TV is changing, look out for your sky mag

Comments

• maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    3D is a long way off.

I haven't seen any 3D TVs in European shops, for starters.....

Besides, I'd rather see Sky bring us more HD and true VOD first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Quick note which I've mentioned elsewhere, after following the online HD upgrade for £49, as a current sky talk line rental subscriber I was offered 6 months half price, saving £30 for my patience whilst waiting for HD (min 12 month contract again) as well as my 1 month free HD pack.

Not actually a bad deal, will offset the subscription for a while and the first time I can remember a discount given on a product without asking since they removed the £10 sky+ charge....
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still reckon it's the £10 monthly charge (+ 12 month contract) that will hold the most people back and not the box price.

Still you can't moan at something getting cheaper!
  • cfcchriscfcchris Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    the tv ad has now changed, it just goes on to say hd for everyone now that the price is cheaper. no VOD, EPG or anything of any interest to anyone. god damn Sky and thier boring ad campaigns
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The recently 3D-TV posters, the Sky+ HD boxes can support the 3D stuff, like you said, but 3D television sets aren't, as far as i know, available. I've seen the prototype one where you don't need the 3D glasses and I was really impressed, but I think it'll be a while until these TV sets are available to us.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a wide range of disagreement about how to do 3D TV.

At CES, some of the implementations:

- Regular TV screen with 3D glasses
    - A wide variety of proprietary systems using a specific type of input on a special type of screen
    - A system that took 2D images and used special processing techniques to make them 3D

Until a commonly accepted specification is agreed, 3DTV will remain a prototype.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard Sky Digibox with subscription
    FREE plus £60 installation
    Sky+ Digibox with subscription
    FREE plus FREE installation using discount code SALE140068031302
    Sky+HD Digibox with subscription
    £49 plus FREE installation, plus first months Sky HD Pack FREE (usually £10)
    All these deals can be found online here http://www.joinskytv.co.uk/link.php?product=buy
    Offers end 12th February 2009 so be quick!
    is this good:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well my new sky mag came today and nothing special in it apart from it going on about the £49 HD offer....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    - Regular TV screen with 3D glasses

So are you saying that 3D is possible using polarised glasses and existing televisions?
  • anthony47anthony47 Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    grendal wrote: »
    So are you saying that 3D is possible using polarised glasses and existing televisions?

Have a look at the BBCs Click programme on iPlayer, they did a long piece on this a few days ago.
  • MilhouseVHMilhouseVH Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anthony47 wrote: »
    Have a look at the BBCs Click programme on iPlayer, they did a long piece on this a few days ago.

I thought they said the LCD screens were running at 120hz for 3D with polarised lenses so hardly a regular TV in that sense. I'd expect the digital processing of most normal LCD TVs to screw up the rapidly changing image somehow.
  • BradPBradP Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    As someone who has multiroom i've just found that i have to pay the £30 set up fee. To say i'm miffed is an understatement. I already have 2 Sky+ boxes so as far as i'm aware does someone just have to come in and swap the boxes over and maybe pair the card to the box? If so they can go take a running jump as i refuse to pay the £30. Perhaps i should cancel the multiroom then reorder it online!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    MilhouseVH wrote: »
    I thought they said the LCD screens were running at 120hz for 3D with polarised lenses so hardly a regular TV in that sense. I'd expect the digital processing of most normal LCD TVs to screw up the rapidly changing image somehow.

Is the refresh rate software controlled? Would a firmware upgrade potentially enable your set to refresh at the rate required for this to work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    A box at the fraction of what some of us paid & only £30 for what is in fact a 'call-out' to fit it & you're still moaning!
    With a big backlog of orders from this offer already on the books I can imagine what messers Murdoch & Co will say to anyone who objects to paying £79 for an HD install!
    After all, its not often existing customers are privvy to such offers, normally we pay twice as much if not more.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the refresh rate software controlled? Would a firmware upgrade potentially enable your set to refresh at the rate required for this to work?

Unlikely. Most sets are built down to a given price, and would be unable to increasing their refresh rate by more than 5-10Hz.

You would need a new set.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    niveus wrote: »
    paying your sky subs

ring customer services if you don't recieve it (but your not missing much, mine usually goes from doormat straight into recycling box)

i get one for the person who lived here before me.....and until today i wasn't with sky but still get it every month without fail!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can't even check my Sky mag didnt even get it, yet. First month ever without a sky mag, its weird the one I really want to look at I don't get it lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Sky magazine arrived today, so how exactly is TV changing?

All I could find were lots and lots of ads for 49 quid Sky.... a big fat whoop! :sleep:
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest laugh was an ad just on ITV Wales.

A great exclusive digital switchover offer for Wales.

A Sky + box for only £49.

Anyone thinking that is a good deal will really think TV is changing when they discover everyone in Britain can now get the far better HD box for the same price.

Must be the most misleading ad on TV right now.
  • warrior51warrior51 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not received this months magazine, but probably would have come today but with the adverse weather do not think any post was around my way. I can recall not getting my magazine once before and I sent an email saying that I had not received. They wrote back saying there was none left at the publishers. I replied to that saying please credit my account then with the amount that is taken from my subscription towards these magazines. They arrived 2 days later!! Not that I'm bothered but one has to keep big machines like Sky on their toes !!!!
  • mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finally got the sky mag today 3rd feb, normally get it a week before the end of the previous month & all because sky+hd box can now be got for £49, thanks sky
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finally got the sky mag today 3rd feb, normally get it a week before the end of the previous month & all because sky+hd box can now be got for £49, thanks sky

I've still not got mine :( and like you it is usually here a week before the end of the month.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I've still not got mine :( and like you it is usually here a week before the end of the month.

Just for you here is a summary.

P.2 Sky HD is now £49

p.3 Sky HD is really great

p.4 Everything is in HD

p.5 You really need HD

p.6 Did we mention HD yet?

ps: We are also showing a few programmes this month.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd say so. The latest episode of Chuck in the States was broadcast in 3D with viewers needing the glasses.