when did the first DVD recorders

arrive on the scene

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first DVD player was a Pioneer, 515 (R1/R2)

first prerecorded dvd: Godzilla.

Circa 1998.

Picture and sound, fantastic.

first dvd recorder, a Goodmans I think (+ format only i think). Didnt last very long - about 18months. First dvd recorder to have freeview built in. Recordable dvd never really broke the mould in the same way prerecorded dvd did. I guess it was mostly due to the arrival of various PVRs without dvd burners that pushed the market that way (with a lot of help from Sky+).
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    In my home town there was nobody selling DVD at all. This was very early 1998. Then the owner of a small home run 'cash converters' type shop became a passionate DVD stockist. He converted one wall to DVD discs and the two or three players available. Being one for non-mainstream technology I was excited about the new tech so bought a Toshiba machine (had a pop out volome control on the left hand side) and a disc to watch. Back then there were around 20 titles to choose from (mostly the cardboard sleeved universal titles) and they were all £20. My first disc was 'The Getaway' with Steve McQueen followed by Godzilla. I was very impressed by the system but it proved to be a very slow seller and he closed down shortly after investing in the system. The Toshiba had a pan and scan glitch that made all films play the laft part of the picture only.

The first recorders were not very tempting due to the massive cost but I got mine in 2005 when it was mantured technology. That was a Panasonic with a 250 GB hard drive - still used today.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The term "pre-recorded DVD" isn't really right as apart from a very few short runs DVDs are pressed not recorded - saying "pre-recorded DVD" is a bit like saying "pre-recorded vinyl disk". I haven't heard it before but presumably it comes from "pre-recorded VCR tapes" which would be okay. More accurate would be to say "DVD" and "recordable DVD" to make the distinction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Can't remember the model, but it was a Pioneer US model bought at the end of 1997/beginning of 1998. It cost me £800 at the time and was multi-region.

A year or two later I then bought a UK sourced Pioneer 737 that was champagne gold in colour, and also multiregion and cost £799.

Next up was a Pioneer DVR3100S DVD recorder which is still doing well at my brother's, although it now only works with fully 2x certified Verbatim discs.

Today, it's the PS3 for BluRay and DVD in the livingroom, with a Liteon DVD/HDD recorder that is only used to play my US discs because it's multiregion. The HDD section isn't used at all and I haven't used it as a DVD recorder in two or three years. My mum also gave me a Toshiba VHS/DVD recorder because she couldn't get to grips with it, and just wanted a basic DVD player instead so we swapped for a Bush player I never used that was in my bedroom. I think the Toshiba has been used only once or twice for recording, for that very rare occasion I want to record three things on Freeview and the PVR is tied up already recording two channels.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »

Circa 1998.

Picture and sound, fantastic.

first dvd recorder, a Goodmans I think (+ format only i think). Didnt last very long - about 18months. First dvd recorder to have freeview built in. Recordable dvd never really broke the mould in the same way prerecorded dvd did. I guess it was mostly due to the arrival of various PVRs without dvd burners that pushed the market that way (with a lot of help from Sky+).

I had the 505 model and carried out the DIY multi region mod.

I think my first DVD was Mars Attacks and a few R1 discs that I managed to source
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember going into my local HMV store years ago and them having a Pioneer dvd player for around £700 although i'm not sure which model it was but way out of my fathers price range and I also remember Laser-disc's being on sale. The first dvd player I owned was a Toshiba then I bought a Sony KDL46W4500 and got a free Sony BD player with it then bought a Sony BD home cinema which I had for around 2 years before replacing it with a Panasonic BT200 home cinema which I had for around 2 and a half years before getting a Samsung 3D home cinema along with a Samsung 3D TV. I cant remember what my first dvd was though.
  • Options
    LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member

Circa 1998.

My first disc was the R1 Godzilla as well. My first player was a gold Pioneer 717 (R1-6 VCR friendly) also around 1998.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my frst DVD's might have been

A Bug's Life and Payback.

My first player was a Lecson (£200, I think). Highly rated budget player, at the time.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first one I think might have been the PS2 and the first ones I think I bought were the TNG Season 1 box set at over £80 :eek:
    I now mainly use the PS3 for BD or PC for DVD.
    I also have a RDR-HXD870 for recording stuff.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The term "pre-recorded DVD" isn't really right as apart from a very few short runs DVDs are pressed not recorded - saying "pre-recorded DVD" is a bit like saying "pre-recorded vinyl disk".

Well, if you're really interested in taking things to such pedantic levels, one could reasonably argue that the process of manufacturing both gramophone records and pressed DVDs *does* consist of recording (in the general sense of creating a record of something) the musical or video content on the disc

No, it's not what most people would mean by "recording" in everyday use. But then again, most people wouldn't nitpick the term "pre-recorded DVD" either.

(And it was only *after* I'd thought that up that I realised that the most common name for a vinyl or shellac disc is... a record!)

The reason "pre-recorded vinyl disk" sounds wrong is that (apart from the fact few normally refer to them as "vinyl disks"!) almost all consumer-oriented gramophone records are playback-only (*) so the prefix is redundant.
    More accurate would be to say "DVD" and "recordable DVD" to make the distinction.

No it wouldn't. We were talking about pre-recorded.... er, pre-pressed :rolleyes: DVDs and recordable ones. The term "DVD" encompasses all DVD types and doesn't make the distinction clear at all- it totally blurs it.

Kind of ironic given you were the one nitpicking and harping on about "accuracy". :yawn:

(*) Yes, I'm aware that there were a few "record your own disc" booths and the like circa the mid-20th century.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought R1 Toshiba player in Feb 98 as the multiregion "hack" for the Panasonic A100 had been beaten by several US studios.
    Pioneer 505 in May 98 which offered switchable R1/R2 . Was £550 and notorious for lipsynch issues.

I got the original US dvd of Moonraker before the Bond hiatus in 98 aswell as the extended Dawn of the Dead disc which was still being marketed as the Directors Cut when it was nothing of the kind, and picked them both up from a film fair before I got a player.
    The day I got my player I also bought several discs and the first one I played was Air Force One.

MVC were selling R2 discs for £20+ from Columbia and Polygram but much of Hollywood was still not releasing dvd in the UK , like Disney and Fox.

The following year Play arrived and the R1 market exploded as their cheap Canadian imports slowly started killing off companies that had previously supplied Laserdiscs like The Disc Emporium and Laser Enterprises.
    This was in the days when you rang them up to place your order and there was no website at that point.

Although dvd recorders were around in 2000/2001 for £1000 it took Philips price drop to £500 in 2002 to kick start that market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Well, if you're really interested in taking things to such pedantic levels, one could reasonably argue that the process of manufacturing both gramophone records and pressed DVDs *does* consist of recording (in the general sense of creating a record of something) the musical or video content on the disc

No, it's not what most people would mean by "recording" in everyday use. But then again, most people wouldn't nitpick the term "pre-recorded DVD" either.

(And it was only *after* I'd thought that up that I realised that the most common name for a vinyl or shellac disc is... a record!)

The reason "pre-recorded vinyl disk" sounds wrong is that (apart from the fact few normally refer to them as "vinyl disks"!) almost all consumer-oriented gramophone records are playback-only (*) so the prefix is redundant.

No it wouldn't. We were talking about pre-recorded.... er, pre-pressed :rolleyes: DVDs and recordable ones. The term "DVD" encompasses all DVD types and doesn't make the distinction clear at all- it totally blurs it.

Kind of ironic given you were the one nitpicking and harping on about "accuracy". :yawn:

(*) Yes, I'm aware that there were a few "record your own disc" booths and the like circa the mid-20th century.

Wow! Someone has too much time on their hands.:D

Back in the real world if I go into a shop and want to buy a film I'll ask for the DVDs and if I want some recording media I'll ask for the recordable DVDs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    In the late 90's,I was working for Blockbuster Video, so remember the lauch of DVD very well. We only had about 20 or 30 titles initially, and you could rent out a Toshiba player if you left your credit card details, presumably so we could charge them if they ran off with it! I remember customers moaning that the films were all in widescreen, and so had to watch letter box style, and the people who rented one thinking it was a video,only to get home and not know what to do with it ("do you need a special adaptor to play these discs on a vhs player?"):D
    After about a year they decded to stop renting out the players, so sold them off to the staff for £100. I bought one, still got it, still going strong, made like a tank unlike my sharp Blu ray which died last week after 3 years! When the apocalypse comes, that DVD player will be all thats left for the cockroaches to watch movies on!
  • Options
    Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuartjk

thanks for
    can you confirm that one of the first to be available for rental was Godzilla
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Stuartjk

thanks for
    can you confirm that one of the first to be available for rental was Godzilla

Think it might have been, but as I remember it was mostly back catalogue (Bullitt, Blade Runnner, a lot of Warner Bros films in the horrible cardboard/plastic packaging) Face/off and Goldeneye were among the first DVDs I watched. Have still got Blade Runner and 12 Monkeys, bought ex rental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Someone has too much time on their hands.:D

Says the person who *started* this by nitpicking the casual use of the expression "pre-recorded DVDs". :yawn:
    Back in the real world

Uh huh... nice backpedalling. I like the way you're clumsily trying to reframe this argument with *you* as the "regular guy" arguing against the pedantic out-of-touch nerd.

Unfortunately, the thread on record doesn't support this picture. :p

Frankly, if you want to be pedantic and go on about "accuracy" you'd better be *damn* sure that your argument is watertight to your own implied standards. Your half-baked geek ramblings weren't, so I felt quite entitled to pick holes in them. :D
    if I go into a shop and want to buy a film I'll ask for the DVDs and if I want some recording media I'll ask for the recordable DVDs.

They might understand what you wanted, depends on the shop.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not "more accurate" at distinguishing the two, but less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Says the person who *started* this by nitpicking the casual use of the expression "pre-recorded DVDs". :yawn:

I just pointed out the term wasn't really correct, nothing more than that. You for some reason then became obsessed and took it to a whole new level writing a long rambling post. I have nothing more to say on the subject, it really isn't that important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You for some reason then became obsessed

Not really, just having a bit of fun at the expense of some rather silly nitpicking by pointing out that if one *really* wants to get that pedantic, then what you were saying didn't stand up.

Then you lectured us all on the more "accurate" terms to distinguish pre-recorded and blank DVDs- which were nothing of the sort. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those posters with original Pioneer dvd players (my one was a 515), did any of you suffer from the lip sync issues as reported soon(ish) after launch (and after i boought one). I was lucky, i didnt.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first DVD player was a ALBA DVD 113 from 2002 which I recall paying around £150 for with the first film Amelie which was on offer in Tesco for £14.99 which was cheap at the time.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    those posters with original Pioneer dvd players (my one was a 515), did any of you suffer from the lip sync issues as reported soon(ish) after launch (and after i boought one). I was lucky, i didnt.

Yep my 505 did, if I recall the player had voice a couple of frames out from the picture and if the DVD disk had the same problem it was then noticable for the viewer.

I think the issue was resolved in the 515.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I don't remember the model number of my first player, as it was an American imported model that was modified for multiregion. I don't remember it suffering lip sync issues though.

The 737 I then replaced it with certainly didn't suffer lip sync issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 505 I had certainly had issues but only with some discs .
    Someone else said it was sorted for the 515 but it wasn't.

Pioneer had done something and it definitely wasn't as bad as the 505 but I took several of the discs that had lipsynch problems to Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and they let me test them out on the Pioneer 515 - problems were still showing up.
    So I got a Panasonic player instead - A360 IIRC.
    I thought it was a bargain at £450 down from £600.
    It had a built in DTS decoder which was handy as my amp didn't support DTS at the time.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memories? How old is the original poster? DVD's haven't been around that long lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Memories? How old is the original poster? DVD's haven't been around that long lol

I've had a dvd player for 14 years so the OP does have a point.