Options

Please tell me that it's a twitter hoax - Komla Dumor is apparently dead

Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
Forum Member
:o Such a shock and a really talented and in some ways (more than one!) an inspiration.

Very talented broadcaster.

Comments

• Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Who??????????
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    ukbadge wrote: »
    Who??????????
    BBC World News journalist and presenter.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    ukbadge wrote: »
    Who??????????

Indeed. Who?????
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes seem him at 5am in the morning on the graveyard shift only 41 wouldn't have guessed that.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been confirmed on BBC News, only 41.

RIP Kolma, condolences to all family and friends. :(
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think this sort of person would be at the centre of a Twitter hoax, come on.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of him
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen Komla occasionally on the news channel (he was more often on BBC World) I honestly think he would have gone on to great things.

Despite the size of the BBC they have never ever produced someone of the stature of Sir Trevor McDonald, but I honestly think over the next 25 years he would have done that. The Beeb were gently bringing him along on BBC World- I can imagine the next step would have been our domestic news channel, and then national bulletins.

Don't understand why, on a condolence thread, people feel the urge to post they have never heard of him.

BBC is a big place- with many outlets- so, unless you follow closely you might not know him.

But he would have risen to the top. He had an on air presence you can't teach.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that some of you don't mean to be crass and disrespectful .... BUT!!!
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him on BBC News a couple of times, usually overnight. Sorry to hear he's passed away.

I remember when he did a daytime shift and there was a thread on here complaining about an "American" presenting the BBC News!
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw Lyse Doucet paying tribute to him on BBC World News. Very shocked. He may not have been well known to UK viewers but he was destined for much bigger things. 41 is a very young age to go.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he would have risen to the top. He had an on air presence you can't teach.

Absolutely. Such sad news. I heard him often on BBC World Service radio, where his deep voice was so distinctive and authoritative.
  • Options
    tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. As mentioned above there is no doubt that Komla would have gone on to become a leading figure at BBC News. A sad loss and thoughts with his family and those who were close to him at this difficult time.
  • Options
    brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://twitter.com/BBCkomladumor

his twiiter is still going and will be taken over by someone else soon
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand why, on a condolence thread, people feel the urge to post they have never heard of him.

Just the same as people go overboard with (false) grief and emotion for someone the see on a tv screen!
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Sad news indeed. I guess not as well known here in the UK but a prominent presenter of BBC World News channel.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems in Africa he was a well know presenter.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many here won't have heard of him as they don't ever see BBC World News but he was a prominent presenter in their lineup and very passionate about Africa. Ironically although BBC World News isn't really something people associate with here in the UK, overseas it has huge ratings getting 200-300 million.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, genuinely shocked, Komla was only 41.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Late night bbc news presenter Adnan Nawaz just broke down a bit live on TV and had to apologise. Made. Me sad having to see him read out about the death of a friend.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the same as people go overboard with (false) grief and emotion for someone the see on a tv screen!

HOW DARE YOU.

Not false grief.

When someone dies young, with their talent not fully realised that is a REAL, GENUINE shock to the system.
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late night bbc news presenter Adnan Nawaz just broke down a bit live on TV and had to apologise. Made. Me sad having to see him read out about the death of a friend.

When this sad news was briefly covered in a BBC1 news bulletin last night, Kate Silverton's voice was quivering slightly and she didn't appear to quite be in full control for a few seconds, when proceeding on to the next news story.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HOW DARE YOU.

Not false grief.

When someone dies young, with their talent not fully realised that is a REAL, GENUINE shock to the system.

With an attitude like that - how do you get through the day ?