Options

Have a bath once per week?

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I was a kid, it was a well known thing for folk where I lived to bath on a sunday night and that was it.

Was this the case when you were young? And when did it change? When did folk become more clean?

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's debatable whether it does make you more clean. There's evidence floating around that excessive bathing (particularly those who are horrified if you don't shower thoroughly) at least once a day can reduce your body's ability to regulate its own cleanliness and scent. There's a balance to be found and as a society I don't think we're at that balance yet.

Exceptions, of course, being made where people are genuinely actually dirty from doing dirty things. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    That's disgusting!
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;45719925']That's disgusting!

This! Shower or bath- I don't care which, do it daily!
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Yes once a week twice if we were dirty;) I think it was not unusual (as a kid not now I hasten to add)
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    When I was a kid, it was a well known thing for folk where I lived to bath on a sunday night and that was it.

Was this the case when you were young? And when did it change? When did folk become more clean?

I think it's more to do with Central Heating and boilers for water. It's a bit of a pain having a bath if you've got to boil the kettle 20 or thirty times before you can have a bath - which is what happened in the "old days".

So it's a convenience thing rather than a cleanliness thing, imo.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a week yes. My mum was a single mum, she used to 'switch the water on' to heat it up. She couldn't afford to leave it on all the time!
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I shower daily, (aside from days where I know I'll just be at home all day and not see anyone all day), and I have a bath probably every 2 weeks or so
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    This is where we really need a vomit smiley. It does make me physically sick people that don't bath every day. Because they're the type that come in work or uni stinking of piss and shit making everyone suffer but immune to their own smell.

Back in the olden days, I accept that people only bathed a couple of times a week, because every one smelt the same so became used to it.

But this is the modern world, 21st century. Anyone that doesn't shower daily has no excuse other than being filthy. Thankfully I do not know anyone that doesn't!

/rant over
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »

I think its more about growing up as when your a child you don't think about baths/showers as you grow older you become more aware of when you smell WASH DAILY:)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bathe the first of every month whether I need it or not ;)
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shower every day, i used to love lying in a nice hot bath till i had a discussion with someone about how i was lying in my own mucky dirty water after the first few mins :( kinda put me off.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    This is where we really need a vomit smiley. It does make me physically sick people that don't bath every day. Because they're the type that come in work or uni stinking of piss and shit making everyone suffer but immune to their own smell.

Back in the olden days, I accept that people only bathed a couple of times a week, because every one smelt the same so became used to it.

But this is the modern world, 21st century. Anyone that doesn't shower daily has no excuse other than being filthy. Thankfully I do not know anyone that doesn't!

/rant over

That interests me. Because you might do, you know.
    It is plain you don't know anyone who stinks - which is good, of course :D - but how do you know for certain they shower or bathe every day?

Because I seriously doubt that anyone who doesn't bathe or shower every day stinks of shit or piss unless they are actually doubly incontinent.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the olden days, people still got washed properly every day even if they only had a bath once a week!

We used to have a bath every 2 or 3 days when we were kids, but got a wash every day, though when i turned teenager I started getting a shower every night, now its every morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind admitting I dont shower every day. I have a water metre, & pay bills on my own with 2 teens. My bill is about £100 twice a year as it is. If I showered everyday I hate to think what it would be.
    I dont think many people need to shower every day, unless they have a messy job.
    I have it on very good authority that I dont smell though :D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Honestly, I get heartily sick and tired of those who 'look down' on days gone by when it was not possible to bathe or shower every day.

And, no, people didn't smell. They washed, all over, every day in a freezing cold bath room. As Florence Nightingale said, 'All a women needs to keep clean is a pint of warm water and some privacy.'
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    In the olden days, people still got washed properly every day even if they only had a bath once a week!

We used to have a bath every 2 or 3 days when we were kids, but got a wash every day, though when i turned teenager I started getting a shower every night, now its every morning.

exactly -people have a tendency to jump to conclusions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    That interests me. Because you might do, you know.
    It is plain you don't know anyone who stinks - which is good, of course :D - but how do you know for certain they shower or bathe every day?

Because I seriously doubt that anyone who doesn't bathe or shower every day stinks of shit or piss unless they are actually doubly incontinent.

Thanks for reminding me :( of this stink bomb that came in the lecture the other week and sat near me. It was repulsive. Me and my friends had to get up and move, even if it was near the front, we just thought, it's worth sacrificing the back seats just to get away :\

But being smelly is not just unhygienic, it's rude. Fair enough if you don't mind smelling yourself, but other people have to! It's no different to going round the streets shouting abuse at people.

/rant 2 over! Just thought I'd share my experience with you!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I accepted the fact that people used to in the olden days.

Although I'm not sure how olden we are talking here. I was born in the 90s and have bathed/showered every day of my life as far as I know.
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me :( of this stink bomb that came in the lecture the other week and sat near me. It was repulsive. Me and my friends had to get up and move, even if it was near the front, we just thought, it's worth sacrificing the back seats just to get away :\

But being smelly is not just unhygienic, it's rude. Fair enough if you don't mind smelling yourself, but other people have to! It's no different to going round the streets shouting abuse at people.

Yes, showering once a month is offensive! lol
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hair gets horrible and really icky to straighten if I wash it every day, and I am NOT wearing a shower cap. Plus showering every day is a waste of water. I shower every two days, and every day I wash myself over with water and soap and a flannel, and use that batista dryshampoo stuff every day I don't wash my hair :) Plus I'm a girl, I just coat myself in Charlie every day before college anyway :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although I'm not sure how olden we are talking here. I was born in the 90s and have bathed/showered every day of my life as far as I know.

LOL @ born in the 90's!! :D They meant waaaaaay before then..
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I was a child of the seventies-hardly 'the olden days'-and I think it was generally accepted that one night of the week was bath night.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    As children in the 60s and 70s we had baths once a week, and washes on the other days, when I was very young we had no bathroom, and my parents had to drag in a tin bath and heat up water in an old gas barrel on the floor, so you can see why they were not more regular.

Our toilet was in the corner of the kitchen with just a little strip of wood around it, you could see peoples heads and feet when they were in there.

When we moved and finally got a real bathroom, we carried on with weekly baths and hair washes, on a Sunday night before school. They could not afford to heat the water more often than that, but we always had strip washes on the other nights.

I think these days we are all too uptight about cleanliness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I hate it when I'm on the bus and someone stinking sits in front of me. I've always said that if you can't smoke on the bus then you shouldn't be allowed on if you're stinking! :mad: