New sony faulty?

Hi all. I have purchased this new sony kdl40nx723bu and am hugely impressed with it. But there is a lighter band that run's vertically up both sides of screen (very faint) about 1/4 of an inch but my eye does get drawn to it. Is this a fault can anyone comment?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Possibly uneven edge lighting, or a reflection from the edge of the panel?.

I can't say I've ever noticed it on one, or had any complaints about it.

If I get time I'll see if there's anything in the technical bulletins tomorrow.
  • gazzaboygazzaboy Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Possibly uneven edge lighting, or a reflection from the edge of the panel?.

I can't say I've ever noticed it on one, or had any complaints about it.

If I get time I'll see if there's anything in the technical bulletins tomorrow.

ok thanks. Its on all imputs etc xbox, freeview, hdmi.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    gazzaboy wrote: »
    ok thanks. Its on all imputs etc xbox, freeview, hdmi.

I don't know if it's the same thing?, but technical bulletin 11TV048 dated 23/12/2011 says:
    SYMPTOM
    Light leakage may occur between the glass and the cabinet.
    CAUSE
    The glass may partially peel off due to specific environmental conditions.
    SOLUTION
    Add pieces of blind tape to the panel / glass top.

And carries on to describe exactly what needs doing.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Can you just return it as faulty and get an exchange. Probably the easiest solution.
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Can you just return it as faulty and get an exchange. Probably the easiest solution.

yeah a know just wanted to be sure that there was actually something wrong with it before calling John Lewis.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all. I have purchased this new sony kdl40nx723bu and am hugely impressed with it. But there is a lighter band that run's vertically up both sides of screen (very faint) about 1/4 of an inch but my eye does get drawn to it. Is this a fault can anyone comment?
    Have you tried turning down the LED backlight? This normally solves the problem you are having.
    Forum Member
    Have you tried turning down the LED backlight? This normally solves the problem you are having.

hmm? Tried it, right down to zero .Its there pretty much constant apart from when its really dark it is gone.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm? Tried it, right down to zero .Its there pretty much constant apart from when its really dark it is gone.
    It must be a fault then. What I was thinking of was white shadows that you can get in the top corners but this is more visible on a dark picture. Turning down the LED backlight normally solves the problem but anything below 10 will normally make the picture too dark and unnatural looking.
    Forum Member
    It must be a fault then. What I was thinking of was white shadows that you can get in the top corners but this is more visible on a dark picture. Turning down the LED backlight normally solves the problem but anything below 10 will normally make the picture too dark and unnatural looking.
    Apparently this sound s like the problem.. http://www.avforums.com/forums/hardware-reviews/1522984-sony-nx723-kdl-40nx723-3d-led-lcd-tv-review.html