I hate Comic Relief (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares if the presenters are getting old. People arent going to tune in to see some xfactor reject come in and ruin it. People will watch it when you have well known people in it.

Get over yourself and do something else if you dont like the show. Its not about you its about poor unforchunate people.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares if the presenters are getting old. People arent going to tune in to see some xfactor reject come in and ruin it. People will watch it when you have well known people in it.

Get over yourself and do something else if you dont like the show. Its not about you its about poor unforchunate people.

They aren't even getting old though. With the exception of Lenny Henry, who I believe has played a massive role in Comic Relief for a number of years, the presenters are always very current. That's why I don't understand the comment about 'has-beens.' Lenny Henry is the only one I can think of who you could call a has-been (more like a never-was) but he has been a massive part of Comic Relief (along with Richard Curtis) so I can understand why he gets to appear time after time. Several posters used the term 'has-beens' in the plural though, so I was intrigued as to who they were referring to.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Which people who appear on Comic Relief 'would never otherwise get the chance of appearing in a prime-time show?'

Give it a rest love..
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What???

You obviously have no knowledge of what you're talking about. In a huge number of cases people WOULD die without the money Comic Relief has raised. I'd imagine the charity has saved, lenghtened and bettered the lives of more than a million people over the past 20 years or so.

You didn't answer the questions I asked you.

The forum is not full of people without a heart. And how do you know people would actually die?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Orion wrote: »
    Regarding the 'has beens' jibe, I'm pretty sure that Comic Relief has consistently featured whoever the biggest comedians of the day are, with the addition of certain faces like Lenny Henry every year, regardless of their current popularity. Whether you like Gervais or Corden or not, they did sketches when at the height of their popularity and both are internationally successful.

Likewise, the (generally awful) Comic Relief single is almost always a very popular music act collaborating with a big name comedian or comedy TV show.

You can dispute the quality, but it's rarely has beens or B-list

Yes, true! Comic Relief rarely has the "Has Beens" or "B-list". Yes, there are a few - but there's always the big names of the day on there as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a rest love..

That doesn't answer the question.

Be fair mate, you were asked a question, be reasonable enough to answer it.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike it as well & find it a total snooze-fest :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    The forum is not full of people without a heart. And how do you know people would actually die?

I don't KNOW for certain because I haven't been to any of the places in question to see for myself. However, I'd have to be a pretty twisted conspiracy theorist to think that it's all one big lie when the news, Comic Relief, charity adverts and people who have witnessed these things first hand are all lying to us about the amount of people dying needlessly around the world.

The BBC simply wouldn't get away with lying to us and conning billions of pounds out of people's pockets under false pretences. I think it's safe to assume they are telling us the truth on that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't KNOW for certain because I haven't been to any of the places in question to see for myself. However, I'd have to be a pretty twisted conspiracy theorist to think that it's all one big lie when the news, Comic Relief, charity adverts and people who have witnessed these things first hand are all lying to us about the amount of people dying needlessly around the world.

The BBC simply wouldn't get away with lying to us and conning billions of pounds out of people's pockets under false pretences. I think it's safe to assume they are telling us the truth on that one.

You should really watch the doc I mentioned in my first post in the thread :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should really watch the doc I mentioned in my first post in the thread :)

Go on, give us a clue.

People AREN'T dying needlessly every day? Is that it?

Comic Relief, adverts, the news and people who have witnessed extreme poverty with their own eyes are all lying to us? How and why did they all get away with that for so long?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't answer the question.

Be fair mate, you were asked a question, be reasonable enough to answer it.

You seem not to understand the word "perception."
    I wouldn't watch Comic Relief as the so called "stars" aren't that to me.
    If they are to you, then that's fine by me. Why you keep worrying about what I think, is more worrying than your opinion of the programme.

As I said, give it a rest, I'm tired of repeating the same points, nothing you say is going to change my mind.

As entertainment, I always though it was crap.

I'm not getting into a discussion of the merits of particular charities. I don't watch Children in Need either, as an entertainment programme, it doesn't appeal to me.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    I avoid all "Rich celebrities demand your money" things.

Yes - a bit like Bono demanding we all pay over cash to charity or have the government do it to end world poverty while at the same time stashing your cash offshore to avoid paying tax (so the govt has less money to give to the needy!:D).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem not to understand the word "perception."
    I wouldn't watch Comic Relief as the so called "stars" aren't that to me.
    If they are to you, then that's fine by me. Why you keep worrying about what I think, is more worrying than your opinion of the programme.

As I said, give it a rest, I'm tired of repeating the same points, nothing you say is going to change my mind.

As entertainment, I always though it was crap.

I'm not getting into a discussion of the merits of particular charities. I don't watch Children in Need either, as an entertainment programme, it doesn't appeal to me.

You're not repeating the same points, you have infact completely changed the point you made. Previously you claimed the people on Comic Relief were has-beens and now, when challenged on that, you've changed it to saying they're 'not stars to you.' A bizarre, sweeping generalisation to make and a completely different statement to the one which I initially pulled you up on.

It's not that I'm worried by what you think, more that you tried to derail what was an adult debate by writing what appeared to be a downright lie which had no basis or evidence whatsoever to back it up.

You're an adult, I'm assuming, so as I asked you before, please just be fair and reasonable when posting on here. If you're going to make a statement, make sure you can back it up with evidence because writing stuff which is false and presenting it as fact is of no help to anyone.

I've gone away and researched your statement and the only possible 'has-been' I could see in the last Comic Relief presenter line-up was Lenny Henry, so when you talked about has-beens in the plural, I'm just wondering who else you were referring to? That's all. I'm not even saying your statement is definitely false, I'm just asking you to provide your evidence so people can judge either way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Digital Spy posters in 'bitterness, envy and racism' shock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - a bit like Bono demanding we all pay over cash to charity or have the government do it to end world poverty while at the same time stashing your cash offshore to avoid paying tax (so the govt has less money to give to the needy!:D).

Exactly. He's not the only one either. If these people think they can lecture us on giving money to the needy why don't they set a good example?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems a regular feature on Digital Spy that around the time of any charity appeal there are people trying to justify themselves not giving money to the charity. Best to just ignore them.
  • cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with Comic relief is you can watch a lot of rubbish before some good sketches are shown.

It also seems to manipulate and patronise at the same time, which can be uncomfortable. I can understand why some get so enthusiastic about these things but maybe it's be one of those 'love it or hate it' kind of programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy posters in 'bitterness, envy and racism' shock.

The OP should be ashamed of himself for doing a horrible thread. Im suprised DS hasent deleted it by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not repeating the same points, you have infact completely changed the point you made. Previously you claimed the people on Comic Relief were has-beens and now, when challenged on that, you've changed it to saying they're 'not stars to you.' A bizarre, sweeping generalisation to make and a completely different statement to the one which I initially pulled you up on.

It's not that I'm worried by what you think, more that you tried to derail what was an adult debate by writing what appeared to be a downright lie which had no basis or evidence whatsoever to back it up.

You're an adult, I'm assuming, so as I asked you before, please just be fair and reasonable when posting on here. If you're going to make a statement, make sure you can back it up with evidence because writing stuff which is false and presenting it as fact is of no help to anyone.

I've gone away and researched your statement and the only possible 'has-been' I could see in the last Comic Relief presenter line-up was Lenny Henry, so when you talked about has-beens in the plural, I'm just wondering who else you were referring to? That's all. I'm not even saying your statement is definitely false, I'm just asking you to provide your evidence so people can judge either way.

Isn't Lenny Henry as a "has been" enough?

Sorry, I didn't know it was incumbent on me to expand on my point of view.

Oh yes! That's right! It isn't!

"Have a nice day."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go on, give us a clue.

People AREN'T dying needlessly every day? Is that it?

Comic Relief, adverts, the news and people who have witnessed extreme poverty with their own eyes are all lying to us? How and why did they all get away with that for so long?

They're not lying, bit at times it is fabricated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not lying, bit at times it is fabricated.

Come on people, what is the point in making vague, baseless statements without backing them up with any sort of explanation, reasoning or evidence? What are you suggesting is fabricated?

I'm not for a minute claiming that nobody has ever been conned by a 'charity scam' of some sort but I'm very confident that Comic Relief is not a scam. As this is a thread about Comic Relief, I don't see the relevance in you saying 'some charities are a scam.'

It seems like you saw a documentary about charity donations and are confusing what you saw with being applicable to Comic Relief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Lenny Henry as a "has been" enough?

Sorry, I didn't know it was incumbent on me to expand on my point of view.

Oh yes! That's right! It isn't!

"Have a nice day."

You didn't give your point of view though, you made a statement of fact. Your statement appeared to be completely untrue and you can't go about making false accusations like that.

Even if you had stated your opinion, like I said to the poster above, it's an adult forum, you can't seriously expect to throw vague, baseless claims about without being challenged and asked to explain your reasoning? What is the point in making baseless claims like that? That would be like me saying 'I think grass is blue' or 'I think Birmingham is the capital of the UK' and then being asked to explain my reasoning and saying 'no, I'm not telling.' What would be the point?

As I keep saying to you, we're all adults, everyone is being adult and fair with you so please start treating others the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenny Henry has every right to be on each show considering he did a huge contribution to the show.
  • MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity begins @ home

Africa is not civilised (bar the Arab North and South Africa), and does not deserve the money. The funds need to be cut and be left to their own devices.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity begins @ home

Africa is not civilised (bar the Arab North and South Africa), and does not deserve the money. The funds need to be cut and be left to their own devices.

I agree. Africa has been getting billions of pounds from the rest of the world for years now and needs to learn to stand on its own feet.
    We can't keep throwing money at people who will not help themselves.
    The rest of the world became civilised so why can't the africans....