Some Girls (BBC Three)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoyed this, i didn't intend to watch it but I was at a bit of a loose end and decided to pop it on.. I'll be watching the rest!
  • tvhonourtvhonour Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the advert but forgot to watch lol. Tuned in on iPlayer and I enjoyed it. I see there are some of the same old serious prudes are out in force on here though. Not surprised. It wouldn't be a true DS thread if there wasn't at least a handful of posters analysing way too deeply.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Crap.

BBC3 really need to start making better comedies.

The comedy on this channel is aimed at air heads / chavs so unless you become stupid i can't see you enjoying it anytime soon. :D
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvhonour wrote: »
    Saw the advert but forgot to watch lol. Tuned in on iPlayer and I enjoyed it. I see there are some of the same old serious prudes are out in force on here though. Not surprised. It wouldn't be a true DS thread if there wasn't at least a handful of posters analysing way too deeply.

Not a prude, i just know what is funny and what isn't.............and that was not funny in the slightest.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am interviewing Mandeep Dhiillon who plays Saz this week. Are there any questions you would like me to ask?
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    When I saw the advert , for Some GirsI thought - this reeks of a BBC version of the Inbetweeners - and sure enough, when I saw the whole prog that's just what it was.

The prog wasn't bad, but being the BBC the whole programme is weighed down by the BBC PC box ticking.

Before you start you know it will be ethnically balanced, and no doubt there will be the obligatory gay character and of course it has to be 'street' to tick the right box on social groups.

There is nothing wrong with these issuses being included if it feels natural. But as with so many BBC progs it doesnt feel natural. You just feel the writers knew they had to make sure all the various groups were included for no other reason than the BBC Diversity Offiicer had ordered it.

Take the Inbetweeners. As Damon Beesley, (co creator of the Inbetweeners) said - 'there is no way the BBC would have ever made a prog about 4, straight, white middle class teenage boys'. It simply wouldnt have happened. Indeed Beesley and his co creator took the Inbetweeners to the BBC first, but the BBC wanted to change it so much, they gave up and went to Ch4 instead.

One of the reasons that the Inbetweeners was so popular is that there are millions of people out there who can identify with those 4 teenagers in a way they cant ever identify with these artifically constructed social groups the BBC insists on.

So the BBC shuts itself off from so many potential scenarios because every programme has to be PC'd to death.

So with all this PC stuff pulling Some Girls down it starts of with a massive disadvantage. To be fair, the prog does quite well considering the constraints put on it.

But the Inbetweeners it will never be.

I think this is a great criticism of why this show could be so much better than it already is.

That being said, Episode Three was a pretty good one and the ending I thought was really funny. So this show is growing on me, but still has a lot of problems.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Another good episode tonight fair few gags for me, I'll watch the repeat too.

Nice to see Saz coming to the fore a little more now too, as we know nothing about her.
    Thought we'd have had more gags involving the gruff child, I suppose Exorcist jokes wouldn't work for BBC 3's target market.
    Forum Member
    I think this is a great criticism of why this show could be so much better than it already is.

That being said, Episode Three was a pretty good one and the ending I thought was really funny. So this show is growing on me, but still has a lot of problems.

Oh well maybe you can address some of the points I made in response to that post as the FM won't be back for months, if ever.
    BTW I've never watched Inbetweeners, so I don't care if this is similar or not.
    Yeah artificial groups that you'd find all over London's secondary schools.
    No doubt you could go round the country and find secondary schools with a similar mix, but it's the BBC being PC and making it all up, obviously.
    What a load of utter ar$e.

Right, I'm not a big consumer of sitcoms, Outnumbered, The thick of it (haven't watched them in ages), any Black/Asian characters in them?
    My Family, The Flynns, Cuckoo, Hebburn.
    'Street', you mean there are Working class characters who aren't White.
    I don't know when Street began to mean non-white and working class, but it does to many.
    Seems there a few people out there with class and race issues, program's clearly not for you then, other channels are available.

I can see why America has BET, if people have such an issue with seeing Black and Asian people on TV.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess its because The Inbetweeners had more freedom to be the show it wanted, and you can tell with Some Girls that the show could be a lot edgier than it wanted to, but either The BBC has dumbed it down or the writing is just not very good. Feels like a rough draft from the actual final draft.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice that the actress who plays Viva is called Adelayo Adedayo. It must've taken her parents a long time to come up with a name for her! :p
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was having an alright time with this... but, alas, by episode ~3 already it is worn-out.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it so far. :)
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was having an alright time with this... but, alas, by episode ~3 already it is worn-out.

Whereas I thought the third episode the best so far. It's not brilliant, but eminently watchable with one or two laugh out loud moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    It is mostly watchable, quite well written and often quite funny. But there are some serious flaws in the production which could very easily outweigh any positives. I think the most serious failure of this show is to use actresses who are probably 40-50% older than the characters they are playing.
    One of the reasons that the Inbetweeners was so popular is that there are millions of people out there who can identify with those 4 teenagers in a way they cant ever identify with these artifically constructed social groups the BBC insists on.

I think that is nub of it. I get the feeling that even the writer(s) don't identify with the characters they have created. I think there are a lot of elements which will probably irritate the hell out of more discerning viewers. I find myself watching it through a mental filter, trying to suspend my disbelief.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful, awful programme. All the comedy feels forced. However I watch every episode because I fancy the stupid one (the girl version of Neil Sullivan)
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt thing i would like this, but it is really quite funny.
    Forum Member
    steogede wrote: »
    It is mostly watchable, quite well written and often quite funny. But there are some serious flaws in the production which could very easily outweigh any positives. I think the most serious failure of this show is to use actresses who are probably 40-50% older than the characters they are playing.

I think that is nub of it. I get the feeling that even the writer(s) don't identify with the characters they have created. I think there are a lot of elements which will probably irritate the hell out of more discerning viewers. I find myself watching it through a mental filter, trying to suspend my disbelief.

I still think this ^^ is a load of utter ar$e, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Not sure which episode it was but the bit with the dead hamster was quite amusing...the rest not so much.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I began watching this series - it's aimed at an audience several decades younger than mine; and I'm prone to grumbling about the bad grammer, appalling language and lax morals, etc. etc. of 'kids today' - but I'm glad I did. It's sharp, witty and has surprising warmth. I hope it gets another series.
    Forum Member
    The last episode was awful overall, struggled through it and won't be giving it a second viewing like the others.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way in which Amber speaks reminds me a lot of fellow BBC Three character Lee Nelson.
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    The way in which Amber speaks reminds me a lot of fellow BBC Three character Lee Nelson.

She felt a bit much this week, then again the episode was awful so every element was a bit much.
    Some of the accents were awful this week too, especially the blokey Viva fancied.

Ahh you've started me off now and I just wanted to forget that episode.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another "comedy" for the underclass
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »
    another "comedy" for the underclass

Oh trying a new tack with your 'act' I see.
    fugitive wrote: »
    i despair that such foul crude and offensive language and full frontal nudity used in these shows is now deemed acceptable on British TV. And even more that these shows are aimed at teens.

How that Inbetweeners movie gained a 15 cert is beyond me. This means it will be viewed by anyone over 12. to quote the Black Eyed Peas "Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria"

Last time you tried this ^^ in an effort to generate some heat, didn't work then, suspect this won't work either.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fugitive wrote:
    to quote the Black Eyed Peas "Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria"
    Last time you tried this in an effort to generate some heat, didn't work then, suspect this won't work either.

Heh.

Quoting "The Black Eyed Peas" in an effort to condemn the low state of the current culture?

Priceless.