Google launches its own tablet.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "This makes it sound like I can connect the tablet directly to the PC and move files across."

Yes, it is what Google want you to do with the tablet.
    It is just not quite what users will want.

being able to connect it directly to a pc and move files across sounds exactly like what a lot of users would want doesn't it? :confused: Or are you referring to those that *like* using some sort of syncing software like /shudder/ ITunes?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'also want' would have been better.

It does not stop it being a good device.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    'also want' would have been better.

It does not stop it being a good device.

that's true.

it is interesting though. currently this tablet somewhat blows away the competition. so google can get away with it. if there were a similarly specc'd tablet that did have an sd card slot then i wouldn't look twice at the google offering.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the shipping has moved down from 3-4 weeks to 1-2 weeks.
    http://phandroid.com/2012/07/10/nexus-7-tablet-now-shipping-in-1-2-weeks/
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    I see the shipping has moved down from 3-4 weeks to 1-2 weeks.
    http://phandroid.com/2012/07/10/nexus-7-tablet-now-shipping-in-1-2-weeks/
    that is consistent with my understanding of the passage of time.

Isn't it expected on the 19th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google didn't give an exact date AFAIK. But some retailers have given estimates. I guess what's significant is that this is the first change since it was announced, and things look to be on schedule. It was still saying 3-4 weeks on Google Play even yesterday.
  • Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    that is consistent with my understanding of the passage of time.

:cool:
    psionic wrote: »
    Google didn't give an exact date AFAIK. But some retailers have given estimates.

On the release day, Google stated it would be "shipping in 2-3 weeks" if I recall correctly. The 19th / 20th is perfectly in line with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted to place a pre-order but does anybody know whether they take the money from your account as soon as you place the order or right before they're due to ship it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »
    I'm tempted to place a pre-order but does anybody know whether they take the money from your account as soon as you place the order or right before they're due to ship it?

From what I can tell, they put a hold on the money for 4/5 days when I ordered, however the money is now back available in my account, and I presume they will actually take it when they ship it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I'm very tempted to buy this tablet now, just trying to confirm if its possible to connect it to the PC and transfer files over like music, movies etc?

Thanks in advance :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart567 wrote: »
    I'm very tempted to buy this tablet now, just trying to confirm if its possible to connect it to the PC and transfer files over like music, movies etc?

Thanks in advance :)

Just connect it via USB and it will show up as a drive with folders on it. Then just drag and drop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYS7nsCBvc
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    they've randomly picked an angle for that story and stuck to it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always wonder if I should wait a month or two so that any bugs are found by the early adopters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

more misleading articles. there'll be plenty of music, tv and film available on the Nexus 7 in the UK, just not from Google. (Netflix, iplayer, sky go and Amazon mp3 off the top of my head, I'm sure there's lots more; magazines I don't know the state of play)
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    more misleading articles. there'll be plenty of music, tv and film available on the Nexus 7 in the UK, just not from Google. (Netflix, iplayer, sky go and Amazon mp3 off the top of my head, I'm sure there's lots more; magazines I don't know the state of play)

Theres a few magazine apps out there on the platforms at the moment, zino for one.
  • Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »

They charge at dispatch.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is Sky Go confirmed to be available on the Nexus 7?
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be awesome but I seriously doubt it. The only on demand service I can get to work on my current android tablet is BBC Iplayer. None of the others work as they all say the android market isn't big enough for them to keep pace with the new OS versions.

Most annoying think about Android but not really their fault - sky etc seem to be mainly keen on keeping pace with Apple.
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    That would be awesome but I seriously doubt it. The only on demand service I can get to work on my current android tablet is BBC Iplayer. None of the others work as they all say the android market isn't big enough for them to keep pace with the new OS versions.

Most annoying think about Android but not really their fault - sky etc seem to be mainly keen on keeping pace with Apple.

http://www.t3.com/news/sky-go-android-app-adds-on-demand-and-ics-features
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

perhaps not at launch, but I've no doubt it will be.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps not at launch, but I've no doubt it will be.

I really hope so. I find Sky Go great when out in town and the wife is going into all the women shops. :D
  • BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being able to connect it directly to a pc and move files across sounds exactly like what a lot of users would want doesn't it? :confused: Or are you referring to those that *like* using some sort of syncing software like /shudder/ ITunes?

Using iTunes doesn't mean you have no control over what gets synced. I like iTunes because it is a far more powerful tool than simply using Windows Explorer to transfer files.

Most people don't have a problem with iTunes or otherwise Apple would not have made it this far with its portable devices.
  • BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is it "random?" You don't think that's an important things about that tablet to cover?