Options

Migrant entrepreneurs are shunning the UK

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.cityam.com/1417024546/migrant-entrepreneurs-are-shunning-uk-we-only-have-ourselves-blame
Our new report, Made in the UK: Unlocking the Door to International Entrepreneurs, conducted with the National Union of Students, shows just how beneficial retaining international talent could be: as many as 42 per cent of current international (non-EU) students intend to set up their own businesses following graduation. But our research also reveals a worrying disconnect between potential and policy: just a third want to found their business in the UK, and just 18 per cent think the processes in place for post-study work in the UK are better than in other countries.
The take-up of the graduate entrepreneur visa has been disappointing and the sentiment expressed by graduates in our survey suggests this won’t change any time soon. Just 2 per cent of respondents who intend to start a business following graduation applied for the UK graduate entrepreneur visa, with almost two thirds (62 per cent) saying they didn't even consider it. In fact, nearly half of respondents don’t know whether their institution is certified to endorse them for the visa.

This is an often overlooked aspect of the immigration debate unfortunately.
Britain has a significant comparative advantage in higher education, with six of the top 20 global universities located here. So in failing to retain the best talent, we are wasting our excellent educational resources. We are training the next generation of international entrepreneurs, only to let them become our global competitors.

We need to change this.

Comments

• Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but we must protect our homogeneous mono-culture.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But our research also reveals a worrying disconnect between potential and policy: just a third want to found their business in the UK, and just 18 per cent think the processes in place for post-study work in the UK are better than in other countries.

The 'Post study work route' has been closed for several years now. Tier 1 deals with entrepreneurs.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Anecdotal I know but a fair few of the people I see creating new websites at Google are not British.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anecdotal I know but a fair few of the people I see creating new websites at Google are not British.

Huh?

Google is American, why do you expect them to be British?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Huh?

Google is American, why do you expect them to be British?

I was not clear - every month I go to Techhub Demo night at the Google Campus near Old Street in London - it is full of people from all over the world creating websites and businesses.

They do it because between the Square Mile, the West End and Shoreditch itself they have access to finance, marketing and technical skills - which is one up on San Francisco where you have the Technical skills but Finance and Marketing companies tend to be in New York.
  • Options
    JAMCJAMC Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    "So in failing to retain the best talent, we are wasting our excellent educational resources. We are training the next generation of international entrepreneurs, only to let them become our global competitors."

We need to change this.

Perhaps the likelihood of the aforementioned entrepreneurs staying in the UK increases significantly if those individuals are resident in the UK to begin with, rather than attracted from a 3rd country. A society which seeks first and foremost to pimp out it's best educational resources to fee-paying international students before maximising the hitherto squandered potential of it's own populace has it's priorities utterly backwards.

International students are, and always have been, an important part of the higher education system in this country - but we should not look to them in the first instance to act as some kind of magic bullet to resolve the economic problems of this country. We need to dig ourselves out of that particular hole.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just another Libertarian viewpoint from CityAM, this time via 'The Entrepreneurs Network', a Libertarian "Think Tank"

We've had more and more of this over the last 20 years and it's been an absolute disaster.

Libertarianism is a great threat to democracy, it seeks to place power in the hands of private business and leaves the public basically helpless to change things. i.e. more of what we've had.
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt seem to bother the garbage ripping people off on Watchdog this evening.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without researching, I can't quote figures for the number of French immigrants to Britain in the recent past but five or six years ago, London was the 7th largest French city with something like 200,000 French either living full time or commuting back and forth, generally at weekends, there was also many thousands in Dublin. Many of them worked either in the City or were running there own businesses due to the unwieldly French start-up and tax system. Many of them were well-educated, often at French business schools. They were and would still be the future for France to the extent that Sarkozy came over to London to woo them into voting for him with the promise he would change the system, something he failed to achieve.