Have you ever been put on anti depressants?

13»

Comments

• Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get on well with citalopram, I feel better in my inner-self since I've been swallowing them.

the only thing that is very frustrating - is the lack of an erection, and I know it's the anti-deps that are causing it, because I started becoming soft down-south about 2 days after swallowing the medication.

the doctor has reassured me, it's only temporary while swallowing these, and the dysfunction will return.

many men on youtube, are very annoyed on the anti-deppressant videos, a couple of men have even said, their wife has left them, over the fact they cannot get it up.

Guys - if any of you are about to start a family with your wife - DONT go on anti-depressants - you will NOT be able to get it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was was put on Anti Depressants by a doctor who had me believing that the pain I was feeling was in my head. Eventually got a diagnosis and realised the pain was not in my head. During the time I was on them I became more down because I thought I was a hypochondriac, a couple of other issues came to the surface, I saught counselling and sorted my life out. Been healthy and happy and in control for 5+ years now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Citalopram can actually make you more depressed. I remember my Mum being put on them after my father died and she was getting panciky and having dizzy spells. I advised her to come off em right away which she did so she could go about going through the whole grieving process. It was tough for her but it was better than being on meds.

Counselling and having a good family around you helps with depressive periods. If you are a loner and have little or no support you should try local group therapy sessions to realise you are not on your own with these issues, and also helps counter social anxiety.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prozac is my drug of choice. Had two separate sessions on that (both over 20 years ago) and worked like a dream. Put me back on my feet and in control.

I now use Healthspan's 'Happy days' and 'Sweet dreams' herbal remedies on a bit of an ad hoc basis when I remember, so can highly recommend them.

Good luck.
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citalopram can actually make you more depressed.

That's what happened to me, put me in a really bad way. I was at uni at the time so had changed Dr's and he prescribed me Citalopram, month after month I went back saying it wasn't working and that I was feeling worse and he kept increasing the dose.

I ended up taking a few weeks off uni, went home and saw my normal GP, and she put me back on Prozac, in which puts me at a more stable position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel doctors should tell patients about the strong possibility of sexual dysfunction.

the moment a patient is put on anti-deppresants, the doctor must warn the patient IN ADVANCE about the lack of sex drive, as failing to mention it - is really cruel.

thankfully the situation doesn't bother me an awful lot, as I'm single, and dont need to worry about satisfying a partner - but for couples, this is a VERY important matter.

there should also be a strong warning on the box about low sex drive issues - it's not good enough.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    I do feel doctors should tell patients about the strong possibility of sexual dysfunction.

the moment a patient is put on anti-deppresants, the doctor must warn the patient IN ADVANCE about the lack of sex drive, as failing to mention it - is really cruel.

thankfully the situation doesn't bother me an awful lot, as I'm single, and dont need to worry about satisfying a partner - but for couples, this is a VERY important matter.

there should also be a strong warning on the box about low sex drive issues - it's not good enough.

Its always on the notes in the pack. Yes sex is important but not as important as getting well again. Whats the good of a hard penis in a coffin? ;)
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't happen to everyone. ;);)
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never have, although perhaps I should have been. When I was going through a very dark period in my life I was going through two bottles of St Johns Wort and Valerian every week for about four weeks. I was on another planet but managed to carry on at work, and then I started to feel better.

I'm beginning to feel it slipping under the door at the moment with not having a job and what not, but I'm trying not to let it come in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    Its always on the notes in the pack. Yes sex is important but not as important as getting well again. Whats the good of a hard penis in a coffin? ;)

Yeah but a tiny small statement in the leaflet, so small you need a magnifine glass is simply not good enough.

there have been a couple of cases (ultra-rare I must admit) where the man's drive had never returned after being on anti-deps - and this can be life destroying.

I belive women can get low sex drives aswell on these drugs - but apparently men seem to get it worse, it really effects their percy plonkers.

all I'm saying is - with other drugs, doctors are so quick to point out : 'you mustn't drink alcohol on these' - but their not so eager to point out sexual dysfunction are they??
    Forum Member
    Yeah but a tiny small statement in the leaflet, so small you need a magnifine glass is simply not good enough.

there have been a couple of cases (ultra-rare I must admit) where the man's drive had never returned after being on anti-deps - and this can be life destroying.

I belive women can get low sex drives aswell on these drugs - but apparently men seem to get it worse, it really effects their percy plonkers.

all I'm saying is - with other drugs, doctors are so quick to point out : 'you mustn't drink alcohol on these' - but their not so eager to point out sexual dysfunction are they??

Most people know about it and most Drs would tell, you about it. Yes it does affect women too and just as much as men but women dont have to get anything hard to have sex

Alcohol can kill you or make you very ill or sleepy on some drugs , not having sex isnt going to harm anyone for a while is it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    kizzie wrote: »
    Most people know about it and most Drs would tell, you about it. Yes it does affect women too and just as much as men but women dont have to get anything hard to have sex

Alcohol can kill you or make you very ill or sleepy on some drugs , not having sex isnt going to harm anyone for a while is it.

I have to disagree, making love brings you closer to your partner. It is also great exercise and fosters the release of endorphins which will heighten your mood. This all contributes to the healing of the mental processes that are making you depressed.

My advice is to add more spice and excitement to the lovemaking. Tap into each others fantasies and this may help the dysfunction.

Have you ever thought it was the actual illness rather than the medication causing the issue here? Be patient and your libido will return with a vengeance I am sure. Mine did!!
    Forum Member
    I have to disagree, making love brings you closer to your partner. It is also great exercise and fosters the release of endorphins which will heighten your mood. This all contributes to the healing of the mental processes that are making you depressed.

My advice is to add more spice and excitement to the lovemaking. Tap into each others fantasies and this may help the dysfunction.

Have you ever thought it was the actual illness rather than the medication causing the issue here? Be patient and your libido will return with a vengeance I am sure. Mine did!!

So do hugs and kisses and no its definitely the pills. Some make it go completely in a day, thought and function. , some let you still feel you want sex but you just cant, some it will take a week or so and then come back.. all pills and people are different.
  • Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My G.P continually advised me to begin a short course of anti-depressants a few years ago when i was going through a period of one crisis after another. I kept refusing to take his advice or his prescription and i ended up being taken to a psychiatric ward very late one night by the police when i finally flipped.
    It was then that i began to see sense and started the short course of anti-depressants which lasted 6 months.
    I can honestly say that i regret not taking my G.P's initial advice and taking the prescription.
    They don't solve your problems obviously, but they do make your mind clearer to deal with them.
    The sexual side effects was not an issue as due to the problems, i wanted to kill rather than kiss..lol.