NO SIGNAL on Main TV Channels

misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
Forum Member
I have an unusual question. On my television now when I look at channels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 14 etc amongst others it says NO SIGNAL and the screen is blank. This is the TV only so when I press AV TV on the remote control.

Now when I switch to AV HDMI 1, which is where the Humax box is linked to, I can watch these channels through my Humax Box but NOT through the television. This only happened after I retuned my Humax box recently. So coincidence?

I am not sure if you have heard of anything like this before but before I updated the channels on the Humax box for Spike I could flick between the TV and Humax box and they mirrored each other but now that is not the case so I am not sure if this is a coincidence and I know the TV is not broken as I still get channels BBC1, BBC2 and BBC3 amongst other channels further down the register so in 30's and 40's but the main channels say NO SIGNAL.

I am in the Oxford region if that matters.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Best

M

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plug the aerial directly into the TV and check the channels again. That will eliminate any possible interference from the Humax box.

There should be no way that a retune of the Humax should have any effect at all on the TV, there is no link at all between the tuners in the two devices.

One thing also. When you switch to watching from the TV only do you put the Humax into standby? Some Humax boxes have a Low Power Standby mode that turns off the little amplifier that splits the aerial signal between the Humax tuners and the TV out socket. So that effectively kills the aerial feed to the telly! There should be a setting in the menu to turn this feature off so that the aerial feed through keeps working.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you mentioned HDMI, one to point to be aware of is that HDMI cables are known to cause interference, often to one Mux only. Make sure that the HDMI cable to your TV is as far away from the aerial cable as you can manage. If they must cross, try and do it at right angles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    As you mentioned HDMI, one to point to be aware of is that HDMI cables are known to cause interference, often to one Mux only. Make sure that the HDMI cable to your TV is as far away from the aerial cable as you can manage. If they must cross, try and do it at right angles.

Please explain why HDMI cables interfere ?
    Doesn't compute with me .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please explain why HDMI cables interfere ?
    Doesn't compute with me .
    I don't know the reason, but apparently they are renowned for it.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible you did a 'first time install' retune? and have, thereby, re-enabled ultra low power standby, thereby turning off the RF pass-through in standby on the Humax box?
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Because they are not screened and are carrying RF. They radiate.

Having said that I have never had any problem but then all my aerial leads are doulle screened with all the plugs fitted properly.

Look up the specs on tape and braid coax it should be greater than 80dB at 1m .
    Then look up the keel over point of a DVB-T mux.

Get your field strength meter or analyser and with a antenna and measure what radiates from a HDMI cable and it should be sod all otherwise it will not meet EU , EMC standards and consequently would not be allowed to have the CE mark added and then it could not be sold in the EU.

Then get a length of coax , wrap it around a HDMI cable ,load one end with a 75 ohm load and measure at the other if it is at all possible to measure anything .

80dB of screening on a coax would result in almost nothing getting through the cable , poor connectors is another issue.
    For those who do not understand dB,s like call me Dave , 80dB is 100,000,000 to 1 as a ratio

So as I said it doesn't compute, but on the other hand I have not done the refered to measurements , so although it is extremely unlikely that a know it all like me has overlooked something (probably a ratio of 80dB) I I have been known to get it wrong once in 20 years.

What I do know and have experience of this is the HDMI method of transfering AV from the source to the TV or other device is inherently unstable ,in particular with some makes of sky receivers.
    In the profession that uses digital audio video in studios etc ,HDMI is not normally used ,but a diffrent system that doesn't keel over in the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes rules are broken. Sometimes HDMIs radiate. Sometimes people don't use double screened coax. Sometimes people don't fit coax plugs properly.
    And sometimes people, for the sake of neatness, tape all their cables together so that they are in very close proximity.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    I don't know the reason, but apparently they are renowned for it.

Please don't feed the troll, he is just a schoolboy.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are at least two CE marks, make sure you have the right one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#/media/File:Comparison_of_two_used_CE_marks.svg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, noted. Hadn't noticed beyond him being a bit argumentative, but that is quite common here. :)
    Forum Member

I am only twelve and three quarters .

Bet you wish you had the technical knowledge that I have .

Go on answer the question on precision offset on analogue tv broadcasts and also how is SFN done on digital and why does it work.
    Bet yer can't without looking it up on Wikepedia!

I learnt all this in nappies when I was slurping cow and gate milk from a feeding bottle .

Still don't know what a troll is ?

Anyhow why are you being orrible to me .
    I will tell me mum of you .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am only twelve and three quarters .

Bet you wish you had the technical knowledge that I have .

Go on answer the question on precision offset on analogue tv broadcasts and also how is SFN done on digital and why does it work.
    Bet yer can't without looking it up on Wikepedia!

I learnt all this in nappies when I was slurping cow and gate milk from a feeding bottle .

Still don't know what a troll is ?

Anyhow why are you being orrible to me .
    I will tell me mum of you .

Back to your homework or teacher will be cross.

By the way, what did you say to someone that got the previous thread you were on closed? Something childishly insulting I presume.
    Forum Member
    My HDMI cables don't have CE marks on them and they were all bought here or supplied with equipment bought here.

Sometimes rules are broken. Sometimes HDMIs radiate. Sometimes people don't use double screened coax. Sometimes people don't fit coax plugs properly.

I accept your argument ,but not installing things properly does result in things not working .

The point I am making is that a HDMI cable should not interfere with a DVB-T signal via the coax .
    Every supplier importer and manufacturer must meet strict EMC standards and most coax these days is the tape and braid type .
    In days past Volex produced a low cost coax with poor braiding .
    This was a single screened coax ,from memory C55 ,but even this had about 45dB of isolation at 1 m .

So the problem with HDMI cables causing problems with the incoming signal seems unlikely to me ,but as I have said I have never tested it.

What I suspect is the problem is the electrical induced pulse that does come from the outside screen of the coax causing a problem with the HDMI feed and the HDMI receiver chip in the tv keels over.

Antenna downloads in other countries ,especially in the south west of the U.S. are grounded via a grounding block as severe electrical pulse from storms knackers TV sets .
    My computer and TV was fried despite a single grounding block on the antenna input .
    Grounding antenna feeds is a standard requirement on transmitters and cell sites .
    In Germany and other European countries it has been normal to ground the TV down lead.

Anyhow that's my opinion ,some may have a diffrent one .
    Forum Member
    Back to your homework or teacher will be cross.

By the way, what did you say to someone that got the previous thread you were on closed? Something childishly insulting I presume.

Nope ,I never said that ,anyhow I am too nice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope ,I never said that ,anyhow I am too nice

Personally I think you need medical help.

Goodbye.
    Forum Member
    Personally I think you need medical help.

Goodbye.

Anthony

There is no need to be rude and offensive.

You started being rude to me when I questioned your knowledge and experience on some technical matters on your posts.

The fact is I have more than likely being doing this longer than you in a professional capacity at a higher level, but of course I do not know for certain.

If you can't engage in lively technical debate without this upsetting you then think carefully about your posts because someone like me ,may challenge you and you then get upset again .

You have to be prepared for someone to question your technical judgement on such forums .

I tried to lighten things up a bit with some humour .
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, misfitt.

Were you able to use any of these comments to solve your problem ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The fact is I have more than likely being doing this longer than you in a professional capacity at a higher level, but of course I do not know for certain.

Your profile says you are 25. If you were a professional engineer, which you clearly are not, and had been to university which I also doubt, you would have been working now for a maximum of three years. You would also be working in a very junior capacity. Many of the people you have insulted, including myself, have been in the business for decades. We are more than willing to pass on our acquired knowledge to others. Please don't troll our posts.
    Forum Member
    Your profile says you are 25. If you were a professional engineer, which you clearly are not, and had been to university which I also doubt, you would have been working now for a maximum of three years. You would also be working in a very junior capacity. Many of the people you have insulted, including myself, have been in the business for decades. We are more than willing to pass on our acquired knowledge to others. Please don't troll our posts.

I apologise if my banter has offended you ,it was not my intention .

For the record , I am a experienced engineer and design broadcast equipment including high power digital and analogue transmitters and transposers .
    I also design tv ,radio and microwave antenna arrays.

I also have detailed knowledge on all aspects of broadcast coverage .

I will refrain from teasing you .
    This is something I do usually without offence to my work colleges .
    But I can't spell and my grammar is something my friends tease me about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And your age is?

And you work for?
    Forum Member
    And your age is?

And you work for?

Not relevant
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, misfitt.

Forum Member
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Hello, misfitt.

Sorry you are correct ,we should be helping misfit with his problem .

Oxford is hilly ( used to live there) and there is more than one transmitter serving the area.

From what misfit describes it is a problem that needs resolving by a aerial contractor who knows the area and is familiar with the type of reception problem you are having and that is the auto tune is organising the EPG on the wrong transmitter and this needs filtering out if it isn't a problem with the antenna incorrectly polarised or pointing the wrong way.