Options

Do you believe man has stepped foot on the moon?

Comments

• Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, for two reasons:

1 - If man hadn't set foot on the moon, how did this get there?
    2 - The Soviet Union would have discovered that America hadn't set foot on the moon.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

I don't usually advocate violence but.....I can make an exception in this case :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I don't usually advocate violence but.....I can make an exception in this case :D

Wasn't he in Texas? Couldn't he have shot the guy?
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum reckons it was all a big trick by those americans. I asked her who put the flag there then and she just said they are good at fooling us.

Well, that's all the evidence anyone should need.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum reckons it was all a big trick by those americans. I asked her who put the flag there then and she just said they are good at fooling us.
    More to the point, why does your mum reckon it was a hoax?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can I convince her it happened then?

To prove her claim all she has to do is show you a single vital aspect of the moon landing programme that was not viable in 1969.
    Here's a bit of a list she can start working through. There's loads more she can have a stab at.
    Inertial navigation.
    Oxygen generation.
    CO2 scrubbing.
    Liquid oxygen/hydrogen rocket engines.
    Hypergolic engines.
    Microcomputers.
    Microwave radio communication.
    Radar.
    Life-supporting space suits.
    Hydrogen fuel cells.
    High resolution optics.
    Ablative shields.

When she obviously can't come close to even casting doubt on a single thing ask her why they didn't bother to do the one thing people have been dreaming of since the birth of mankind when it was all possible.

Please report back on her findings.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why do some people think it's a hoax then?

Because they don't know what they're talking about – without fail, they don't understand the science they are denying.

Here's a site dedicated to refuting apollo hoax claims.
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it happed - anyone who thinks it didn't is a fool. Even the conspiracy theorists on the Strictly Come Dancing forum on here don't believe that one!
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is over five years since I made The Last Moon Hoax Thread Ever
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

Never knew about or seen that before. Thanks, stoatie!

BTW, yes- of course they went up there. We know because they brought back moon-cheese.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Yes I do but im not sure why everyone takes this so personally. I remember this always coming up in the past and nobody really took it too seriously then all of a sudden the last few years its like a taboo or something. Maybe its since stephen fry was openly disparaging on QI about these people everyone thinks its OK to be rude
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Hang on. When stoatie first posted that clip it was a short blurry video and now it's some slick full colour studio production, ...
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Yes I do but im not sure why everyone takes this so personally. I remember this always coming up in the past and nobody really took it too seriously then all of a sudden the last few years its like a taboo or something. Maybe its since stephen fry was openly disparaging on QI about these people everyone thinks its OK to be rude

I think it's the CT fans calling the rational majority 'sheeple' and similar that's made us rude back. Besides, they really are idiots, and to coin a frequently used phrase of that type, we're just telling like it is:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stoatie does not like mentioning his Buzz Aldrin connections. :)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's fine to be rude about people like the idiot who was bugging Buzz. He was the epitome of rudeness himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like bragging but I have met Al Bean.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    But what about the flag fluttering in the breeze when there's no air on the Moon?
    And there are no stars visible in the photographs.
    And the rocks are casting shadows in different directions.
    And the Lunar Module supposedly landed perfectly despite being uncontrollable on Earth.
    And there's lethal radiation in space.
    And there were footprints in the dust despite there being no moisture on the moon to help dust bond together.
    And the LEM left no crater upon landing or stirred up any dust.
    And (most amateurishly of all) there was footage of Neil Armstrong climbing out of the LEM. Who took that footage, eh?

Have I missed any?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    But what about the flag fluttering in the breeze when there's no air on the Moon?
    And there are no stars visible in the photographs.
    And the rocks are casting shadows in different directions.
    And the Lunar Module supposedly landed perfectly despite being uncontrollable on Earth.
    And there's lethal radiation in space.
    And there were footprints in the dust despite there being no moisture on the moon to help dust bond together.
    And the LEM left no crater upon landing or stirred up any dust.
    And (most amateurishly of all) there was footage of Neil Armstrong climbing out of the LEM. Who took that footage, eh?

Have I missed any?

Yes you have. You should have added "I like stirring"!
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

I resent that accusation! I've always been rude about conspiracy theorists...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes you have. You should have added "I like stirring"!

Which is not something you're likely to hear any of the Apollo 13 crew saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is not something you're likely to hear any of the Apollo 13 crew saying.

Oh such intimate knowledge!

Then...."We got a main bus B undervolt"
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes they really should have switched off those high powered fans...what were they thinking having fans in the studio any way, were they left from some movie about being shipwrecked?
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are reflectors on the moon which we point lasers at in order to measure the distance between us and the moon. They could only have been put there by humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was all a massive hoax, why did they then take the risk of repeating it several times? There were six Moon landings and would have been more had it not been for Apollo 13 never getting there and Apollos 18 to 20 being cancelled due to budget cuts.

If it had all been a hoax, surely they would just have done the one mission and hoped nobody ever found out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    If it was all a massive hoax, why did they then take the risk of repeating it several times? There were six Moon landings and would have been more had it not been for Apollo 13 never getting there and Apollos 18 to 20 being cancelled due to budget cuts.

If it had all been a hoax, surely they would just have done the one mission and hoped nobody ever found out

The more fake missions they conducted, the more money there'd be available for the CIA to funnel-off and invest in wacky schemes to assassinate Fidel Castro using exploding cigars etc.