BBC News channel relaunch - Broadcasting house 2012

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to latest updates, BBC News channel should start its live broadcast from broadcasting house possibly early next year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadcastinghouse/pdf/BH_newsletter_25.pdf

Pictures of construction of news studios

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quaerentia/6306127127

I am excited about this...

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,301
    Forum Member
    alikhan wrote: »
    According to latest updates, BBC News channel should start its live broadcast from broadcasting house possibly early next year...

Pictures of construction of news studios

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quaerentia/6306127127

I am excited about this...
    The chance of a BBC News HD channel is probably slim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the channel will have HD pictures and graphics as most of the broadcast is more likely to be shown on BBC One and Two HD Channels. I am not sure if BBC News HD is needed at this stage.

2012 is going to be very big for the BBC with broadcasting house, Salford studios, olympics, diamond jubliee celebrations etc.
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the channel will have HD pictures and graphics as most of the broadcast is more likely to be shown on BBC One and Two HD Channels. I am not sure if BBC News HD is needed at this stage.

2012 is going to be very big for the BBC with broadcasting house, Salford studios, olympics, diamond jubliee celebrations etc.

Yup. Not looking forward to the cutbacks in 2013 as a result. Sports Personality of the Year live from Basingstoke Leisure Centre. Doctor Who's Tardis will be a *real* Police Box. Lots more shouting on EastEnders because the BBC can't afford the extra mics. You know.

Gary
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an economy measure EastEnders will become EastEnder and feature only Ian Beale
    The Sky at Night will become The Sky at Midday to save overtime on crews working at night
    The One Show will become The None Show
    Breakfast will be recorded in the evenings so only one person is required in VT to transmit it
    Live at the Apollo will become Dead at the Apollo
    Casualty will be closed at weekends and after 7 pm
    Holby City will become Holby Hamlet
    Total Wipeout will become 50% Wipeout
    Mrs Brown's Boys will become Mrs Brown's Boy
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    As an economy measure EastEnders will become EastEnder and feature only Ian Beale
    The Sky at Night will become The Sky at Midday to save overtime on crews working at night
    Breakfast will be recorded in the evenings so only one person is required in VT to transmit it

This is so funny:eek:
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    So thats why F1 is on Sky next year, the BBC are giving the news presenters a new box! Pff...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

If they have put all this money into the new studios they must be planning a hd service.
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    If they have put all this money into the new studios they must be planning a hd service.

Well it's a prudent idea, but a "BBC News Channel HD" might be a while off yet.
    I would expect we would see the BBC National News on BBC One going HD first with a down converted SD version on the BBC News Channel for the time being. That's just my theory.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there is absolutely no reason why all output would not be produced in HD, but not necessarily broadcast as such.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member

I hear it will be after the olympics and nearer 2013 before the News Channel moves. Newsnight are likely to be the first......

Regarding HD. New BH is an HD facilty and all the equipment is HD. In reality the News Channel will be broadcast in SD to the home, even though it will be produced in HD. BBC One will get full HD to the home assuming you've got HD at home!
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,301
    Forum Member
    biginsider wrote: »
    I hear will be after the olympics and nearer 2013 before the News Channel moves. Newsnight are likely to be the first......

Regarding HD. New BH is an HD facilty and all the equipment is HD. In relatively the News Channel will be broadcast in SD to the home, even though it will be produced in HD. BBC One will get full HD to the home assuming you've got HD at home!
    On the newsroom floor, the set and lighting for the BBC news channel and bulletins is under construction, in readiness for the first live news broadcasts later next year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    And Newsnight is a BBC News Programme......, after the olympics is what I'm reliably informed....
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes perfect sense for it to be Newsnight to be the first thing to move, it's pretty much self contained and for many years was produced in isolation from the news operation.

I would imagine Marr and whatever the Politics Show becomes will move next, and probably together as they share a studio?
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Well it's a prudent idea, but a "BBC News Channel HD" might be a while off yet.
    I would expect we would see the BBC National News on BBC One going HD first with a down converted SD version on the BBC News Channel for the time being. That's just my theory.

I would also expect at least some of the preview loop on BBC HD to be replaced by BBC news, at least until BBC HD is closed, then overnight broadcasts of news on BBC Two will be on BBC Two HD.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW!! So this is where all our TV Licence money is going??:eek::eek:

And yet, it will be the same old same old same old tired worn out programming!!!:mad::mad:
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    If the BBC can bid for an extra multiplex on Freeview after 2012, we could maybe have CBBC HD timeshared with BBC Three HD in the evening like with the SD versions now and the same thing thing with CBeebies and BBC Four. We could also then have BBC News HD. Wishful thinking I know, but theres nothing wrong with a little bit of wishful thinking right? ;)

Besides, BBC News in HD would look more professional in those waiting rooms at say for example the doctor's surgery where you have a 42 inch TV hung on a wall in one corner. Mind you, the BBC News in HD would probably go to waste a little bit, since many will either have DVB-T only TV sets or have DVB-T2 TV sets but just never bother with the HD version of BBC News out of sheer ignorance about it's existance and still have the SD version showing!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is building five TV studios at BH and they have to be equipped from scratch so they might as well be HD-capable,the extra cost is relatively minor when you take into account the whole project.BBC London News is already in BH as is the BBC's Persian TV service.By the way part of the BBC's description of the new centre is worthy of John Birt himself - journalists will sit together in ''genre-specific multimedia clusters'' and there will be 20 ''video ingest points'' around the building - I think that means somewhere you can plug in a camera and go live.What hope is there for viewers and listeners if the BBC comes up with gobbledygook like that in its press releases.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    WOW!! So this is where all our TV Licence money is going??:eek::eek:

Not according to this:
    Independently funded

The new development has been financed by a public-private partnership involving a special bond - so no licence fee monies have been used for the construction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadcastinghouse/bh_story/bh_future.shtml

And the reason for a new building:
    Moving into the 1980s and 1990s, Broadcasting House lacked the space and infrastructure for the emerging new technologies. The new development has been designed to sit harmoniously alongside its historic neighbours, whilst housing the very latest digital broadcast technology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadcastinghouse/bh_story/bh_past.shtml

and
    By the end of the millennium, the building was in dire need of repair - so the decision was taken to close it, in order to transform it into a broadcast centre for the 21st century.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadcastinghouse/bh_story/index.shtml
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a Two Ronnies script !

Apologies- of course, that should be a One Ronnie script.
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

But where's the explanation for the gold leaf, 'acres' of marble etc ?
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there will be 20 ''video ingest points'' around the building - I think that means somewhere you can plug in a camera and go live.

Ingest points are where tapes from cameras are fed into servers. At that point the footage can be edited on desktop computers.

In regional centres it's known as a multimedia hub.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

& with that new idents olimpic cicle themes ,by the end of all this will come a fresh new look one. & i am sticking to my space theme vision. i just had an idea:) why don't the BBC aproch the viewers for there imput on a new BBC ONE ident ,the RT did it with there readers ,why not BBC one? i can see alot of bold ideas coming out of that:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First pictures of BBC World news studio at Broadcasting House. I assume that News channel would be similar?

Looking fab though....

http://www.bbcwwchannels.com/documents/articles/430/Picture6.jpg
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First pictures of BBC World news studio at Broadcasting House. I assume that News channel would be similar?

Looking fab though....

http://www.bbcwwchannels.com/documents/articles/430/Picture6.jpg

Looks good, any idea when BBC News/BBC World will be moving to New BH ?

I hear BBC Breakfast will be moving to Salford during Easter.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Looks good, any idea when BBC News/BBC World will be moving to New BH ?

I hear BBC Breakfast will be moving to Salford during Easter.

i am assuming UNLESS others know different all at the same time?