Options

Is BB ruder/stupider than it used to be?

Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
It's weird to think how far we have come/regressed, when in the days of BB3, it was peeing in the shower that caused all the fuss, and this year it's ejaculating. And in BB7 Glyn was cooking an egg for the very first time, these days contestants don't even know where eggs come from.

Comments

• Options
    HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glyn ejaculated into a condom in BB7 and brought it to the diary room.
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in days of yore the female housemates would often run around topless or even completely naked. Now they're saving it for the magazine deal when they get out.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other series' have had moments of fun and laughter - this one just seems nasty and depressing.

The selectors appear to have chosen too many HMs on looks alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    Other series' have had moments of fun and laughter - this one just seems nasty and depressing.

The selectors appear to have chosen too many HMs on looks alone.

I miss the old format and as it goes on it gets more tedious..
    And I do not like Pretty Boys,and Sara, Lauren, Shievonne & Becky are pretty.... Don't know what happened to all the rest.:eek:
    Oh I like Adam though:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to talk about nominations set the mood for this series, even after they took away the freedom of nomination talk the damage had been done and the contestants pretty much knew who their 'allies' and 'enemies' were.

The old series didn't have that so they had to 'feel' each other out by interacting with each other more, which often made things more interesting and less nasty.

I just about hate half the contestants of this series, the verbal insults are still flying around like crazy, I can't remember hating so many contestants in a past series.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The standard of the contestants seems to drop every year. They have become progressively nastier and more ignorant (with a few exceptions). A sad reflection on society.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. See: BB6.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno , Jade seemed pretty thick in BB3
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately she started a trend but at the time she was in a minority. They all seem to revel in their ignorance now and wear it as a badge of honour :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Unfortunately she started a trend but at the time she was in a minority. They all seem to revel in their ignorance now and wear it as a badge of honour :mad:

And by not only not punishing conor but also making him into a hero for the task, they are setting another bad trend & badge of honour. BB are totally irresponsible
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Jade started the 'stupid' trend but there were other personalities that year to mix it up, some of the earlier series have fairly intelligent people in having some decent conversation. Now the majority seems rude or stupid.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its different types of intelligence tho , general knowlege intelligence is just one type , being able to adapt in situations and get along wth strangers is another type .

I'd say Caroline is one of the most intelligent they've ever had
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She created the cult of stupid :(
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, BB6 was a pretty nasty series.
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree about BB6 being stupid. A lot of the housemates are incredibly smart, I'm watching it as we speak. Watching BB6 I get the impression that today's BB is incredibly shallow. Leslie, a housemate seen by many as some silly teenage tart just gave Sam quite an indepth analysis and had a very mature conversation about why they might be clashing. I don't know if that would happen today.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Well the powers that be are certainly wanting a stupider audience for the show, as a stupid audience will fall into line and like whatever they are told to like, and more importantly, won't demand much from the show.
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    i'm cooking an egg for the very first time a hmm a hmm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree about BB6 being stupid. A lot of the housemates are incredibly smart, I'm watching it as we speak. Watching BB6 I get the impression that today's BB is incredibly shallow. Leslie, a housemate seen by many as some silly teenage tart just gave Sam quite an indepth analysis and had a very mature conversation about why they might be clashing. I don't know if that would happen today.

Are you talking about Lesley's passive-aggressive 'apology' to Sam when they were sitting on the bed? She was being nasty, her words were drenched in condescending loathing.
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Are you talking about Lesley's passive-aggressive 'apology' to Sam when they were sitting on the bed? She was being nasty, her words were drenched in condescending loathing.

Yeah, that's the one. I felt it was quite sincere.

Sam is actually coming off as an idiot whilst rewatching this. She made no effort, tried to glide by with her sexuality, didn't bother with task, randomly got in bad moods, started arguments then when people stepped up to the argument she would just go "Shut up!" and not say anything else. Seeing as Leslie was 19 at the time and Sam was 24, Sam should have known a little better.

That's just my take on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the one. I felt it was quite sincere.

Sam is actually coming off as an idiot whilst rewatching this. She made no effort, tried to glide by with her sexuality, didn't bother with task, randomly got in bad moods, started arguments then when people stepped up to the argument she would just go "Shut up!" and not say anything else. Seeing as Leslie was 19 at the time and Sam was 24, Sam should have known a little better.

That's just my take on it.

Lesley was being very nasty. Sam may have tried to hide behind her sexuality, but she wasn't a malicious person. Where you see an idiot, I see a nice girl hindered by really bad anxiety/poor social skills. Like all bullies, Lesley sniffed this out and made Sam her target. She was as jealous of Saskia as she was of Sam, but she knew that if she tried any of her crap with Saskia, Saskia would have put her in her place. If Lesley was sincere, she wouldn't have kept bitching about Sam, after she made her 'apology' and after she was evicted. It's funny how Lesley only apologised to Sam after getting warned by BB, she knew her behaviour must have been coming across badly. I remember both Sam and Lesley (maybe Mary too) went to T4 on the Beach where it was filmed for BBLB and Lesley made an obscene gesture behind Sam's back to humiliate her. She really was a nasty, thuggish bully overcome with jealousy and spite. Sam was a sweet girl, I always think she would have got on better in BB 7 or 8. Lesley should never have been picked for the show. She was a MAJOR contributor to the nasty vibe of BB6 that everyone moans about.
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    redex wrote: »
    Being able to talk about nominations set the mood for this series, even after they took away the freedom of nomination talk the damage had been done and the contestants pretty much knew who their 'allies' and 'enemies' were.

The old series didn't have that so they had to 'feel' each other out by interacting with each other more, which often made things more interesting and less nasty.

I just about hate half the contestants of this series, the verbal insults are still flying around like crazy, I can't remember hating so many contestants in a past series.

Apart from 'hate' thing, I pretty much agree with every word of this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HelloRain wrote: »
    Lesley was being very nasty. Sam may have tried to hide behind her sexuality, but she wasn't a malicious person. Where you see an idiot, I see a nice girl hindered by really bad anxiety/poor social skills. Like all bullies, Lesley sniffed this out and made Sam her target. She was as jealous of Saskia as she was of Sam, but she knew that if she tried any of her crap with Saskia, Saskia would have put her in her place. If Lesley was sincere, she wouldn't have kept bitching about Sam, after she made her 'apology' and after she was evicted. It's funny how Lesley only apologised to Sam after getting warned by BB, she knew her behaviour must have been coming across badly. I remember both Sam and Lesley (maybe Mary too) went to T4 on the Beach where it was filmed for BBLB and Lesley made an obscene gesture behind Sam's back to humiliate her. She really was a nasty, thuggish bully overcome with jealousy and spite. Sam was a sweet girl, I always think she would have got on better in BB 7 or 8. Lesley should never have been picked for the show. She was a MAJOR contributor to the nasty vibe of BB6 that everyone moans about.

This just goes to show the importance of live feed and the fact that the highlights shows have always been edited in some peoples favour. I remember at the time people were saying Sam got shocking treatment from the producers in terms of edits and the story we saw unfold on the live feed was completely different. Makes you wonder just what we're missing without it.
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say this phenomenon is not contained by BB. It's rampant all over the planet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just goes to show the importance of live feed and the fact that the highlights shows have always been edited in some peoples favour. I remember at the time people were saying Sam got shocking treatment from the producers in terms of edits and the story we saw unfold on the live feed was completely different. Makes you wonder just what we're missing without it.

She really did get an unfair edit. The make-up bag incident was completely whitewashed. The highlights didn't show Sam crawling on the ground in tears, or Derek breaking the light switch in anger, or the other housemates gloating in seeing Sam cry. The edit made it look like it was simply a personality clash between Lesley and Sam, when in reality, it was half the house, with Lesley as the ringleader, tormenting and bullying Sam. I was glad when Lesley was evicted and Sam began to relax. She started to forge a friendship with Makosi, and even Derek, who had previously despised her, grew fond of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    The standard of the contestants seems to drop every year. They have become progressively nastier and more ignorant (with a few exceptions). A sad reflection on society.

No it isn't, let me say this again: you have to be more pragmatic and desperate to want to be a BB housemate now than you did in the past. As a brand, it's had its day. Nobody's going to get Brian Dowling's career off of this, they'll be lucky if they get any further interest. You're going deeper into the midden to take a punt on slimmer odds if you go on this show years after most people stopped giving a **** about it. That is reflected in the kind of people who take part. They're people for whom 'former Big Brother contestant' sounds like a decent job description.

Another thing is the difference in audience and the channel's view of its audience. Channel Four is a public service broadcaster. Channel 5 is owned by a guy who gave free newspaper ads to the EDL, and whose target demographic is specifically the thick and ignorant. For 5's idea of their viewers to be able to laugh at you, you need to be far more aggressively stupid than you do for Four's audience. Four made an entertainment show that pretended to be a serious psychological experiment so people had an alibi for watching, 5 makes a show that runs two Twitter accounts openly taking the piss out of the housemates. The dropping of the live feed reveals 5's lack of real interest in the concept, they just want to squeeze any remaining juice out of the brand. Big Brother is over. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't switch to celebrity editions only in future.