Options

Harvard Referencing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hi guys, quick query!
I need to reference the Canterbury Tales frequently in my essay. The copy I have has all the tales, but is compiled by an editor (my tutor!)...I'm not quite sure how to put this into a reference? Obviously normally in the essay it would be (Bloggs, 2010: 490), is this the same?

Comments

• Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Ask your tutor.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean, compiled by an editor/your tutor? As in, it is an edited, published book with your tutor as an editor? Or do you mean he's just like printed you out a booklet with photocopies or something in?

Either way, if you're referencing only the original work from the Canterbury Tales and not the editor's comments that go alongside it (if there are any), I'd just use the original reference -- not reference the specific copy you have.

For example, I'm a sociology student, and many of my lecturers give print outs of chapters they've written from their upcoming books (this is probably dubious when it comes to legality but hey! They're the ones who do it!). If they mention a big grand theory then I always go and find the big grand theory myself elsewhere in its original format and reference that. There's no point referencing the other copy unless you're actually using the editor's comments or whatever from it; if you're just using it as a way of reading the original content then reference the original content as otherwise you're doing secondary referencing which, at least on my course, is frowned upon.

If it is a published, edited book, and you are using quotes from the editor's commentary, there is a specific way to reference an edited book -- just search Harvard referencing on Google, the first result is from Anglia Ruskin university or something -- and that webpage has details on how to do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    What do you mean, compiled by an editor/your tutor? As in, it is an edited, published book with your tutor as an editor? Or do you mean he's just like printed you out a booklet with photocopies or something in?

Either way, if you're referencing only the original work from the Canterbury Tales and not the editor's comments that go alongside it (if there are any), I'd just use the original reference -- not reference the specific copy you have.

For example, I'm a sociology student, and many of my lecturers give print outs of chapters they've written from their upcoming books (this is probably dubious when it comes to legality but hey! They're the ones who do it!). If they mention a big grand theory then I always go and find the big grand theory myself elsewhere in its original format and reference that. There's no point referencing the other copy unless you're actually using the editor's comments or whatever from it; if you're just using it as a way of reading the original content then reference the original content as otherwise you're doing secondary referencing which, at least on my course, is frowned upon.

If it is a published, edited book, and you are using quotes from the editor's commentary, there is a specific way to reference an edited book -- just search Harvard referencing on Google, the first result is from Anglia Ruskin university or something -- and that webpage has details on how to do it.

with harvard you are meant to reference the work you are reading, not the original source (although its good practice to go to the original) so if this is a professional edited book you'd out authors/editors date, book name, edition, location, publisher
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    with harvard you are meant to reference the work you are reading, not the original source (although its good practice to go to the original) so if this is a professional edited book you'd out authors/editors date, book name, edition, location, publisher

Yep, was gonna say same thing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, I've emailed my tutor, I should have done that first, silly me :o
    It was more the in text reference I wasn't sure how to do, like (Chaucer, DATE:490).
  • Options
    Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Ref the work you have.