Options

No slang in the slang app

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When the men conceived the idea of a slang app, I thought it was a great idea. This may have to do with having spent time on a Geordie slang website en route today from London to Newcastle, so myself was thinking that could be useful.

But, what they actually created was an app with samples of accents. Mildly funny as a one off, maybe, but not offering much more then what you could find easily on YouTube

And as much as the UK knows and loves its'
varied accents, beyond the borders, very few
people are going to take amusement from a
Welsh or Liverpool accent! Limited audience from the upstart

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Yes and it also annoyed me that the boys' team never quite grasped that it wasn't suitable in any way as a global app. The project manager in particular seemed to think the app flopped globally because the world found it tasteless or offensive. No, that's not why.

Outside the UK, there's little or no interest in UK accents. Most places outside the UK don't know that we even have lots of different accents. The boys' pseudo-slang app was utterly parochial in global terms and performed as pitifully on that scale as it deserved to.

Cockney put-downs and Scouse witticisms and the like might be ironically hilarious to us on this island, but to the world they're like reading a local newspaper from somewhere far away where you don't live. Pretty pointless.
  • Options
    Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Blair wrote: »
    Yes and it also annoyed me that the boys' team never quite grasped that it wasn't suitable in any way as a global app. The project manager in particular seemed to think the app flopped globally because the world found it tasteless or offensive. No, that's not why.

Outside the UK, there's little or no interest in UK accents. Most places outside the UK don't know that we even have lots of different accents. The boys' pseudo-slang app was utterly parochial in global terms and performed as pitifully on that scale as it deserved to.

Cockney put-downs and Scouse witticisms and the like might be ironically hilarious to us on this island, but to the world they're like reading a local newspaper from somewhere far away where you don't live. Pretty pointless.

BIB: This is what was on my mind and I couldn't understand why they thought it failed because of political correctness. :confused: