Options

Has Language Got THAT Bad?

Comments

• Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's even worse in Glasgow. I once had to get off a bus because of a really infuriating (and loud!) conversation between two young girls when they couldn't complete a sentence without saying "a wis like at" and "she wis like at". One of them kept losing their train of thought and sounded like a broken record, "so a wis like that....a wis like...a wis like". It was how loud they were that really bothered me, to be honest.
    When did this sort of rubbish begin do you think?

I've been noticing it for about two years here in Sheffield.

I mean, when you analyse it it just doesn't make sense. :confused:

I wonder who started them all off saying "I was like..." instead of "I said..."

It can't be laziness that causes them to do that as it takes more words to say "I was like" than "I said".

Bizarre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hathor wrote: »
    A Tesco man called the art print on my wall "sick". I couldn't take him seriously.

I've got to ask.....

What WAS the art print ?
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certain ridiculous phrases are now used all the time in ordinary speech.

"at the end of the day"
    "dya know what I mean"
    "know wot im sayin"
    "innit"

Utterly pathetic...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Artymags wrote: »
    When did this sort of rubbish begin do you think?

I've been noticing it for about two years here in Sheffield.

I mean, when you analyse it it just doesn't make sense. :confused:

I wonder who started them all off saying "I was like..." instead of "I said..."

It can't be laziness that causes them to do that as it takes more words to say "I was like" than "I said".

Bizarre!

No idea, but certainly much longer than two years up here anyway :cry: Actually, come to think of it, it might have spawned from American TV shows and movies with young people constantly saying things such as "I was like - whatever, dude!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, but certainly much longer than two years up here anyway :cry: Actually, come to think of it, it might have spawned from American TV shows and movies with young people constantly saying things such as "I was like - whatever, dude!"
    Oh yes - and that's another one !

What is the exact meaning of "Dude" ?

Is it a term of affection or an insult?

A certain rather unpleasant teenager on this forum has called me "Dude" in some of her posts. It didn't sound very polite in the context!.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I really, REALLY hate most of all though is how they say "I was like...." instead of "I said...."

So I saw her talking to this boy and I was like "what you talking to him for?" and she was like "what's it to you?" and I was like "well you know who' he's going out with" and she was like "yes and I don't care" and I was like...... etc. etc. :mad::mad::mad:

is it becuz...its not about what they are saying, its about what they think about what they are saying. everybody thinks what they are saying is really important.

aidunno. :s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A certain rather unpleasant teenager on this forum has called me "Dude" in some of her posts. It didn't sound very polite in the context!.

Dude is a general word for a person. It can be male or female but is generally used for a male. You can address somebody as 'Dude' or use it as a descriptive (i.e. that dude over there)

Just a pointer - I'm fifteen and I don't understand most of that either. I don't hear many people saying it though - maybe I'm just not around the people who talk like that?:confused:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    Certain ridiculous phrases are now used all the time in ordinary speech.

"at the end of the day"
    "dya know what I mean"
    "know wot im sayin"
    "innit"

Utterly pathetic...

Or people (including nearly all English footballers) who stick the word "obviously" into every sentence.

If it was so frigging obvious we don't need to hear them saying it.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    BigBHM wrote: »
    Ah luvs Monk, innit d'oh. I woz like, watchin Monk an like, it maked me larf so much I was like, dis guy is arright innit.

I think what it means is:
    I love Monk, isn't it good? I was watching Monk and it made me laugh so much. I was like, this guy is alright isn't it?
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not heard any one in our year say this for the last few weeks (year 8)
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For as long as it doesn't find its way onto Ceebeebies there's still hope.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    I've not heard any one in our year say this for the last few weeks (year 8)

Kids round here use it all the time - even the educated middle class ones. It annoys me. (Especially those about your age).

It's utter nonsense as well - it's answering a question with a totally nonsensical one. "is it like..." no, it is not LIKE at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Watching any news/general interest programme where teenagers are being interviewed and all I seem to hear is "like" every two seconds or "you know/you know what I mean?"

Iz, like, you know, these words like, the only fing, like that younger people like can say these days like... you know what I mean? :rolleyes:

Yes VERY annoying isn't it. It makes you wonder. Nobody seems to care anymore. Once they interviewed a teenager about getting good A-level results on the news, so you would think they could speak the language properly but oh no; example - "I'm so happy, it's really amazing yeah, it's like err, such an achievement you know? Now I can like...look forward to uni which I'm sooo looking forward to" - NOT real btw (I know you were all wondering lol) but similar to how a lot of teenagers speak.
  • Options
    Triple-PTriple-P Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how the hell did footballers come into this?

there are a lot of intelligent footballers out there.

i hate when older people generalise a whole group of people such as kids and teenagers!

grow up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nats_x wrote: »
    Yes VERY annoying isn't it. It makes you wonder. Nobody seems to care anymore. Once they interviewed a teenager about getting good A-level results on the news, so you would think they could speak the language properly but oh no; example - "I'm so happy, it's really amazing yeah, it's like err, such an achievement you know? Now I can like...look forward to uni which I'm sooo looking forward to" - NOT real btw (I know you were all wondering lol) but similar to how a lot of teenagers speak.

I don't really see teenagers using their own idioms as a particular problem. I think it's all part and parcel of finding yourself. They are part of the formative years.

I come from a small village in South-West Scotland. we had very few people moving in and out. We weren't exactly cut off from the world, but when I left home, it became clear to me that most people didn't speak as I did. Some people clearly thought that I was stupid. Others were patronising. The upshot is that I don't exactly have much time for people who judge others on how they speak. Language isn't static, be that the language itself, or individual modes of speech.

Know what I mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member

It can be both really. I don't find "Dude" so bad, to be honest, although one of friends overuses it and it can be annoying.

There was a girl at my school who couldn't help saying, "so I did" as much as she could.

"I went to the pictures on Saturday...so I did"
    "he was playing football...so he was"

Quite cute really, thinking back :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I saw this comment earlier on a story about the crowd problems in Brum over the weekend. Mind boggling.
    I dnt knw y dey r comin wid investigation its is the councils fauld y did they put up the barriers i was there and they put up 1 huge barrier n left 1 person 2 hold it once the fing came down dat ws it a 6 yr old girl was crushed in the madness they shudnt even put up the barriers up in 1st place they shud of left it clear n now dere r people in hospital if i didnt hve my mum i wud be joing dem. nxt tym u lot shud fink about saftety a bit better

That full stop looks lonely, innit. :rolleyes:

http://birminghamnewsroom.com/christmas-lights-switch-on-cancelled/christmas-lights-switch-on-cancelled/
    Someone's commented on that very post. I wonder if Jada will get the message. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A dude was originally a twerpy townie who moved to the country and thought they were suddenly a rancher or cowboy. In the UK it's just a substitute for mate . . . innit, if that makes sense, atdendadaday, so I goes: ah blame dat Tim Westwood an'at, janartamean? Dey ain dissin yous callin you dude, dude, innit mate. Respeck!
  • Options
    One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say the word 'dude'. I don't see what the problem is with that word. If people overuse it, then it could probably be annoying but it's no different to using the word 'guy'.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galvatron wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I don't think filler words are a problem. Teenagers using 'like' is no different from older people saying 'um' or 'erm' (remember Craig from big brother 1 - eeehrm every few words).

Quite. A certain Mr Blair was hailed in certain quarters as a great communicator, yet he couldn't get more than ten syllables without an "um" or an "ah". It's a function of speech; only the vocabulary changes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I think what it means is:
    I love Monk, isn't it good? I was watching Monk and it made me laugh so much. I was like, this guy is alright isn't it?
    :D

:D That's about the size of it.
    Innit. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Someone here has compared what we are discussing to 'accents' - but it is not about accents.
    Armstrong and Miller demonstrate this with their rather good sketches about the WW2 airmen speaking in RP, but with modern 'kids' lingo:

Airmen
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    Someone here has compared what we are discussing to 'accents' - but it is not about accents.
    Armstrong and Miller demonstrate this with their rather good sketches about the WW2 airmen speaking in RP, but with modern 'kids' lingo:

Airmen

Yeah, "dialect" and "accent" are two different things. And "dialect" doesn't have to be regional.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Ajax. wrote: »
    Trying look at the language used on facebook...It's shameful! I can hardly understand the damn wall posts :(

I refuse to use text speak anywhere other than in text messages. My cousin commented on my facebook wall once "y u talk lyk dat?" :(

Those of us who speak and write properly and becoming a minority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's American but it's creeping in here.

I aksed him instead of I asked him.