Options

5 Billion years left to live

Comments

• Options
    The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    You've just said that, at most, I only have 5 billion more years left to live! :o I don't call that light-hearted ! God knows what the wife'll say when I tell 'er. :(

(Irenes, I like it :D. To be fair, that's much nicer than what we call you lot. I feel bad now. :blush:)

This forum has rules. You think all our names for bottom feeders can be spoken aloud??

btw. Irene was the name of Paul Trollopes dog.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Sol 93 million miles :)

Proxima Centauri 4.24 light years
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri

Yeah, not sure how that billion slipped in there. Regardless, it's a f*cking long way.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I've just set a reminder on my phone so hopefully I won't miss it
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Computers will have become so powerful we'll be able to upload or at least recreate our 'minds' and travel from world to world by a kind of internet, replicating the tech and sending it further each time. Much more practical than chugging lots of difficult to sustain life forms millions of miles. If we encounter a world with suitable conditions, we could create DNA and kick start life all over again there, if we were still bothered.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was in The Metro last year. A quick guide to the end of the world (and the beginning)

http://www.cosmonline.co.uk/blog/2012/06/24/life-earth-final-act-sorry-guys-we%E2%80%99ve-missed-most-show
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....meanwhile more storms tomorrow ......

...... people like frank tipler and freeman dyson have interesting ideas about existing beyond the heat death of the universe .....
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the human race will make it past the next few hundred years.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »
    I doubt the human race will make it past the next few hundred years.

Based on?
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Based on?

Based on me being pessimistic >:( Any news bulletin will show people fighting each other, violence, famine, death disease etc. the human race consumes vast amounts of earths resources so it needs to either stop expanding or change its consumption levels.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Earth only has about 1 billion years left as an habitable planet for humans anyway. It will be a charred cinder long before the inevitable final explosion of the Sun.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    The Earth only has about 1 billion years left as an habitable planet for humans anyway.

Knock a few zeros off that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »
    Based on me being pessimistic >:( Any news bulletin will show people fighting each other, violence, famine, death disease etc. the human race consumes vast amounts of earths resources so it needs to either stop expanding or change its consumption levels.

Humans have always fought each other- we've had the nuke since the 40's, and yet we're all still here. Fact is, we are living in a relatively stable period.

Stop being pessimistic, history shows us, humans, even with all their potential barbarity, are in all probability here for a good long while yet, and I do like to think the world is slowly becoming more civilised and progressive, even if that process is not always linear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

No, if the solar luminosity carries on increasing at it's current levels then in 1 billion years it'll reach a level 10% higher than today's values which will raise the average surface temperature of the planet to somewhere around the 47°C-50°C mark. That's after the oceans have boiled away into the atmosphere creating a run-away greenhouse effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're wrong, Earth has at least a billion years habitability left. Scientists currently estimate it to be around 1.75 billion years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is becoming less and less planet to live on as the world population continues to grow. Which in turn leads to less resources.

There is so much wrong with the planet already another 100-200 years and i think we'll have killed each other to the extent where only a few million live sparsely.

That is unless the Pigeon Flu wipes us out next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    There is becoming less and less planet to live on as the world population continues to grow. Which in turn leads to less resources.

There is so much wrong with the planet already another 100-200 years and i think we'll have killed each other to the extent where only a few million live sparsely.

That is unless the Pigeon Flu wipes us out next year.

You mean like all the other flu's and catastrophes the media scaremonger us into believing will wipe us out, and end up being nothing more than a flash in the pan? :p

I've no idea why you think we'd suddenly die out in 200 years either. Over population will not wipe out the human race, it'll just make things more difficult for the people living on it, up until the point we end up having to make more effective use of the space we have.

In the absolute worst case scenario, and I'm talking extremely severe over-population, I'm guessing measures will be taken to prevent further population growth, sort of like Chinas one child per family policy. Over population is a sign humans are doing a little too well, if anything.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    :eek: Is there anything we should doing like panic-buying bread or shares in Justin Bieber?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're wrong, Earth has at least a billion years habitability left. Scientists currently estimate it to be around 1.75 billion years.
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    No, if the solar luminosity carries on increasing at it's current levels then in 1 billion years it'll reach a level 10% higher than today's values which will raise the average surface temperature of the planet to somewhere around the 47°C-50°C mark. That's after the oceans have boiled away into the atmosphere creating a run-away greenhouse effect.

Do you two really think that human life will still be sustainable on Earth in a billion years. The way we are treating and exploiting the planet so far, I'd be surprised if we are still here in 10,000 years time, let alone a billion years. Also, there is almost certainly going to be an ELE in the next billion years, such as a huge asteroid hitting earth.

I've heard of optimism and then there is this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you two really think that human life will still be sustainable on Earth in a billion years. The way we are treating and exploiting the planet so far, I'd be surprised if we are still here in 10,000 years time, let alone a billion years. Also, there is almost certainly going to be an ELE in the next billion years, such as a huge asteroid hitting earth.

NX-74205 was talking about the Earth as a hypothetical habitable planet, a concept which is clearly lost on you.

You can speculate on an inordinately large time frame if you wish, but at least recognise that is all it is.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the other day that at some point the Sun will explode & life as we know it will cease to be. There will be nothing.

So i googled it just to put my mind at rest & we've only got roughly 5 billion years left :( As my mum would say before a holiday. It'll come around before you know it!

Fast forward 4.999 Billion years.

How do you solve a problem like the end of the world?

You could join my countdown thread.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 was talking about the Earth as a hypothetical habitable planet, a concept which is clearly lost on you.

You can speculate on an inordinately large time frame if you wish, but at least recognise that is all it is.

He was talking from a human perspective.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=71337632#post71337632

Yes, but not for humans IMO (but we'll probably take out most of the rest of life on Earth when we go under), as was explained earlier.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the other day that at some point the Sun will explode & life as we know it will cease to be. There will be nothing.

So i googled it just to put my mind at rest & we've only got roughly 5 billion years left :( As my mum would say before a holiday. It'll come around before you know it!

Fast forward 4.999 Billion years.

How do you solve a problem like the end of the world?

Please

By then, warp speed and transporters would have been invented

The Federation will stretch across the galaxy

Who needs Earth, when you can live in Risa, the pleasure planet?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww crap

i've just booked a bloody holiday then too!!!
    :D
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Yes, but the underlying physics and distances involved are rather different.

It's 4.3 billion light years to the next closest star. That's a rather different proposition than transatlantic flight.

It only seems impossible because we currently don't know of a way to travel faster than the speed of light. A man from the past whose fastest known form of transport was horse wouldn't believe us if we told him that we have the ability now to travel faster than the speed of sound. I think faster than light travel is possible but we just don't know how to manage it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you incapable of understanding what I posted? No, I don't think that Earth could sustain Human life in a billion years, go and read my previous posts again! Or, if you're having trouble understanding such a simple concept, do you want me to explain it in even simpler terms?