Options

pc boot issue any help?

Comments

• Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ubuntu is just asking for a Voluntary contribution. Just click "Not now, take me to the download"

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute/?version=14.04.2&architecture=amd64

It perhaps could be slightly clearer.

well i got it sorted now .but will need to put freemake into the pc to put it to disc its the only one i know well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Just right-click the iso file when downloaded and Burn to DVD.

Get the Memtest here

http://askubuntu.com/questions/343114/how-to-check-for-errors-in-ram-via-linux

If there is a problem post back with exact detailed details.

Otherwise, use Ubuntu for a day or two or more (if you want) to confirm PC behaves.

Firefox browser is on the Desktop Screen.

Don't Install Ubuntu, you are just running it from the DVD
    where on here do i find a link to download memtest to flashstick was going to have a go at that
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memtest is already included in the Ubuntu download.

Make the flash-stick with Ubuntu and check Ubuntu works.

AFAIK Reboot with Shift key held down.

You can download Ubuntu and make a flash-stick with http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ Tool

Stick should be 4GB min, 8GB+ is better. (set Persistent Memory slider in the tool to max)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memtest is already included in the Ubuntu download.

Make the flash-stick with Ubuntu and check Ubuntu works.

AFAIK Reboot with Shift key held down.

You can download Ubuntu and make a flash-stick with http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ Tool

Stick should be 4GB min, 8GB+ is better. (set Persistent Memory slider in the tool to max)

this file has now been downloaded & transfered to flashstick to the pc in question
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. Stick it in a USB port and boot it.

You may get a message saying Try or Install Ubuntu

You want to try it.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bringing Ubuntu and bootable USBs into the equation seems like an unnecessary extra layer of complexity for the OP. Surely a bootable CD of memtest86 is a better idea (and a smaller download).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are asked to create a Username and Password, choose a simple password for now.

Ubuntu asks for it all the time for various reconfirmations and it's annoying if it's long and secure.

It can always be changed later if you want
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Bringing Ubuntu and bootable USBs into the equation seems like an unnecessary extra layer of complexity for the OP. Surely a bootable CD of memtest86 is a better idea (and a smaller download).

The PC has unknown stability issues. It may be memory, Windows or other hardware
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good. Stick it in a USB port and boot it.

You may get a message saying Try or Install Ubuntu

You want to try it.

right ok the pc is on the flash stick is in,i have shut down to reboot the pc ,it reboots BUT not properly? if i take the flash stick out of pc it will reboot as normal ,if i have the flash stick in the pc AFTER boot up it will show up on screen its in there ,however i can do no more than just install it,it gives no other options.i do wounder i fthere is a website or something that has a way to do a memory test or somthing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the BIOS set to boot from USB/Flash?

Many BIOS will hang if there is no boot record on a USB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Is the BIOS set to boot from USB/Flash?

Many BIOS will hang if there is no boot record on a USB.

that i don't know? incidently i have just been playing around with the websites & although i mainly have firefox on the pc there is internet explorer ,firefox is working a bit better than int ex,but FF is still crashing if not straght away . desk top is full ok & boots ok with no issues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might mean Install to USB. It needs to set up all the iso files for the computer it is plugged into

I think (!!!) maybe do that, it won't overwrite your hard drive without asking for a hard drive partition anyway?

Can anyone confirm?

If you can take a mobile phone piccie and post a link here, it might help
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats the make/model of the offending machine so people can tell you better what to press etc as for all we know you've got some old sun sparc machine with some emulation software to run windows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might mean Install to USB. It needs to set up all the iso files for the computer it is plugged into

I think (!!!) maybe do that, it won't overwrite your hard drive without asking for a hard drive partition anyway?

Can anyone confirm?

If you can take a mobile phone piccie and post a link here, it might help

just tryed to do that ,it did install ,but due to concerns it would do more than i want it to do i took it out again. i did also go into BIOS setting to look at booting from flash stick there are two BOOT CONFIG & USB CONFIG i will not be touching that ,there is fear i could do more worse than good.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you dudes have explained to emails that you are trying to get him to run a diiferent operating system Ubuntu (not Windows) on his faulty pc straight from the USB, to check the hardware is functioning. This involves starting the pc with the USB in and set as the 1st boot item in BIOS.

I disagree with this advice because

1 - it may involve going into BIOS, with the possibility of causing more problems
    2 - clicking the wrong thing when (if) Ubuntu starts may format his pc and install Ubuntu

I can see the next emails thread being about the Bash code to install drivers, flash etc

sudo tell emails not to use the usb stick (see what I did there)

I'm out . . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    just tryed to do that ,it did install ,but due to concerns it would do more than i want it to do i took it out again. i did also go into BIOS setting to look at booting from flash stick there are two BOOT CONFIG & USB CONFIG i will not be touching that ,there is fear i could do more worse than good.

Never mind about the BIOS. It should be fairly obvious if the USB stick is booting, because you get different stuff on the screen and it doesn't boot into Windows.

What exact messages and wording do you get on the screen?

How did you make the USB (what tool) and what is the iso filename?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind about the BIOS. It should be fairly obvious if the USB stick is booting, because you get different stuff on the screen and it doesn't boot into Windows.

What exact messages and wording do you get on the screen?

How did you make the USB (what tool) and what is the iso filename?

right 1stly someone asked for the information on the offending pc ,what i have is this INTEL (R) PENT R 4 CPU 3.40GHZ .0.99GB OF RAM this running on windows xp the machine itself is a VIGLAN GERNIE? i think a type of flat bed pc as to this download going into the download section of my other working pc i got this ; LINUXKIVE USB CREATOR 2.93 EXE 5.9MB TUXFAMILY.ORG.looking in properties on this file dis is creates bootable USB file version 1.0.0.0 size 5,86 mb .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you actually run Linux Live Creator (LiLi) to make a bootable stick?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you actually run Linux Live Creator (LiLi) to make a bootable stick?

not aware of it just opened file or run as & then install,but i un-installed straght after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't make a bootable USB Stick without installing and running the tool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't make a bootable USB Stick without installing and running the tool.

i don.t think i want to be installing some software to write over windows if that the only way to run a test for memory issues? there must be another way? i am going to have to sign off now will come back late tomorrow with any more information from here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea is it doesn't write over Windows but you never got that far. You got confused with the Creation Tool.

Maybe a friend or relative might be best to sit with you to guide you face to face
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coming back to this,just done a crucial memory scan on this faulty pc & it has come back with this

YOUR INTEL D945GTP MAX MEMORY 4096MG SLOTS 4 (2 BANKS OF 2) ONE SLOT 1GB 3 SLOTS BLANK DDR PC2 5300 STORAGE SATA 2 3GB VIDEO CARD PC1 EXPRESS X16 . not sure if it tells me if the memory is at fault or not but thought i'd bring it forward.the ubuntu installation i have left for now
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    coming back to this,just done a crucial memory scan on this faulty pc & it has come back with this

YOUR INTEL D945GTP MAX MEMORY 4096MG SLOTS 4 (2 BANKS OF 2) ONE SLOT 1GB 3 SLOTS BLANK DDR PC2 5300 STORAGE SATA 2 3GB VIDEO CARD PC1 EXPRESS X16 . not sure if it tells me if the memory is at fault or not but thought i'd bring it forward.the ubuntu installation i have left for now

If you mean the scan tool on the home page of the Crucial website then that is not a memory tester. All it does is identify what memory you have currently installed and what upgrades are possible for the machine.

So all it is telling you is that of the four RAM slots in the machine only one has anything in it and that is a 1GB stick. Whether that single stick of RAM is any good or not is another matter and not something the Crucial tool tests for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If you mean the scan tool on the home page of the Crucial website then that is not a memory tester. All it does is identify what memory you have currently installed and what upgrades are possible for the machine.

So all it is telling you is that of the four RAM slots in the machine only one has anything in it and that is a 1GB stick. Whether that single stick of RAM is any good or not is another matter and not something the Crucial tool tests for.

right ok no problam,will have to try somthing else