Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

Comments

• woolybullywoolybully Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Just saw this last night and can honestly say it's the best film I've seen in a very long time. If you see just one film this year make it this one. Brilliant.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolybully wrote: »
    Just saw this last night and can honestly say it's the best film I've seen in a very long time. If you see just one film this year make it this one. Brilliant.

Did you see it in 2D or 3D? Cannot wait for it to come out on bluray?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started well , the CGI is excellent , especially considering the huge amount and that it's natural/animal etc. , but the story was tedious .

got pretty bored after about an hour , the characters are mostly bland and cliche , Ceasar was very dull , endless reaction shots of him looking grumpy/serious .

the mad ape Koba was pretty good tho , brilliant CG and animation on him .

the last one was much better .

one thing surprised me tho - it's in 1.85 , the last one was 2.35 , usually in a series they stick with the same aspect ratio . altho I've noticed that more and more 3D movies are in 1.85 .

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    absolutely brilliant. story was great and so was the cgi.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started well , the CGI is excellent , especially considering the huge amount and that it's natural/animal etc. , but the story was tedious .

got pretty bored after about an hour , the characters are mostly bland and cliche , Ceasar was very dull , endless reaction shots of him looking grumpy/serious .

the mad ape Koba was pretty good tho , brilliant CG and animation on him .

the last one was much better .

one thing surprised me tho - it's in 1.85 , the last one was 2.35 , usually in a series they stick with the same aspect ratio . altho I've noticed that more and more 3D movies are in 1.85 .

I watched Dawn last night and, although the CGI was stunning, I was also left disappointed by the trite plot and one dimensional characters. Gets 6/10 from me, compared to 8/10 for Rise.

The narrower 1.85 screen ratio does seem to have become the standard for 3D films since Avatar, works well on large screens and at an IMAX but not so good when I'm sat near the wall of the pokey little auditorium at my local multiplex!

PS: I've noticed that other forums have added voting polls to movie threads so people can give their ratings, has this been tried on DS in the past?
  • woolybullywoolybully Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Did you see it in 2D or 3D? Cannot wait for it to come out on bluray?

I saw it in 3D which is very good by the way.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolybully wrote: »
    I saw it in 3D which is very good by the way.

I saw it in 3D too although I wasn't blown away by it but I was looking more at how amazing the cgi was. Might be different when 3D bluray comes out.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was almost expecting:
    The military outpost, or whatever it was they claimed to have contacted, to actually be more apes with weapons. Gary Oldman's "backup" would arrive, and it would all go even more tits up for him.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Super Frog wrote: »
    I was almost expecting:
    The military outpost, or whatever it was they claimed to have contacted, to actually be more apes with weapons. Gary Oldman's "backup" would arrive, and it would all go even more tits up for him.

Oh I like that :)
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    do u have to have watched the others in the series to "get" this?
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was almost expecting:

That would've been a surprising turn of events!
    considering how incredulous Dreyfus was when he first heard that the apes could talk I can only imagine his reaction at the sight of them piloting military helicopters :D
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    do u have to have watched the others in the series to "get" this?

Definitely the 2011 movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes, as it provides the back story for many of the main characters in Dawn.

Watching the original 1968 movie which launched the franchise would also be advisable but I'm sure a lot of cinemagoers won't have seen it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went to see this this morning and thought it was excellent. far better than the first one i thought.

story was well paced and you actually cared what happened to some of the characters as well.

definitely one of the better films i've seen this year.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this on Friday.

Much more action than Rise, but I think Rise is the better film.

Still very enjoyable, though, and the mo-cap and SFX were amazing.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^agreed. It was a worthy sequel IMO, but not a superior one.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    SUrprised the military just left them in the woods in san francisco for ten years without rounding them up, or at least trying to. I know they had a virus to deal with as well but still........i loved it. Cant beat the original 1968 but this is a worthy predecessor
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I saw this on Friday.

Much more action than Rise, but I think Rise is the better film.

Still very enjoyable, though, and the mo-cap and SFX were amazing.
    agree with all the above. watched Rise on tv on friday and went to see Dawn in 3d yesterday. didn't realy feel it needed the 3d although the effect were very good. Felt it a little drawn out, both good but Rise far superior
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this today and loved it. Best film I've seen in a while. 8/10. I loved the bit with the bear.
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Seen a clip of this in the pictures.Total crap.The old tv series Planet of the Apes with Roddy McDowall was great.Not this flop.No decent actor would take anything to do with it.Some actors don't care about there career.Some just say yes to everythingGreedy weeds.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moviesman wrote: »
    Seen a clip of this in the pictures.Total crap.The old tv series Planet of the Apes with Roddy McDowall was great.Not this flop.No decent actor would take anything to do with it.Some actors don't care about there career.Some just say yes to everythingGreedy weeds.

How is this a flop, especially with the rave reviews from critics and users on this thread?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

From a clip you got that?, what masterpiece were you seeing when the clip came on?
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, no.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred this to the first film. The first half of the first film was mostly people being stupid, Caesar as a child, and not a lot of plot. It only became interesting when Caesar got with the other apes. I felt this was more interesting from the start, with its look at ape culture and the two groups clashing.
    solenoid wrote: »
    I hope the monkies win.
    There were some great scenes in the second half, but for me the lack of moral absolutes made it harder to enjoy them in a child-like way. I wanted both sides to win.
    I'll echo the 3D comments. Not worth it as there is very little decent 3D in use
    On the other hand, the 3D doesn't spoil the film, either. It doesn't poke you in the eye occasionally, like (eg) Avatar did. It just makes the film a bit more vivid. With good 3D you shouldn't notice it's there.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,465
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    With good 3D you shouldn't notice it's there.

Doesn't that render it pointless?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very, very good film. Far superior than 'Rise'.

Don't understand the boring and dull comments regarding the first half of the movie. I was completely engrossed watching ape-life and the CGI is stunning. Hands down one of the best i've seen. Ceasar, Koba, Maurice, Blue Eyes were all brilliantly portrayed and realised. This truly deserves an Oscar for visual effects works.

When the humans came into play in the 2nd half it became even more enjoyable and the action set pieces were terrific. Was surprised at how little Gary Oldman featured and Jason Clarke, Keri Russell and Kodi Smit-Mcphee made a great family unit. There were some great funny scenes with Koba where i properly laughed and you knew the end was always going to be Ceasar v Koba. Great ending with the eyes.

Not my favourite summer film but it's nice to see an intelligent summer blockbuster for once.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was almost expecting:

Now that would have redeemed an otherwise pretty god awful film.

Apart form the admittedly good CGI (not all though I thought the baby was terrible) it was an utter chore to sit through and I begrudge paying nearly £20 for two of us to be bored ridged for 2 hours.

I really enjoyed the first film, and the original version of this film (Battle For) is actually my favourite of the original series so I did have high hopes. But the characters were bland, one dimensional cliches and the plot tired, obvious and dull.

While I wasn't expecting huge scientific accuracy after the first film where they got genetic and in-vitro transmission mixed up, I found the casual disregard of any kind of accuracy jarring at times. I was thinking more about how the hell the kept the horses so healthy & well groomed and how they got the bridle on them than about the plot at times. The virus has obviously not just increased the apes intelligence enough to be experts in equine husbandry (though not enough to realise that humans are apes too, or that sign language is useless for anyone sitting behind you) and gave them speech but has eradicated their natural behaviours such as social grooming and made them walk on two legs - something that is very unnatural to Chimps etc. And obviously no-one on the production team has seen a Chimp ride a horse before.

I'm not sure the rest of a rather crowed cinema were particularly impressed either. There was a lot of laughing at inappropriate times and there was even a bit of a cheer
    when Oldman blew up the tower. With some audible groans when the chimps didn't all die

All in all, it was trying to be too clever by half and ended up dumb. It almost made me want to give a chimp a cigarette & stick electrodes in its brains.

But still not as bad as the Kellen Lutz Hercules.