Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it at the IMAX & I thoroughly enjoyed it, great special effects, great story & sh*tloads of action with a nice bit of mindless robot violence. It was well worth the money :).
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the preview tonight and absolutely loved it. All the insane editing and hard to follow action shots of number 2, along with the stupid comedy has gone. Still funny, with glorious action, some fantastic visuals and Rosie whilst never going to win an Oscar for emoting, is nowhere as bad as I expected.

The 3D aspect is really impressive as well, felt seamless and not just an added afterthought. Great opening sequence, and overall reminds me why Shia Le Bouef is one of my favourite actors

Well worth the £10.55 luxury seat ticket price, the numb bum and the sore eyes.

Special mention to Frances McDormand for her performance as head of the Autobot intelligence unit.
  • daveyp2007daveyp2007 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Just got back from a cineworld screening and thought id share my 2 pence worth.

Firstly to get an idea of my thoughts on the previous ones, loved the first, enjoyed the first hour and a half of the second, bored for the last hour!!

So Dark of the moon

Rosie is not as bad as people make out - performance reminded me of kelly brooks performance in piranha 3d (but with clothes on) i guess it was the stereotypical female english accent!! I mention this first as it appears to be the main critism in the press reviews!!

Action Spot on cant fault it, 3d is ok, didnt find it as "amazing" as reviews are making out however im the first to admit that i feel 3d is a phase, if you enjoy your 3d movies this experience will probably top your list!!

There is actually a plot!! yes and it isnt to bad either!!

Cameos are totally wasted, borderline disappointed with a number of them!!

I guess in hindsight its the best of the trilogy, the reason i say that is when i was watching it i felt exhausted and that due to its huge running time i was looking forward to seeing the credits, however when you break it down its improved in all areas!!!

strange abrubpt ending, which obviously leaves it open for a return if they so choose!!

Tried to keep this spoiler free, cant wait to hear other peoples thoughts (rather than rotten tomatoes critics!!)

Truthfully i just want them to remake the 1986 cartoon movie into live action!!! - is that to much to ask!!!

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow 3 comments above really make the wait for 8pm tomorrow a long one, cant wait to see it in IMAX 2 quick questions to those that have seen it

1) Is the 3D like good in IMAX (or in general) as in stuff comes out the screen or does it just add depth to the background?

2) What trailers were shown as the last 3 films I've seen have only shown Harry Potter and Rise of the Planet of the Apes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow 3 comments above really make the wait for 8pm tomorrow a long one, cant wait to see it in IMAX 2 quick questions to those that have seen it

1) Is the 3D like good in IMAX (or in general) as in stuff comes out the screen or does it just add depth to the background?

2) What trailers were shown as the last 3 films I've seen have only shown Harry Potter and Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

(1) I found the 3D amazing in the IMAX, it had a bit of both coming out of the screen & background, but it was my first experience of it, so have nothing to compare it to.

(2) The trailers shown were Harry Potter, Reel Steel (Hugh Jackman), Tin Tin.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's Patrick Dempsey like in it? I think Rosie is stunning. Really want to go see it.
  • Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveyp2007 wrote: »
    Just got back from a cineworld screening and thought id share my 2 pence worth.

<snipped>

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with most of what you said.

The difference is that whilst you're quite positive, I felt negative after seeing it.

It's undoubtedly an improvement on Revenge of the Fallen (which isn't saying much admittedly) and the action sequences are much easier to follow than the previous two.

In fact, some of the action sequences and visuals are great (the first ten minutes contains one of the most epic looking shots that utilises the 3d really well).

But - what was unforgiveable for me - was that during the epic final battle sequence, I became bored?

Why? It's not necessarily because the film is too long - it's because it's too full of needless crap:

For example:

- Sam's office job.
    - Sam's ****ing parents.
    - John Malkovitch's character. He takes up around 5 minutes of screentime for no good reason than to be 'quirky John Malkovitch'. At one point, one character points out to him that he is needlessly distracting from an important moment of exposition.
    - Actually, it's the fact that Michael Bay seems to think his audience has the attention span of a gnat which makes the film so exhausting. He can't just have one thing going on in a scene - there has to be some other pointless distraction going on. In one scene, the dude formerly of Sector 7 has a doddery old geezer stumbling around for no good reason.

And then there's the characterisation. Everyone HAS. TO. SHOUT. all of the time, whilst being needlessly aggressive.

I'm not saying that Bay can't make it work - I love Armageddon - which suffers from that problem (and all the others I've listed). But here it just grates and makes Sam in particular particularly dislikeable. He's a great protagonist in the first film, but here, he's just a mean spirited dick.

Meanwhile the poor Transformers continue to get almost no characterisation. The two Primes featured have moments, as does Megatron and Bumblebee. But that's about it.

All of this makes TF 3 a chore to watch. By the time we got to the final battle, I either didn't like or didn't care about anyone involved in it (apart from Bumblebee).

I know it's a dumb action film - but that doesn't mean it can't be done well.

In his career Bay has created one clasic (The Rock), two decent action movies (Bad Boys 1 and TF1) and one brilliantly awful film (Armageddon). Bay can do better than this - and I just wish he would.
  • Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's Patrick Dempsey like in it?

He's ok, but quite frankly, anyone could've been playing his role.
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    To those that have seen the film, how much screen time does Shuttle Discovery (the real one) get in the movie?

We knew she had scenes, but no idea where it fits into the movie, or if she is just a pretty background.

From the NASA site at the time they were filming at KSC:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/sts-133-hyper-loading-discovery-star-transformers-movie/

And we've seen here in the trailers where they are rushing up the crawlerway to the launch pad.

Bump, as I've got no chance of seeing this till the weekend due to work :(
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it Last Night and enjoyed it,the 3D was probably the best ive personally seen since Avatar,but the only bad point about it was the length,the wife had switched off by halfway through and i thought that they could have lost 30 minutes easily and still got all they needed to get in

but it was a good film and a whole lot better than Revenge of the Fallen
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I really am not sure whether to go for the cinema for this or wait until I'm on a plane in 2 weeks.

If I go to the cinema I see it now but usually Virgin Atlantic have the cinema releases on the plane and a lot of them at that.

Any solutions people?:p
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really am not sure whether to go for the cinema for this or wait until I'm on a plane in 2 weeks.

If I go to the cinema I see it now but usually Virgin Atlantic have the cinema releases on the plane and a lot of them at that.

Any solutions people?:p

Do what you want to do. I'd go to the cinema and then if it's really good i'd see it again on the plane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night and felt a little let down by it.

What i dont get is that at 2 & 1/2 hours run time, there seemed to be key scenes missing!
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My God, the last hour went on and on for ever. Endless explosions and destruction upon more destruction created by Decepticons with no identity, fought by Autobots, many of who had no identity.

I imagine that with
    both Megatron, Starscream and Sentinal Prime dead

there's, and I hate to say this, thankfully little chance of Transformers 4.

The first 90 mins was actually pretty good, but the plot seemed rushed so that an hour of Bay's normal filmaking could be fitted in before people started falling asleep.

Nice to see that Rosie wasn't at all bad considering, and also good to see Buzz Aldrin get screen time and lines with a credit at the end.

I'll admit that when the final credits started to roll, I felt like my eyeballs and brain had been raped.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Watched it this afternoon.....Lots of fun, total nonsense....very silly, loved every minute of it.8/10
    Better then the second...and as good as the first.:)

Rosie, amazingly, very good.... acting that is....:p

AlanTudyk....:cool:

"I'm so sorry, that was the old me"
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Do what you want to do. I'd go to the cinema and then if it's really good i'd see it again on the plane.

There is that I suppose. I don't normally treat myself, I just may even if it is only a trip to the cinema:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Rosie, amazingly, very good.... acting that is

I was in the front row in the IMAX with the 3D glasses on, that first scene she was in made 3D look great. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the other week that aside from the obvious, T2 really suffered from a lack of Jon Voight. He bought a lot of gravitas to T1, and reall should've been asked back. While Frances McDormand could be considered a female Voight replacement, too much of her role in T3 was played for laughs.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow! what a movie! some great action sequences.

Definately better then no.2.

the woman that looks like Pete Burns was alright. did the part of "dumb ****ing bird with no point except looking nice" well.

kind of miss Megan Fox. well, I kind of missed her bum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the woman that looks like Pete Burns

You owe me a new keyboard. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D and loved it!

The last 45 minutes were all action, I mean some reviews (such as the one for Inception) say that the last hour were all action non stop and while Inception did run at a hell of a pace I wouldn't call it non stop. Transformers was! And every second of it is fantastic. The 3D was brilliant as well and I truly recommend seeing it in IMAX if possible.

The plot was pretty good, still silly but pretty good. Rosie was good nothing more, nothing less and absolutely no where near as bad as some reviews are making out (although I do think she shout SAM! a few too many times :D). It's by far the best of the franchise IMO and truly enjoyable experience. There is one moment in particular where you could here a pin drop in my cinema as it looked so awesome. For those that have seen it, it was
    the part where Bumblebee tranformers over the crash on the motorway which tosses Sam out of the car then he transforms back in to the car over Sam so Sam ends up the car. Hard to write :D but pretty awesome!
    and another call out to the wing suit scene which looked outstanding in 3D. It was everything I wanted from a Transformers film loud and action packed with a stupid story.

A definate solid 9/10 with a point off because of two things -
    1) It was cheesy, some points oozed with cheese with some really cheesy dialogue ("You didn't disgrace me... You disgraced yourself") being a particular highlight, however weirdly this time the comedy WAS funny IMO. But sometimes it was a little :rolleyes:
    2) The end... it seem to just well... end. Big battle then it just... ended nothing that showed the aftermath it just finished. Seeing as this is supposed to be the last Bay film I thought they did a great job to truly make it an epic battle between the autobots and decepticons and reuniting the majority of the major cast giving them bigger and better things to do, however it would have been nice to show a final scene to really round of the trilogy.

But it was fantastic and will definately will be getting it on blu-ray although will definately not be as good as it was in the IMAX 3D theatre. Was worth the wait and every penny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also pratically the entire trailer is footage from the final 45 minutes. So don't expect to see many shots from it until very late on.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You owe me a new keyboard. :D

:D:D:D

its those big weird lips!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    There is one moment in particular where you could here a pin drop in my cinema as it looked so awesome. For those that have seen it, it was
    the part where Bumblebee tranformers over the crash on the motorway which tosses Sam out of the car then he transforms back in to the car over Sam so Sam ends up the car. Hard to write :D but pretty awesome!

Interestingly that scene caused everyone in the screening i was at to burst out in laughter!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly that scene caused everyone in the screening i was at to burst out in laughter!

Why? :confused: