Options

avast been optimized for intel core i3 as well as i7?

jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
Forum Member
✭✭
I've got a laptop which has a Intel Core i3 CPU on the features page on: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab2 it says:

"Optimized for latest Intel Core i7 CPUs

Critical sections of the avast! scanning engine code have been optimized to deliver unrivaled performance on the latest Intel chips.
CPU optimization"

Does anyone know if latest intel chipsets means the i3 which I have and the i5 as well as the i7 or just the i7 only?

Comments

• Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too concerned. The biggest hit on performance is reading files for scanning. The processor is not a bottleneck.

Somewhere in the details it specifies this:
    Optimized for latest Intel Core i7 CPUs

You can also get a level of sandboxing and firewall from your operating system and modern browser. I get annoyed that anti-virus sellers make the normal world sound so dangerous and exciting.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned. The biggest hit on performance is reading files for scanning. The processor is not a bottleneck.

Somewhere in the details it specifies this:

You can also get a level of sandboxing and firewall from your operating system and modern browser. I get annoyed that anti-virus sellers make the normal world sound so dangerous and exciting.

So how come when you get a faster processor your applications load faster? Faster memory is better as well of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just look at the data transfer speeds of the various components and see which one is slowest. Over simplistic maybe.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was optimized for i3 or i5 then it would not just specify i7.

Maybe email them to get the definitive answer :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So how come when you get a faster processor your applications load faster? Faster memory is better as well of course.

Thing just aren't that simple i'm afraid.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably means it's multi-threaded rather than dumping on a single core like the old days. (i7s are Quad Core/8 Thread and i3s only have 2 cores with 4 Threads)

Not really relevant but it's amazing how many computers are on Ebay that say "12GHz of POWER!!!!" when that blatantly is not the case with quad core processors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    If it was optimized for i3 or i5 then it would not just specify i7.

Maybe email them to get the definitive answer :)

will do now :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    It probably means it's multi-threaded rather than dumping on a single core like the old days. (i7s are Quad Core/8 Thread and i3s only have 2 cores with 4 Threads)

Not really relevant but it's amazing how many computers are on Ebay that say "12GHz of POWER!!!!" when that blatantly is not the case with quad core processors.

Yep! VERY misleading for people who know nothing about them. That's what these sellers are banking on though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think if the Anti Virus is consuming enough processor time to need optimisation for an i7, it's not good enough. If I tell MSE to scan my laptop's hard drive, it's using around 3% in task manager and I have a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz. It's my fairly low power low speed hard drive making it run slow.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep again, probably just the marketing bumf.
    An i7 is the current fastest CPU so Avast are likely to be just associating themselves with it.

Of course an i7 usually has 4 cores so associating one core with the anti-virus could easily be called optimisation.
    No doubt its common sense across most

I quite like those "12GHz of POWER" headlines. Intel and AMD should do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yep again, probably just the marketing bumf.
    An i7 is the current fastest CPU so Avast are likely to be just associating themselves with it.

I wanted to get the i7 but (1) I couldn't afford it and (2) I don't really need an i7 for word processing + ms access + casual web surfing lol
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jayzee786 wrote: »
    I wanted to get the i7 but (1) I couldn't afford it and (2) I don't really need an i7 for word processing + ms access + casual web surfing lol

That's right. Serious word processor users are waiting for the i9 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only for the big words, like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosises. (excuse my spelling)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only for the big words, like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosises. (excuse my spelling)

lol :D
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

Glad you're not hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend towards four letters usually.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    One beautiful summer's day, two English tourists were driving through Wales.
    At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysilogogoch, they stopped for lunch and one of the tourists asked the waitress, 'Before we order, I wonder if you could settle an argument for us. Can you pronounce where we are, very, very, very slowly?'
    The girl leaned over and said, 'Burrr … gurrr … king'