Options

Tony Blair's Save the Children award

13»

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Without the benefit of hindsight would you expect the Prime Minister to lie to Parliament about the reasons for going to war and line his own pockets
    Why did the Lib Dems, ~150 Labour and 15 Tory MPs not believe the lies? They had less information than IDS but were still against the war. Several Cabinet ministers resigned over it and (from memory) 3 shadow ministers resigned.
    However you look at it, the Conservatives under IDS were either gullible fools and didn't do their job properly, or they were in favour of acting like an American poodle. There is no other way of looking at it.
    I know you want to absolve the Conservatives from any blame over the war, but they voted for it. If they hadn't, then the invasion wouldn't have had parliamentary approval. It might still have gone ahead, but we would probably have had a Conservative government in 2005 in that case.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Why did the Lib Dems, ~150 Labour and 15 Tory MPs not believe the lies? They had less information than IDS but were still against the war. Several Cabinet ministers resigned over it and (from memory) 3 shadow ministers resigned.
    However you look at it, the Conservatives under IDS were either gullible fools and didn't do their job properly, or they were in favour of acting like an American poodle. There is no other way of looking at it.
    I know you want to absolve the Conservatives from any blame over the war, but they voted for it. If they hadn't, then the invasion wouldn't have had parliamentary approval. It might still have gone ahead, but we would probably have had a Conservative government in 2005 in that case.

Yes the Conservatives were gullible but I repeat who would expect the PM to lie to Parliament ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes the Conservatives were gullible but I repeat who would expect the PM to lie to Parliament ?
    Doesn't Cameron do it all the time? Didn't Thatcher do it? Does anyone expect a politician to be truthful?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Cameron do it all the time? Didn't Thatcher do it? Does anyone expect a politician to be truthful?

There is a big difference between not telling the whole story and lying Blair lied pure and simple

http://www.answers.com/Q/Is_it_illegal_to_lie_in_the_uk_parliament
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a big difference between not telling the whole story and lying Blair lied pure and simple

http://www.answers.com/Q/Is_it_illegal_to_lie_in_the_uk_parliament

I'm not defending him, but to say he "lied" grossly over simplifies the issue. It has never been proven that he knew the dossier was false and "sexing it up" is nowhere near the same as lying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not defending him, but to say he "lied" grossly over simplifies the issue. It has never been proven that he knew the dossier was false and "sexing it up" is nowhere near the same as lying.

I can't find the link now but there was an article where it was shawn that well before the sexed up dossier and even before the idea of Iraq was public Blair had already committed British troops to supporting Bush in bringing down Saddam , unfortunately we all know that Chilcott will be nothing more than an expensive cover up as its in no ones interest for Blair to face criminal charges
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not defending him, but to say he "lied" grossly over simplifies the issue.
    I'd agree with that - mainly because of some subtle differences between words and intent and more importantly lack of full-on signed-and-sealed proof.
    It has never been proven that he knew the dossier was false and "sexing it up" is nowhere near the same as lying.
    I like this one because it makes me think of the Scots Law 'Not Proven' verdict which is often taken to mean 'trial suspended pending further evidence' (did have something else there but I don't have an army of lawyers...).
    It's very much in the same vein as the declaration that 'no member of the government' made any interference with anything because it was indeed neither an elected representative nor a civil servant nor a representative of any regular part of the administration that might be said to have inadvertently appeared to be suggesting alternative wording might be used in a particular report. Very much the essence of getting off on a technicality.
    Allegedly (TM) :p

Obviously the differences between the plain and 'sexy' versions of said dossier can be identified but the blame seems to have insufficient direct evidence. Apart from the secret service footage which won't ever see the light of day :(
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These awards Blair is suddenly winning out of nowhere make me incredibly suspicious.

I do acknowledge he did good things but the bad things he - and his vile wife - did were so abhorrent, and so damaging to the UK it all makes the good things seem worthless.

Mostly I just hate how he is popping up all over the place again. I feel angry everytime I see a picture of his demonic looking face.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    These awards Blair is suddenly winning out of nowhere make me incredibly suspicious.

I do acknowledge he did good things but the bad things he - and his vile wife - did were so abhorrent, and so damaging to the UK it all makes the good things seem worthless.

Mostly I just hate how he is popping up all over the place again. I feel angry everytime I see a picture of his demonic looking face.

In six months time, there may be a new Labour leader or a EU president.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    These awards Blair is suddenly winning out of nowhere make me incredibly suspicious. ...
    One on its own is an annoyance, more than one sounds like his chums helping to fluff up the CV a bit.

On the re-appearances, it's the complete lack of awareness of any wrongdoing that probably irks the most.