Options

Internet slow to start, works fine........

Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...for 15 minutes then pages take an age to load - and sometimes do not load at all. I have a Windows 8 operating system and a Google Chrome search facility. Unfortunately, this is becoming a constant theme and is frustrating. The only recent changes to the laptop is the addition of Avast. Any ideas please (assuming I have given you enough to go on!). Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google Chrome is a web browser, Google is a search engine (amongst other things).

Have you tried another browser? You will have a flavour of Internet Explorer at the very least that you can try. That will tell you if the problem is confined to Chrome or affects every browser.

Oh and when you installed Avast did you uninstall or disable whatever AV you had previously? It is not recommended to run two AV programs in the background on Windows at the same time. They tend not to get on very well with each other.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...for 15 minutes then pages take an age to load - and sometimes do not load at all. I have a Windows 8 operating system and a Google Chrome search facility. Unfortunately, this is becoming a constant theme and is frustrating. The only recent changes to the laptop is the addition of Avast. Any ideas please (assuming I have given you enough to go on!). Cheers.

Desktop or laptop?
    If laptop, are you running on mains or battery?

Do you have any other devices that share the same Internet connection e.g. phones or tablet? Do they go slow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laptop. My ipad has also been slow (the laptop and tablet are never on at the same time) has been slow also. I will check for competing AVs and, in the interim, uninstall Chrome and replace it with IE. Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laptop. My ipad has also been slow (the laptop and tablet are never on at the same time) has been slow also. I will check for competing AVs and, in the interim, uninstall Chrome and replace it with IE. Thanks for responding.

No need to uninstall Chrome. And IE will be lurking somewhere on your hard drive already.

You simply need to run IE instead of Chrome and try that for a spot of web browsing. just long enough to see whether it has the same problems as Chrome or whether it is fault free.

Then you can go back to Chrome if you want if using IE makes no difference.

I suspect that if both the laptop and the iPad are slow that it is nothing to do with Chrome but some external factor.

I presume you are using WiFi on both devices? So the first thing to do is find yourself an ethernet cable and plug the laptop directly into the router, turning off WiFi on the laptop. Then try web browsing for a while.

If that speeds things up consistently then you have an issue with WiFi. Most probably interference on whatever channel you use.

If however the internet experience is just as bad that may indicate a line fault. Very often you can here crackles on the phone if the line is dodgy.

So give those tests a try and report back :)
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This appears to be an on-going problem and the solution may be either with the ADSL connection/router or with malware on the laptop
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777950&highlight=sideburns57
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1965573&highlight=sideburns57
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Did not realise I have bored the public with so many threads! I have taken out competing AVs and things seem to work a little better. The ethernet cable seemed a little loose but that is secure now. Touching the proverbial wood, things are on the up. Thanks all.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if I caused any offence by liking to your previous posts but it's as well to know what has happened in the past in case it has any bearing on what's been happening recently.
    As you say things seem to be on the up and will continue that way - remember that if you have a problem chances are that someone else has had it as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely no offence taken, mac2708. On the contrary, perhaps I should search for my own threads before starting others! Cheers.