) not the one where Terry Christian tells the story about a dog at Crufts? I was sure Jamelia was in that ep as well but it wasn't in tonight's...unless I dozed off on the couch?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've missed them - my regular Saturday night viewing! Is the first of tonight's eps (S3, ep 3) not the one where Terry Christian tells the story about a dog at Crufts? I was sure Jamelia was in that ep as well but it wasn't in tonight's...unless I dozed off on the couch?!

no.......he didn't tell that story

His ones were the mystery guest and himself being stopped by police as jewel thieves and 'celebrity hair clippings' that he kept from his days on The Word

For some reason I never watched this until a couple of series ago so these old ones are new to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have successfully identified the guests from last night's recording, so a full house of series 9 guests: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_9

A few members of the production team on Twitter are saying this series is likely to air in September again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have successfully identified the guests from last night's recording, so a full house of series 9 guests: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_9

A few members of the production team on Twitter are saying this series is likely to air in September again.

that seems a hell of a long time between filming and showing.....

what if there are references to people who die or are convicted of serious offences in the intervening 6 months........:o