Options

Have we made a terrible mistake?

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think we'll regret this decision now the EU wants us gone and we are about to take a hit on the economy?

Did we make a terrible mistake?

Comments

• Options
    SC000BYSC000BY Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think we'll regret this decision now the EU wants us gone and we are about to take a hit on the economy?

No! It would have been a mistake to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, when I (as I'm sure many did) put the cross in the box, I knew it was going to cost us for at least a decade.

But in the long run, this is the best possible outcome.
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Depending on what happens in the EU, it could be a big mistake. Or not. I don't think the EU really wants to UK gone, but now the decision has been made they want it done quickly. The idea of waiting til October to start the process isn't going down well.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, when I (as I'm sure many did) put the cross in the box, I knew it was going to cost us for at least a decade.

I agree. This is the best way in the long run.

I think the EU has lost it's way, and I can't help thinking that we have dodged a bullet in the long run.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Yup, I truly believe that we - the UK - have really screwed up big time!

Scotland screwed up when it voted against independence.

I screwed up when I held onto my shares nest-egg in Standard Life, thinking that a remain vote was inevitable.
  • Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU leadership are behaving like we leavers always suspected, arrogant and like spoilt brats, thank God we gave them the finger.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    No. We've had the guts to remind politicians that we are the masters and they are out servants. The UK will prosper outside of the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    B-29 wrote: »
    The EU leadership are behaving like we leavers always suspected, arrogant and like spoilt brats, thank God we gave them the finger.

No, they are looking after the interests of the EU. What did you expect?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I can't stand "wishy washy" Europe.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes.

The End.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't stand "wishy washy" Europe.

The EU isn't being very wishy washy now.:o
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Several reasons why the tired line of "you made your bed, now lie in it" doesn't work:

* The council, which is making the plea, may have a different opinion to the majority

* There are 43% of us who didn't vote to leave the EU

* One of the "promises" or "suggestions", depending on who you ask, is that the UK government would pay for all this stuff, whether it's EU development funding for Cornwall and Wales, or EU research grants, etc. So now it's fair to ask if the UK gov is going to go ahead with this

* Even if 100% of Cornwall wanted to remain, we'd still be leaving the EU, and we'd still be asking this question
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they are looking after the interests of the EU. What did you expect?

They are looking after the political organisation called the EU, whereas they should be, and should always have been, looking after the interests of the citizens of the EU. The working class of the EU are a source of cheap labour and what is in their interests are of no importance to TPB, either in the UK or the EU. That is whey we are now in this situation.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    The UK will prosper outside of the EU.

Not this week we haven't
    When will this prospering start?
  • Options
    tony66tony66 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

very pesimistic...3-4 years at most..but like you belive in the long run we will benefit..i ask people who wish to talk up buyers remorse..to stop it!..the country has spoken, europhiles like vince cable saying maybe the eu will come back to us with a immigration brake? will say and do anything to try to worry and scare people..as a man of the left i worry about tory attacks on the poorest...but if my country votes for that..then thats democracy...its up to labour to win and put it right ..not worry about the eu...that enslaves the poorest in greece for a lifetime.....forward britain..not backwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are looking after the political organisation called the EU, whereas they should be, and should always have been, looking after the interests of the citizens of the EU. The working class of the EU are a source of cheap labour and what is in their interests are of no importance to TPB, either in the UK or the EU. That is whey we are now in this situation.

We are in this situation because the people of Britain voted to leave.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't believe we have made a terrible mistake.

Give everything time to settle.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If brexit is a mistake, then will Frexit also be a mistake? Just seen this one raised as a potential issue on the news - I know people mention <whatever>exit for any country but this one seemed to be more than a casual mention in passing...
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. We've had the guts to remind politicians that we are the masters and they are out servants. The UK will prosper outside of the EU.

I don't understand how.

We are a service economy - we depend a lot on the Financial institutions in London - that will now erode.

There is an international joke that Britain produces very little and what it does produce no-one wants. I don't see how our manufacturing base can grow without huge investment and I don't see where that investment will come from.

... China? Have we really given up on democracies like France and Germany to get into bed with China?? If so .. we will soon learn what it really means to give away our sovereignty.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If brexit is a mistake, then will Frexit also be a mistake? Just seen this one raised as a potential issue on the news - I know people mention <whatever>exit for any country but this one seemed to be more than a casual mention in passing...

How about a Texit?

http://www.vocativ.com/333176/calls-for-texas-independence-surge-in-wake-of-brexit-vote/
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    No. We're getting rid of the supranational neoliberals.

The next stage is to get rid of our own Right wing government.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    There was a post earlier this week that I found very apt.

"We are voting to decide whether we want to be inside, or outside the EU, when it collapses in a few years time"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlargement_of_the_European_Union#Enlargement_agenda
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yep - Boris or Gove as PM, then a few years of ultra right neoliberalism carnage of our own, and after than Corbyn will lead us tot the new Jerusalem of social democracy.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be replaced by an even more right wing UKIP one?