Options

The youth speaking accents/slang that's not even localised i.e British!

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, not at all. I was YOU and Christa who made the first allusions to their being in your opinion a racial element to what most posters simply saw and see as a cultural oddity/piece of ludicrousness.

Strangely now, that some of us found such an assertion baseless and frankly offensive, you have withdrawn your original use of the word. Which rather makes my point for me that such assertions are very serious and people should think twice before saying them. At best you were ill judged and cavalier using such words and at worst you were arrogant enough to believe a black person saying racist would be allowed to pass without retort.

You make a whooole load of assumptions there and I was under the impression you weren't keen on assumptions.

Actually re: race. Whoever first mentioned 'white' youths brought that into the equation. And it wasn't me. But you appear to have missed that since it doesn't align well with your current agenda.

What difference does it make what colour I am ? Why would that make any difference ?

I suggest that you are the one bringing race in bucket loads to this argument.

Again. Stop lying. I did not say racist.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about this then.

A lot of this thread is little more then thinly veiled xenophobia. And you can dress it up however you like.

The topic could have been a harmless criticism of silly accents as certain posters are tying to claim but it quickly gained a sinister subtext in which a select few posters decided it would be a good excuse to put forward abhorrent views whilst feigning harmlessness.

Death camps indeed. Vile thread.:mad:
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Isn't it more to do with youths copying accents which they perceive to be 'cool'?

The jist of this thread (as I read it) is that some posters think this Tim Westwood-type vocal affectation sounds stupid on the lips of British youth. However, it has somehow got embroiled with an argument about rascism, which is unnecessary.

I remember in the late 80s, some teens were adopting the Aussie speech patterns (words going up at the end of a sentence instead of down and the strangulated pronunciation of certain vowels). People who pointed out this phenomenon were not labelled as being racist: just stating the obvious that kids are emulating the accents of a culture they saw on TV. However, in those days I think it was seen as an exception while emulating a different vocal style seems much more common today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I remember in the late 80s, some teens were adopting the Aussie speech patterns (words going up at the end of a sentence instead of down and the strangulated pronunciation of certain vowels). People who pointed out this phenomenon were not labelled as being racist: just stating the obvious that kids are emulating the accents of a culture they saw on TV. However, in those days I think it was seen as an exception while emulating a different vocal style seems much more common today.

Aha! The old moronic interrogative. This has to be the most annoying affected speech pattern of all. It makes the speaker appear unsure and lacking confidence. Unfortunately I know some lovely people who use it constantly and it makes me want to scream at them.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Lisa_R wrote: »
    Aha! The old moronic interrogative. This has to be the most annoying affected speech pattern of all. It makes the speaker appear unsure and lacking confidence. Unfortunately I know some lovely people who use it constantly and it makes me want to scream at them.

Is that what they called it? I do remember that it was sometimes hard to decipher whether some children were asking a question or imitating Charlene Ramsay!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Is that what they called it? I do remember that it was sometimes hard to decipher whether some children were asking a question or imitating Charlene Ramsay!

Confession time: I actually heard Rory McGrath call it that on Grumpy Old Men a few years ago and, unusually for me, I remembered it.

I had to speak to a solicitor years ago (from that there London) and she used it all the time and in the end I lost my patience and just said "Look, I'm really sorry but I don't know what it is you want. Are you asking me something or telling me something because the words are telling me something but the way you're speaking makes me think you're asking me something?" She got really offended and hung up. I can't deal with it.