Options

location, Location,Location

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Just watched the episode in Liverpool.

Quick question....if the property is under the max amount they can afford, they often say that they will have a lot left over for renovations etc....(say their max is 500k)

But how does that work? Coz surely if they buy a house at say 485k, then their mortgage company will only give them 485k coz that is what the house is valued at and thus they won't have anything left over??

Yeah, this is exactly how it works.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Just watched the episode in Liverpool.

Quick question....if the property is under the max amount they can afford, they often say that they will have a lot left over for renovations etc....(say their max is 500k)

But how does that work? Coz surely if they buy a house at say 485k, then their mortgage company will only give them 485k coz that is what the house is valued at and thus they won't have anything left over??

Their funds will be made up of their own deposit money and their mortgage.
    The mortgage depends both on their salaries and ability to pay it back, and also how much they want to borrow related to the price they agree to pay for the property.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these first time buyers, in their 20's who can find £250k/£500k a year upwards for a flat etc....who are they??

I earn £30k + a year and I can't afford that kind of mortgage

Have Kirsty and Phil ever had to shop for a decent house for £100-120k? (which is still 6 times the real average salary in the UK of around £17-20k)

I think these "experts" should help people in the recession, starting with those who are really struggling with paying the bills, needing to downsize the mortgage etc.........call it Repossesion Repossesion Repossesion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All these first time buyers, in their 20's who can find £250k/£500k a year upwards for a flat etc....who are they??

Have Kirsty and Phil ever had to shop for a decent house for £100-120k? (which is still 6 times the real average salary in the UK of around £17-20k)

I think these "experts" should help people in the recession, starting with those who are really struggling with paying the bills, needing to downsize the mortgage etc.........call it Repossesion Repossesion Repossesion

Where do you get the £17-20k figure from?
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this week's episode but I couldn't believe the young engaged couple passed up the gorgeous second house because it was too grown up and family like for them and then raved about a very ordinary suburban looking house on a very ordinary suburban road with loads of young families and decided they would look around for something very similar. It made no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    The thing I don't like about this programme is that if a house needs a new bathroom, kitchen and windows they always offer ridiculously low, yet surely the asking price takes this into account. Worse though, is when the buyers want to make changes to a perfectly good house, Phil and Kirsty will tell the agent that they're only offering x amount because their clients will need to spend thousands on alterations, I think that's a little insulting to the vendors.

They used to do normal priced houses, ones that most people could afford. They've done terraced houses in Liverpool and ex-council houses in Bolton. Now it's becoming more like Escape To The Country.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    I know you never see couple on modest income one assistant shop manger and one factory supervisor with 100k budget looking for 3 bed home for them and their two kids.

I'd so love to see Phil & Kirsty sweat over a challenge like this. They would be well out of the comfort zone trying to find a decent sized home below the £125k stamp duty threshold that isn't falling down.
    Now it's becoming more like Escape To The Country.

Has any of the 'househunters' that appeared on 'Escape to the Country' actually bought a house featured on the programme?

And the 'discounts' off the asking price that Kirsty Allsopp manage to win for her buyers are pitiful. Kirsty has great negotiating skills - my a**e! :p
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Kirsty and Phil ever had to shop for a decent house for £100-120k? (which is still 6 times the real average salary in the UK of around £17-20k

I think they have done the occasional search for a "normal" house, especially in the earlier series but they were rarities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I used to love location location location , but find it very much the same kind if thing each week now. I would find it much more appealing if they did lots more episodes searching for property for the average 2.4 family with a £150 k budget, get so tired of these snooty young kids who have been given a big deposit by mummy and daddy or these so called professionals doing really meaningless jobs, none of these seem to have much common sense either !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Much prefer homes under the hammer these days !
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chazmaxi wrote: »
    I used to love location location location , but find it very much the same kind if thing each week now. I would find it much more appealing if they did lots more episodes searching for property for the average 2.4 family with a £150 k budget, get so tired of these snooty young kids who have been given a big deposit by mummy and daddy or these so called professionals doing really meaningless jobs, none of these seem to have much common sense either !

Agreed. They look for a house that has the necessary impression factor rather than what is practical. Their main concern appears to be a large entrance hall and a huge kitchen diner where they can entertain their friends.

Alternative the the property they buy has to be near bars and clubs, no doubt where they can meet their friends and then after crowing from the rooftops about their newly acquired property can invite them back for canapes, petit fours and champers.

I would much rather see a few more like an Anne and Alan on a limited budget with 2 young children looking for a terrace house or semi with 3 beds near a school, bus stop and the shops, rather than Augustus and Antoinette with a budget of over £750,000 looking for a stylish 6 bedroom property, possibly with a games room, gym, or pool, bought with the main ambition to impress their friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Agreed. They look for a house that has the necessary impression factor rather than what is practical. Their main concern appears to be a large entrance hall and a huge kitchen diner where they can entertain their friends.

Anyone who uses the phrases "wow factor", "open plan living" or "kerb appeal" deserves a slap. I bet most of these people who claim to be "always entertaining friends" are actually miserable lonely bores who spend every evening eating an Iceland microwave dinner in front of the TV as they cannot afford to do anything else due to the huge mortgage they have to pay.

LLL used to be the king of the property shows but now I only watch to see how annoyingly smug, pretentious and unrealistic the people are. The worst were that couple of academics a few weeks ago who wanted a big dance space.
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the phrases "wow factor", "open plan living" or "kerb appeal" deserves a slap. I bet most of these people who claim to be "always entertaining friends" are actually miserable lonely bores who spend every evening eating an Iceland microwave dinner in front of the TV as they cannot afford to do anything else due to the huge mortgage they have to pay.

LLL used to be the king of the property shows but now I only watch to see how annoyingly smug, pretentious and unrealistic the people are. The worst were that couple of academics a few weeks ago who wanted a big dance space.

I ask you, a dance space FFS. Get real:mad::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    This week the 2 lads from Birmingham had a budget of 120k and refused to pay more than 110k for a flat. I think they just wanted to be on TV to be honest. The brain surgeon had an offer submitted by Kirsty whether she agreed or not :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    This week the 2 lads from Birmingham had a budget of 120k and refused to pay more than 110k for a flat. I think they just wanted to be on TV to be honest. The brain surgeon had an offer submitted by Kirsty whether she agreed or not :eek:

I really liked Naomi but she clearly had no idea what she wanted after so many years of student living. Perhaps she would have been better off spending less of her money on a starter home for a few years rather than blowing all of her savings. The period cottage was lovely though.

The other two were just a pain. They need their heads looking at for not paying an extra couple of grand.

At least this episode featured people looking for more normal properties rather than those with more money than sense.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Naomi but she clearly had no idea what she wanted after so many years of student living. Perhaps she would have been better off spending less of her money on a starter home for a few years rather than blowing all of her savings. The period cottage was lovely though.

The other two were just a pain. They need their heads looking at for not paying an extra couple of grand.

At least this episode featured people looking for more normal properties rather than those with more money than sense.

I thought it was absolutely gorgeous.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

Alternative the the property they buy has to be near bars and clubs, no doubt where they can meet their friends and then after crowing from the rooftops about their newly acquired property can invite them back for canapes, petit fours and champers.

I would much rather see a few more like an Anne and Alan on a limited budget with 2 young children looking for a terrace house or semi with 3 beds near a school, bus stop and the shops, rather than Augustus and Antoinette with a budget of over £750,000 looking for a stylish 6 bedroom property, possibly with a games room, gym, or pool, bought with the main ambition to impress their friends.

Yes but how exciting would that 3 bed semi be? LLL offers escape in the form of fantasy; viewers love to watch the couples having a look around houses that they themselves might never be able to afford. Gives them something to aspire to.

Ditto with Escape To The Country. Who wants to look at a cookie cutter semi in dreary suburbia, when they can be looking at a delightful 17th century cottage with a hillside view instead?

That said, I don't think they only show such houses anyway. LLL has had its share of 3 bed semis too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    strewth wrote: »

It was a low offer but was only £2k off, don't see what is that ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A property is only worth what you are prepared to pay, they obviously didn't like it enough or value it enough to go over £110k and Phil agreed with them.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    That pair will never agree on a purchase.:rolleyes:

The ground-floor flat with the large garden was ideal for the cats but they couldn't even appreciate that! :mad:
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the couple tonight really cant bear High Wycombe, and I can understand why :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    the couple tonight really cant bear High Wycombe, and I can understand why :D

Used to have a girlfriend who lived in Hugh Wycombe. I was pleased when we split up as it meant I never had to go back.

I thought they were rather annoying. They had a good budget of £450,000 for their ages but still unreasonable expectations of what they could afford.

Not sure of the wisdom of the two sisters buying together. It could all end in tears when one of them meets someone and moves out.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lx3 hit the buffers yonks ago, same old stuff, a couple of annoying hooray henries being sniffy about every house, Kirsty and baldie bloke doing the covert sexual innuendo shenanigans.

As Kirsty is now the size of a small hatchback she should be grateful for any chance of some podger.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    It would make a change from the same old same old professional couple looking for some 2 bed flat in london for their expanding family. With added Kirsty getting broody at the thought of them having more kids

But I think that's the shows demographic. It's aimed at affluent-ish types.

Look at Kirsty's other shows. There's that one where she made alll the Xmas decorations for her cottage. She made baubles for her Xmas tree, at £20 a bauble and she didn't flinch when she told us the price either.

It's the telly equivalent of John Lewis, Waitrose, Cath Kidston and Boden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    But I think that's the shows demographic. It's aimed at affluent-ish types.

Look at Kirsty's other shows. There's that one where she made alll the Xmas decorations for her cottage. She made baubles for her Xmas tree, at £20 a bauble and she didn't flinch when she told us the price either.

It's the telly equivalent of John Lewis, Waitrose, Cath Kidston and Boden.

You didn't see it last week then?