JSA Query

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
i'm looking for some advice

I'd put this in the job seekers support thread but it didn't seem right putting it there

I've recently left university due to problems i had and i'm looking to find a job but whilst i'm finding a job i'm wanting to go on Jobseekers Allowance to get some money to help pay for ongoing expenses

How long do i have to wait until I can apply?

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I looked on there beforehand but it didn't give me an answer so i thought i'd ask for advice
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    just apply, if you can`t get owt they`ll let you know, and if you can you won`t have missed out on some.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just apply, if you can`t get owt they`ll let you know, and if you can you won`t have missed out on some.

I'll look like an idiot if i apply when i'm not eligible

I was kinda looking to see if someone has been in a similar situation
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

of course you won`t. phone them and ask if you`re embarrassed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

trust me you wont , and you will find out why when you try and claim , i bet you could look at the info twice and get 2 different answers , get applying and as said above if you get something then all the good :)
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    No one on these forums could adviise you without knowing your financial situation. ie asking the same questions as the DSS. So you might as well just apply. Best to get the real answer from the DSS instead of just someone here's educated guess.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can apply online at www.direct.gov.uk, put in all your details, then someone phones you to arrange an appointment to go in and provide your ID and get your claim going.

Trust me, compared to some situations no-one is going to think of you as an idiot even if you cannot claim. They've all seen much worse and many people would say I'm sure they wish they only had your concern to worry about - you have no worries.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you really think that, you must presume that everyone who applies gets what they apply for. Which isn't anything like true

Apply. If you get turned down you get turned down. If you are eligible you'll get what you're eligible for - no question of looking like an idiot at all..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The basic criteria is that you're available for work - that is fit, able, and not having a job where you work 16 hours or more. Also you can't have more than 16 grand for the income based JSA, while having 6 grand will affect what you can get. As far as I know the fact you left Uni voluntarily will have no bearing on your claim. If you leave a job it does - I believe then the wait is 6 weeks but I might be wrong. Also if you are living with a partner who works 25 hours or more a week you can't claim income based JSA then either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I voluntarily left my job and had no issues singing on - although I did wait 3 months out of choice.

I'd never sign on again unless I got desperate, though. Horrible place...
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you had your student loan it may effect the claim
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    i'm looking for some advice

I'd put this in the job seekers support thread but it didn't seem right putting it there

I've recently left university due to problems i had and i'm looking to find a job but whilst i'm finding a job i'm wanting to go on Jobseekers Allowance to get some money to help pay for ongoing expenses

How long do i have to wait until I can apply?

Thanks a lot in advance

3 years