Help: Debt Collection Letter.

2»

Comments

• kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But worth a call to verify its all legit and they have actually passed the debt on.

2 months back we got a visit from some debt collectors but were out so they left a letter, after calling them to find out what it was about they were rude, almost threatening and promised to re visit with a van to remove goods the following day, the debt was an unpaid parking fine from Bromley council from 3 years back which we and the council had come to stalemate on (they had pictures of a car like ours with our number plate, we had stamps on our passports proving we were in Canada at the time of the parking offense) after weeks of phonecalls and letters we thought the case was dropped as the council wouldn't go to court.

Anyway a call to the council to ask why they had started chasing again resulted in a meeting being set up with the debt people and ourselves and the council and police, turned out the "debt collectors" were in fact scammers who had been finding cases like ours through a inside source and chancing their arm on people paying up, the police told us that they had managed 80 grands worth in the last 6 months.

Of course you can call. I would never request anything by telephone though - too many stories of "no we never had contact with Miss X" etc etc.

I'm sure you'll also agree, Parking/council tax fines are a whole different ball game to consumer debts!
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I would strongly recommend going down the 'in writing only' route.

Write to the DCA and tell them you do not acknowledge the debt, and that you require them to produce written proof of the debt and your responsibility for it; and further, that you will only deal with the matter in writing.

I know it feels easier just to ring up and get it sorted but the history of debt suggests that it never works, not once it's got to the debt collection stage anyway.

And btw, on the Statute Barred thing - 1) it's got to be 6 years since you last acknowledged the debt; so if by any word of yours now you imply it is your debt, the SB clock resets to zero; 2) it doesn't stop them chasing you for the debt: you still owe it but they can't enforce it - but it won't stop them trying.
  • SheffieldladSheffieldlad Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I had this from an address in north london.

I have never lived in north london, but they insisted I had

They kept calling, and eventually suggested they had caught me out, when I again stated I had never lived in north london, they then said how do you know it is a north london address if you never lived there.

I ended up paying it off £1200 over 6 months.

Easier than having my credit rating destroyed or some bloke emptying my house in to his van

Idiot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'd make one call to Pipex on the slim offchance they can deal with it over the phone - but wouldn't hold my breath.

After that send a recorded delivery letter to the debt collection agency asking them for concrete proof of the "alleged debt" (use that exact phrase). Without this they'd fail in any county court case - which they'd need to win before they could send the baillifs round.

It sounds very much like they've bought a debt for peanuts with no paperwork, on the brink of becoming statute barred, on the hope that they can frighten you into paying. Stand your ground, they've almost certainly got nothing which would stand the scrutiny of a District Judge, and the chances of them taking you to court are next to nothing.

Remember the golden rules:
    * everything in writing, sent recorded delivery, keep a copy
    * never admit any debt or offer any payment
    * keep it civil and businesslike
    * if they phone, politely but firmly state "in writing only" and hang up

But as others have said, start a thread on CAG and follow their far more expert advice.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    kyresa wrote: »
    6 years for it to be statute barred I'm afraid.

Or 5 years if the OP is in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    Personally I'd make one call to Pipex on the slim offchance they can deal with it over the phone - but wouldn't hold my breath.

After that send a recorded delivery letter to the debt collection agency asking them for concrete proof of the "alleged debt" (use that exact phrase). Without this they'd fail in any county court case - which they'd need to win before they could send the baillifs round.

It sounds very much like they've bought a debt for peanuts with no paperwork, on the brink of becoming statute barred, on the hope that they can frighten you into paying. Stand your ground, they've almost certainly got nothing which would stand the scrutiny of a District Judge, and the chances of them taking you to court are next to nothing.

Remember the golden rules:
    * everything in writing, sent recorded delivery, keep a copy
    * never admit any debt or offer any payment
    * keep it civil and businesslike
    * if they phone, politely but firmly state "in writing only" and hang up

But as others have said, start a thread on CAG and follow their far more expert advice.

That all sounds like good advice, thanks. I'm trying to post on the forum, but it won't let me, says I dont have the privilages:( I've contacted the webmaster, so I hope for a reply soon!:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or 5 years if the OP is in Scotland.

Nah, I'm in England.... otherwise I'd be smiling:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I had this from an address in north london.

I have never lived in north london, but they insisted I had

They kept calling, and eventually suggested they had caught me out, when I again stated I had never lived in north london, they then said how do you know it is a north london address if you never lived there.

I ended up paying it off £1200 over 6 months.

Easier than having my credit rating destroyed or some bloke emptying my house in to his van

that reminds me, you owe me £1000 for work i did at your adress in North London, i will accept £100 a week, please respond by pm so we can resolve this, or i will have to bring the van round........

it worked for them so it's worth a go eh?

It amazes me that you paid this, didn't you ask for proof? they have to prove that not only you owe the debt, but also that they own it
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something that scares me with Pipex.

We had a Pipex account, and when our company closed we tried to close our account. After speaking to about 15 different people we were told that the account was closed. But still, the money kept being taken from our account.

We were told by Pipex to cancel the DD instruction, which we did, and of course, no further payments were made.

But having read MANY moans about Pipex, cancelling your account with them is a nightmare. It is almost impossible to do - and people are being send demands years down the line for unpaid fees.

I hope this never happens to us, but i fear it might as i really dont believe our account was every cancelled, just the DD mandate stopped. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a cancellation department in Pipex, they just pass you around the houses.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    henners278 wrote: »
    that reminds me, you owe me £1000 for work i did at your adress in North London, i will accept £100 a week, please respond by pm so we can resolve this, or i will have to bring the van round........

it worked for them so it's worth a go eh?

It amazes me that you paid this, didn't you ask for proof? they have to prove that not only you owe the debt, but also that they own it
    That reminds me... you owe me some wages from a job we did in North London. I'll accept £50 per week for ten weeks :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought i would post this link

http://www.broadband-guide.org.uk/providers/pipex-broadband.html

Read the reviews at the bottom, a LOT of people are going through the same thing as the OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I thought i would post this link

http://www.broadband-guide.org.uk/providers/pipex-broadband.html

Read the reviews at the bottom, a LOT of people are going through the same thing as the OP.

Whoa!

Thing is, I've never even heard of Pipex until I got this letter through, I've never signed anything to do with them. The company that this debt must refer to was called Homecall, who are now no more. In fact, I have no actual way of knowing that this is in fact the case.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al_T3D wrote: »
    Whoa!

Thing is, I've never even heard of Pipex until I got this letter through, I've never signed anything to do with them. The company that this debt must refer to was called Homecall, who are now no more. In fact, I have no actual way of knowing that this is in fact the case.
    Pipex acquired the parent company of Homecall back in 2006

http://www.investegate.co.uk/Article.aspx?id=200603230701262559A
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Pipex acquired the parent company of Homecall back in 2006

http://www.investegate.co.uk/Article.aspx?id=200603230701262559A

Right, well that confirms that for sure. But that's all it could have been, the only trouble I've ever really had with a company, that wasn't resolved satisfactorily anyhow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I'm drawn to write this post (ages since I've been on digital spy) through the sheer horror of basically being accused of being a thief!
    For a week or so I have been 'in debt' (by phone recorded message) to a company called Fredrickson International.
    I got repeated calls about an outstanding debt I 'owed'. As it turned out, the debt was tied to a bloke who lived in a flat above me.
    When I finally rang the firm, they wanted to know the 'reference' they gave me. I didn't have it.
    I refused to give any details. They then asked for my Tel No.
    I gave it and they said "Are you Mr B" (won't give the name of the toerag that seemingly used my address). Then they said "what is your name?" I gave my name and they slammed the phone down.

Fredrickson International are unscrupulous c*nts who will be taken to court. I'm putting together a case now.