Spooks Season 10

Comments

• thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spooks is back! I wasn't so sure about last weeks episode but todays was absolutely perfect.

Tariq :(
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah a good old fashioned Spooks death.

I'm going to miss this show.

Good episode again this week.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    You see that's what I love about Spooks. It has a tendency to just kill characters all of a sudden who you didn't even know were in danger until just before their death. Shame to see him go, but there is nothing like a good twist ending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    the one tariq saw with the case looked female?
    could it be that russian female (sashas mother) ?
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The suspense it back!

One of the great things, I think, is how you never know how you truly feel about a Spooks character until their death.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Looked like her to me but it was left unclear intentionally. He seemed to recognise who it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    What does film and TV drama think it's doing, showing us these computers that make boopity-boop and bleepity-bleep noises all the time?

Also annoyed by the ease with which encryption was broken. All the computing power in the world – never mind a 'botnet' (lol) – wouldn't break Tariq's likely alphanumeric password, even if it was only encrypted with average strength. That element of this plot was just TV hogwash, a conceit that has always been used. Encryption has to be breakable for the sake of TV storylines.

And why the hell was the exposed lady spy not entitled to a new identity? It seemed to me that she was 'burned' solely for the sake of emotional impact.

I was impressed with the attention to detail for Tariq's home setup. When he switched on his two iMacs they came on showing a feature of OS X Lion called Launchpad. Lion was only released in mid-July this year. Presumably they used an early beta during filming, anticipating that Tariq would have the latest version of his favourite OS.

May Tariq rest in peace. I was as gripped by his death scene as by any in the long history of this great show. Is it the last such scene for the series though? I think Dmitri and, er, that new bird are both safe – they're not established enough to be worth killing off.

Harry's the big one. I would like to see him and Ruth going dark together at the end of it all, but I fear the worst.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Blair wrote: »
    What does film and TV drama think it's doing, showing us these computers that make boopity-boop and bleepity-bleep noises all the time?

Also annoyed by the ease with which encryption was broken. All the computing power in the world – never mind a 'botnet' (lol) – wouldn't break Tariq's likely alphanumeric password, even if it was only encrypted with average strength. That element of this plot was just TV hogwash, a conceit that has always been used. Encryption has to be breakable for the sake of TV storylines.

And why the hell was the exposed lady spy not entitled to a new identity? It seemed to me that she was 'burned' solely for the sake of emotional impact.

I was impressed with the attention to detail for Tariq's home setup. When he switched on his two iMacs they came on showing a feature of OS X Lion called Launchpad. Lion was only released in mid-July this year. Presumably they used an early beta during filming, anticipating that Tariq would have the latest version of his favourite OS.

May Tariq rest in peace. I was as gripped by his death scene as by any in the long history of this great show. Is it the last such scene for the series though? I think Dmitri and, er, that new bird are both safe – they're not established enough to be worth killing off.

Harry's the big one. I would like to see him and Ruth going dark together at the end of it all, but I fear the worst.
    Also - you would have thought that MI5 and EVERYWHERE would have learned to disable USB access.. and use thin clients etc... especially after the HMRC debacle.

Another IT bod headbutting my desk while I was watching that...
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Almost certainly female, I agree.
  • indenialindenial Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    Almost certainly female, I agree.

Think you all might be onto something there... That was my thoughts that it was Sasha's mother. Took a screengrab... Maybe this will enlighten?

http://imageshack.us/f/405/vlcsnap2011092522h16m15.png/
    Forum Member
    indenial wrote: »
    Think you all might be onto something there... That was my thoughts that it was Sasha's mother. Took a screengrab... Maybe this will enlighten?

http://imageshack.us/f/405/vlcsnap2011092522h16m15.png/

it would be a shocking twist if it turns out to be Ruth.....but going by the screengrab and also the broadcast version does not look like her stance/body?

but there is also something about that Calum that rings alarm bells
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be a shocking twist if it turns out to be Ruth.....but going by the screengrab and also the broadcast version does not look like her stance/body?

I thought it might be Ruth too - vengence for the killing of her fiance? - but it so looks like Sasha's Mother so I'm assuming it isn't her, using Spooks logic.:);)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It certainly looks like it could be Elena, but is that too obvious? Could be any woman in disguise, and Ruth is about the same height as Elena, is she not?

I got a sinking feeling halfway through the episode that the person behind all this could actually be Ruth, but is that too similar to the Connie storyline a few years back? It would make for a shocking finale if she's only unmasked then, but I think it's a definite possibility. They're making Calum look too suspicious for me to believe it, and Ruth was the only other one who knew Tariq was working from home, except possibly Harry himself...

Much improved episode in my opinion, really enjoyed it until they killed Tariq off!
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it's Ruth.

The hair looks more like the woman at the end of ep1, phoning someone saying that Collison was dead.
    Forum Member
    I got a sinking feeling halfway through the episode that the person behind all this could actually be Ruth,!

ruth was told to investigate the cia guy by harry but you saw her close that file and there was harry's file...
    why did she have that?.....adding up the evidence it could be ruth thats behind it all.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg! did not see that coming! poor tariq :(

I could see that coming with big feckin' bells on it!

And surely MI5 could have taken better care of its burned agents than giving them a few quid and a quick "cheerio"?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is concerned about Harry being too involved and compromised and was probably researching his past history with the Russian woman. That and she's probably a tad jealous too. But I doubt she is 'in on it' .. she was at Thames House when the laptop was stolen anyway. Theres no way Ruth is a traitor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was Ruth, and it looked too thick set to be Sashas mum either.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fantastic episode. So sad this great series is coming to an end ... :(
  • alintonalinton Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Am I imagining it, but was there no credits at the start OR the end of Spooks?

I wanted to see the name of the hot actress playing Erin, but was denied this information!

I know now, of course, but isn't it unusual to have no credits?

A.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's how Spooks has always done it!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    I could see that coming with big feckin' bells on it!

And surely MI5 could have taken better care of its burned agents than giving them a few quid and a quick "cheerio"?

Did seem like a quick whip round in the office lol:D Raided the petty cash.

But poor Tariq. Yes, as soon as he and Callum started to bond, you knew it was the beginning of the end :( Appart from Harry and Ruth (who are being saved til the end IMO) Tariq was the longest serving Spook. The most emotionally involving (Demetri is a god and new girl is hot, but not emotionally involving) So he was going to get it sometime soon.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww, poor Tariq. And it's made even worse that they've gone out of their way to make Calum an utter tool. Rather convenient he died on the same footpath Calum was going for a stroll on. I suppose Tariq could have told the cabbie to give a message to Whitehall, sure it would probably cause confusion, but something would have been better than nothing. Yeah, it was totally Elena Gavrik getting the briefcase I'd reckon.

I'm glad they at least gave some development to Erin's character. They can tick that box off now. Although I did find it stupid writing that Martha Forbes was able to walk back to her place of work and get the USB stick without anybody seeing her, despite her face being plastered on TV. Also surely Mr Gavrik would have had his FSB goons crawling the offer looking at her computer and stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alinton wrote: »
    Am I imagining it, but was there no credits at the start OR the end of Spooks?

I wanted to see the name of the hot actress playing Erin, but was denied this information!

I know now, of course, but isn't it unusual to have no credits?

A.

well Spooks always has opening credits but never any closing ones.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Tariq. :( Though I guess he was next in line to meet his death, having been one of the longer serving ones out of the current bunch. I noticed he got out of the cab without paying the driver, so unless he managed to fumble in his jacket for his wallet, whilst in insufferable pain, then he got a free ride to his pavement deathbed.

I had my suspicions about Callum, and it does seem to be too obvious for him or Elena to be involved, so that leaves me with Ruth. Which, I wouldn't be surprised if it's her.