Fave takeaway Indian? Share it here!

2»

Comments

• Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have over the years gone through the whole menu of my local indian takeaway and have got it down to a fine art.

Chicken Dhansak

Pilau Rice

3 Popadoms

2 Keema Naans

(they dont sell chips) :cry:

With something good on the telly, evenings for me don't get much better than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I normally like to try a different curry every time, and one of the takeaways near me has got some really exotic stuff http://www.ministryofspice.net/

Starter - pepper stuffed with mixed veg, chickpeas and cheese
    Main - either a chicken phall or lamb jafrani (like a jalfrezi with more sauce)
    Either onion rice, chilli rice or garlic rice
    Garlic naan
    Popadoms and onion salad/mango chutney

and they usually give you a freebie veg side dish of their choice

all washed down with a bottle of King Cobra :cool:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Old thread but it's the same topic I wanted.

Here's my 'standard' Indian takeaway order (i.e when I'm not feeling adventurous)

chicken dopiaza
    egg fried rice
    peshwari naan

papadums (with mango chutney)
    I also love the salad and yoghurt dip.

:) yum.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't understand people who have the same every time, my wife usually has the same each time, that'd just bore me. I like to try something different each time, although I've probably had just about everything (that I fancy) from my local Indian.

Recently discovered the Lamb Pathia though which is great, hot but sweet and sour too.

Partial to a bit of Panga fish tikka too as a starter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My usual order:

Lamb pathia
    Chicken korma
    pilau rice
    onion bahjis
    keema naan

My local take-away does half portions of curry, so you can mix and match
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Really don't understand people who have the same every time, my wife usually has the same each time, that'd just bore me. I like to try something different each time, although I've probably had just about everything (that I fancy) from my local Indian.

Recently discovered the Lamb Pathia though which is great, hot but sweet and sour too.

Depends how often you have it surely? I have a Chinese or Indian once every month at the most, so tend to have the same thing.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is making my mouth water ;-)

My favourites are: Chicken Samber, Chicken Madras, King prawn Patia. and pilau rice.

Not all at once :D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have something different each time but just prefer the following (which I now have every time)

tandoori king prawn
    tarka dhal
    sag paneer
    aubergine bahji

If I am allowing myself to have some bread, I will have a cheese naan, but thats very rare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how often you have it surely? I have a Chinese or Indian once every month at the most, so tend to have the same thing.

I don't think so, we have it less than once a month but I still like to try something different each time.

Then again, if I'm in a restaurant and see something I've never had before I'll usually try it, people often say "What if you don't like it?" but I'd rather take that chance than never try anything new. That's the main reason I like taster menus as you always get something that you'd probably never ever pick. I very rarely choose soup from a menu and I don't really like poached eggs but one of the nicest starters I've had was a potato and garlic soup with a poached ducks egg and salt cod.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Same here. I usually go with a couple and another friend and I can tell you what they will order every time. Well, almost. One swaps between a tikka masala and a makhoni with is almost identical.
    I don't think so, we have it less than once a month but I still like to try something different each time.

Then again, if I'm in a restaurant and see something I've never had before I'll usually try it, people often say "What if you don't like it?" but I'd rather take that chance than never try anything new. That's the main reason I like taster menus as you always get something that you'd probably never ever pick. I very rarely choose soup from a menu and I don't really like poached eggs but one of the nicest starters I've had was a potato and garlic soup with a poached ducks egg and salt cod.
    Again, same here. We usually go on the Sunday night deal for £7.95. (poppadoms, starter, main, side, naan)
    It's too much food anyway so if for some reason I really couldn't stomach one of the items it's more than likely the other items would fill me up.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamb Vindaloo

Mushroom Rice

Couple of Poppadoms

Garlic Naan

Yumness
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    INDIAN MINT SAUCE

1 cup Natural Yoghurt
    2 tsp Mint Sauce
    3 tbsp. blended Mango Chutney
    2 tsp Lemon Juice
    Couple of drops of yellow food colouring.
    A little milk to thin out if needed.

Perfect for chicken tikka, poppadoms, wraps etc.

This stuff is exactly the same as you get in takeaways, it also freezes perfectly.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    INDIAN MINT SAUCE

1 cup Natural Yoghurt
    2 tsp Mint Sauce
    3 tbsp. blended Mango Chutney
    2 tsp Lemon Juice
    Couple of drops of yellow food colouring.
    A little milk to thin out if needed.

Perfect for chicken tikka, poppadoms, wraps etc.

This stuff is exactly the same as you get in takeaways, it also freezes perfectly.

Nice recipe. I love mint sauce

Arent all curry's from indian takeaways the same anyway though ? :)
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    I'm asian and I can cook everything mentioned here and MUCH better too. :p

My Tandoori chicken is nice and spicy!
    My lamb lovely and tender!
    My naan nice and fluffy!

:p lol. No takeaway can beat homemade when it comes to curry imo. They all seem to think we want heaps of sauce. Dry curry is delicious! Alot of the curry sauces are the same base with few different ingredients added to fit description.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Nice recipe. I love mint sauce

Arent all curry's from indian takeaways the same anyway though ? :)

A lot of takeaways and restaurants use a base sauce for most curries but I wouldn't say that means all the curry's are the same.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer lots of sauce, homemade or takeaway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :p lol. No takeaway can beat homemade when it comes to curry imo. They all seem to think we want heaps of sauce. Dry curry is delicious! Alot of the curry sauces are the same base with few different ingredients added to fit description.

I totally agree with you on the loads of sauce part, however a Bangladeshi owner of a restaurant claimed that their curries contained more sauce than curries in Bradford , Mumtaz, Aghrah and Akbars. There you can get dry type curries easily, which have more meat and chicken and veg than sauce. The Bangladeshi currys tend to be more sauce where we live in the Midlands. There's hardly any Asian people here so I assume it's why the food standard is lower. One Indian Nepalese restaurant makes curries full of lond onions strips. All the locals rave about it but it's awful if you've eaten better in Bradford, London and other cities across the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely whether it is dry or not depends on the type of curry? Our local restaurant states on the menu if it's a dry curry or if it has lots of sauce. If I'm having rice with it I prefer sauce.

They certainly don't all taste the same though.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Chicken Korma
    Chicken Tikka Masaala
    Lamb Rogan Josh
    Poppadomms
    Samosas. :)
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Poppadoms and Mango Chutney
    Chicken Pakora
    Chicken Madras, Peshwari naan and Pilau rice.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King prawn madras and keema naan for me but not had one for a long time as they are too expensive. Also those big fat Indian takeaway chips, love them.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Poppadoms & pickle tray

Lamb bhoona/rogan josh
    Rice
    Garlic naan