John paul Mcqueen back in Hollyoaks (Merged)

Comments

• CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah he was crap in Emmerdale. Glad he has gone back to something i dont watch. His acting in emmerdale was more wooden than my wooden spoon!!
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to McQueen reunion scenes. I wish Michaela was still around, she and John Paul had a great rapport. And I loved his relationships with Myra and Carmel too. It'd be interesting what he makes of psycho Mercedes, not that I think he could get through to her, the only people that could - Malachy and Tina - are dead.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else excited to see the JP and Jacqui relationship visited again? The pair of them had such a lovely sibling chemistry.

Yes. He had great scenes with her, particularly when he came out, and when she gave him a slap when he whined that he couldn't attend Carmel's wedding to Calvin (because he was too upset about Father Keiron's death).
  • TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Anyone else excited to see the JP and Jacqui relationship visited again? The pair of them had such a lovely sibling chemistry.

I definitely am, I loved the banter between John Paul and the McQueen women. :D
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    The Kieron storyline was hideous. Not only uninteresting but badly written, sensationalist storytelling with no regards for the fact that JP was totally out of character throughout.
    I fear we're in for more of the same crap and it's such a shame because I love John Paul and I love Mcdean too and now I fear they will both be ruined for me if this doesn't work.

Maybe when James leaves again, we'll see him texting or phoning Craig and them agreeing to give it another go in Dublin. As depressing as that sounds, it's the most we can hope for since there is no sign of a Guy return.
    It would still suck but at least it wouldn't be Mcdean forever crapped over that way.

Oh and I agree again Flukie, we must share the same mind. :p

My initial thought was that if he was only back for a few months they could somehow make it that he was still with Craig but Craig was working abroad or something for a few months, and of course their love was so strong that neither of them would ever dream of cheating on the other and they'd always be in touch, etc.

But of course, that's a fairy tale,and won't happen cos they'll have him jumping into bed with anyone gay who moves as soon as he's back. Seeing as thety never give JP storylines that are nothing to do with him being gay or having it off with someone!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Loved his character first time around, hopefully will do second time around.

Would rather not see him with Brendan though.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. He had great scenes with her, particularly when he came out, and when she gave him a slap when he whined that he couldn't attend Carmel's wedding to Calvin (because he was too upset about Father Keiron's death).
    I definitely am, I loved the banter between John Paul and the McQueen women. :D

:D Woohoo! Its going to be good, he always seemed close with Jacqui, not that he wasn't close to the other ladies but he and Jacqui seemed to have that very special bond.

Maybe he'll be there in time for when Jacqui finds about Rhys? I'm imagining JP punching Rhys... :eek:
  • mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosya wrote: »
    Yeah he was crap in Emmerdale. Glad he has gone back to something i dont watch. His acting in emmerdale was more wooden than my wooden spoon!!

I think his character was poor over and above the acting. It was if they hired him without thinking of anything good for the character. Yes his family's plot was good but he as a character was dull as dishwater. Nothing to him at all. I watched Emmerdale for JS but ended up getting into all the other storylines instead. Don't watch any soaps right now, mind you...
    :D Woohoo! Its going to be good, he always seemed close with Jacqui, not that he wasn't close to the other ladies but he and Jacqui seemed to have that very special bond.

Maybe he'll be there in time for when Jacqui finds about Rhys? I'm imagining JP punching Rhys... :eek:

I did always love his relationship with Jacqui. Must not watch! The worst thing is I was always fed up of Jacqui having a shit time so now it would be seeing her relationship fail and JP's. Argh!
  • Natuk80Natuk80 Posts: 11,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lillers wrote: »
    I am so so happy about this, but at the same time, if this means the end of McDean, I'd have rather he didn't come back so we could still imagine them together in Dublin :(

I agree with bit in bold.:(

I was a bit shocked when I first heard about it. If they do split up I will not be happy, because all the hard work people (Us McDean Fans) did to get the Sunset Ending in the end. I agree with Mistri here - It's just a shame to see a rare happy ending go to waste. :(:mad:
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I've just thought though, to be fair to Hollyoaks i'm certain they would have asked Guy back as well. They would want them both but obviously Guy's just done well on Broadway so he seems to be 'making it' in America. Can't blame him if he doesn't want to come back and can't blame James for wanting to.
  • mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just thought though, to be fair to Hollyoaks i'm certain they would have asked Guy back as well. They would want them both but obviously Guy's just done well on Broadway so he seems to be 'making it' in America. Can't blame him if he doesn't want to come back and can't blame James for wanting to.

You can't have happy characters for long in soapland anyway - which is why we were all relieved when they finally left together!

Good for Guy though, he got excellent reviews in his play so I'm sure he'll be onto bigger and better things.
  • dequeendequeen Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only just bothered to look on here a little while ago and was shocked to hear this was happening. :eek:

This is the worse news for me and I am gutted that James is coming back to HO.
    I was happy and done with both Craig and John Paul as two characters that had gone for good and now to have one half of McDean return means that the SE we got was all for nothing. :(

Realistically I know most couples that get together at such a young age don't usually end up being together for the rest of their lives but if I wanted realism from my tv show I bloomy well wouldn't be watching a show like HO. :rolleyes:

I was quite happy knowing that BK was gonna be involved again in the show and now I'm not so much with this news. :mad:

Can't see any other way but them being over and if they aren't when JP comes back they will soon be as he will likely get involved with some 'guy'!! ;)
    Just hope Brendan gone by the time he gets back to HO and Doug and Ste are back together because I don't want him involved with any of them although I don't even like Stug as a couple!! :yawn:

I really don't know how I feel about the show anymore with this news as I'm actually raging about this. :o
    I hope for James's sake that this was the right move for him career wise as it will possible look like a step back and also a decision that could have been influenced by a certain lady still being there. :confused:

Not a happy McDeaner :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dequeen wrote: »
    I only just bothered to look on here a little while ago and was shocked to hear this was happening. :eek:

This is the worse news for me and I am gutted that James is coming back to HO.
    I was happy and done with both Craig and John Paul as two characters that had gone for good and now to have one half of McDean return means that the SE we got was all for nothing. :(

Realistically I know most couples that get together at such a young age don't usually end up being together for the rest of their lives but if I wanted realism from my tv show I bloomy well wouldn't be watching a show like HO. :rolleyes:

I was quite happy knowing that BK was gonna be involved again in the show and now I'm not so much with this news. :mad:

Can't see any other way but them being over and if they aren't when JP comes back they will soon be as he will likely get involved with some 'guy'!! ;)
    Just hope Brendan gone by the time he gets back to HO and Doug and Ste are back together because I don't want him involved with any of them although I don't even like Stug as a couple!! :yawn:

I really don't know how I feel about the show anymore with this news as I'm actually raging about this. :o
    I hope for James's sake that this was the right move for him career wise as it will possible look like a step back and also a decision that could have been influenced by a certain lady still being there. :confused:

Not a happy McDeaner :cry:

Feel the same hun.
    Very easy and yet very risky move by JS.
    On the one hand, it's easy because it's steady work and he has a girlfriend and friends still in HO. On the other hand, it looks and feels like a step back for him as an actor and I'm not sure JP will fit the way he did before. Sure he has family in HO but most of his friends and siblings have moved on now, It's hard to think that the guy who broke away from the crazy Mcqueen family as a teenager and went off to live his own life in Dublin, is now back in the tiny village of Hollyoaks! I really hope they can pull it off so it's not crapping all over the happy ending for no reason. But for selfish reasons, at least if it didn't work James wouldn't stay for long and he wouldn't have to endure him sleeping his way round the village.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    To be honest I think it is great.

I certainly cannot blame him. He was given poor material at Emmerdale - at Hollyoaks he gets the chance to show what he is made of. Work is work at the end of the day, you cannot afford to be a job snob.. and how is it a step back being considered worthy enough to being roped back in.

Sunset ending? It happened - who is saying that Craig hasn't gone over seas for a year or something and JP wanted to visit family.

Or they just split up - this is for the greater good, good boost to the show, an extremely popular character. It is a winner.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Rain wrote: »
    Or they just split up - this is for the greater good, good boost to the show, an extremely popular character. It is a winner.

Well that's okay then ;):rolleyes:.

That's all well and good, but what made John Paul popular was that he was a pretty unique character in 2007 involved in an immensely popular storyline. The family stuff was always good, but I fail to see that his return will be as legendary as maybe the show thinks. He's not a big villain with scores to settle. He's an out gay man in his early twenties. It was the relatable coming out story and being quite a laddy gay man and the only bloke in the McQueens that was unique and made him popular. That was five years ago.

What does he offer to the show now? Studenty stories? Hooking up with one or the both of the other two out gay men in their twenties?

The show is in a different place these days. Think about how successful the returns of Clare and Michaela were. ;) Recapturing nostalgia might be fine for their first episodes back, but what then? Michaela was barely used in her recent return (I'm guessing that might be different now BK's back at the helm although he could hardly come up with a decent plot for JP before Craig's return - pirate radio station anyone?).
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Well that's okay then ;):rolleyes:.

That's all well and good, but what made John Paul popular was that he was a pretty unique character in 2007 involved in an immensely popular storyline. The family stuff was always good, but I fail to see that his return will be as legendary as maybe the show thinks. He's not a big villain with scores to settle. He's an out gay man in his early twenties. It was the relatable coming out story and being quite a laddy gay man and the only bloke in the McQueens that was unique and made him popular. That was five years ago.

What does he offer to the show now? Studenty stories? Hooking up with one or the both of the other two out gay men in their twenties?

The show is in a different place these days. Think about how successful the returns of Clare and Michaela were. ;) Recapturing nostalgia might be fine for their first episodes back, but what then? Michaela was barely used in her recent return (I'm guessing that might be different now BK's back at the helm although he could hardly come up with a decent plot for JP before Craig's return - pirate radio station anyone?).

It is quite dangerous, he was a very popular and iconic character and theres a big danger with him coming back he'll just turn into a 'run of the mill' character and lose that, especially without Craig and any element of that story. Which would be a shame. It will be very hard for them to keep JP's 'status' this time around. I can see him just blending into the show like any other standard unspectacular character. I don't want that.:(

Oh i really don't know hat to think about this!:confused::(
    Forum Member
    Rain wrote: »
    To be honest I think it is great.

I certainly cannot blame him. He was given poor material at Emmerdale - at Hollyoaks he gets the chance to show what he is made of. Work is work at the end of the day, you cannot afford to be a job snob.. and how is it a step back being considered worthy enough to being roped back in.

Sunset ending? It happened - who is saying that Craig hasn't gone over seas for a year or something and JP wanted to visit family.

But this is the thing. That was when he was playing a 17 year old coming out, and the whole storyline that lasted a year that he was brilliant at. But once Craig left they had no idea what to do with him so he slept around a bit then got the embarrassment of the priest story.The reason he left was how the character was treated post Craig.

He's now 23, he's been living in another country since he was 19 and now he decides to go back home like he's a schoolboy again.

And as I've just said, JP as a teenage only gay character is a world away from a grown man who will be one of loads of gay characters.
    I hope for James sake they don't just give him gay storylines and have him sleeping with everything that moves again!
    Forum Member
    andy614 wrote: »
    It is quite dangerous, he was a very popular and iconic character and theres a big danger with him coming back he'll just turn into a 'run of the mill' character and lose that, especially without Craig and any element of that story. Which would be a shame. It will be very hard for them to keep JP's 'status' this time around. I can see him just blending into the show like any other standard unspectacular character. I don't want that.:(

Oh i really don't know hat to think about this!:confused::(

Exactly. And - sorry to keep repeating this - but the popular character was the teenage JP newly coming out. He's a completely different character now and it's not like he's sort of aged and become that on the show, he's been away 4 years,turning into a man, living with another man in another country.
    There's nothing about him that stands out now. He's just another adult in a teen soap - and there's so many gay characters now they could form their own soap!
    Forum Member
    I blame all those casting directors who didn't give him the acting jobs he went for! There's no way he'd be going back otherwise, he's only going cos he needs the money, which is understandable, but lets not kid ourselves he's going back cos be misses working either in HO or for BK!
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,648
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty much with mojo, andy, and Flukie on this. I really liked Our John Paul and James Sutton is a decent actor, but JP's story was one of a nice, intelligent teenager coming to terms with his sexuality and falling in love with his best friend. It was highly enjoyable at the time and the story was dealt with satisfactorily - job done. JP was a likable character rather than a 'big' character. I'm not at all sure his return is going to have the impact BK is hoping for.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, in the intervening years, JP may have gone over to the dark side. Sigh! :rolleyes:
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the sunset ending and hope they don't split them up, but this seems unlikely that they can explain Jp being back without Craig.

I'd like to see them bring Spike back too, just as a friend now that JP is back in the village. I thought Spike was fab and its a shame when they brought him back it was only for a few episodes.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    I'm pretty much with mojo, andy, and Flukie on this. I really liked Our John Paul and James Sutton is a decent actor, but JP's story was one of a nice, intelligent teenager coming to terms with his sexuality and falling in love with his best friend. It was highly enjoyable at the time and the story was dealt with satisfactorily - job done. JP was a likable character rather than a 'big' character. I'm not at all sure his return is going to have the impact BK is hoping for.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, in the intervening years, JP may have gone over to the dark side. Sigh! :rolleyes:

I'm the same. I loved JP to bits back in 2006, he was a fantastic character, but he feels like he belongs in the past to me. After Craig left, he basically did naff all for most of 2008 except hang around with a priest, and when he went, it was definitely time to go before it became a case of rapidly diminishing returns.

I can see it's massively got people talking, which is what HO will have wanted, and lots of people will tune in to see his return, but it can only work if they have a really great storyline worked out for him. I'd hate to see him in a few months time just hanging round in the village like a spare part - like Michaela did when she came back.

He honestly feels like a very strange fit with the show as it is today, to me. But I guess time will tell.
    Forum Member
    I'm the same. I loved JP to bits back in 2006, he was a fantastic character, but he feels like he belongs in the past to me. After Craig left, he basically did naff all for most of 2008 except hang around with a priest, and when he went, it was definitely time to go before it became a case of rapidly diminishing returns.

I can see it's massively got people talking, which is what HO will have wanted, and lots of people will tune in to see his return, but it can only work if they have a really great storyline worked out for him. I'd hate to see him in a few months time just hanging round in the village like a spare part - like Michaela did when she came back.

He honestly feels like a very strange fit with the show as it is today, to me. But I guess time will tell.

From JP's first day he was involved with Craig. That storyline lasted a whole year. When it was over HE was a spare part. He got nothing to do for 3 months before they introduced the horror that was the priest storyline. God knows what they'd have done with him after that, that was one of the reasons James left. He apparently decided early on after Guy left that he was going as well, that's why the Sunset Ending was decided early on.

I wonder how many people do tune in to see the adult JP back, and how many more would tune if JP was back and it was known he was still with Craig, they were just seperated for a while (JP could Skype him and be off visiting him when the character disappeares for weeks on end, as they do!)
    I'd certainly watch again for the latter, but definitely not the former!
    Forum Member
    I loved the sunset ending and hope they don't split them up, but this seems unlikely that they can explain Jp being back without Craig.

I'd like to see them bring Spike back too, just as a friend now that JP is back in the village. I thought Spike was fab and its a shame when they brought him back it was only for a few episodes.

Spike was a plot device from 5 years ago, nothing more. (even BK admitted that) invented to make Craig jealous and move him and JP onto the next stage.

He only went back for one episode didn't he? Very odd.
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Spike was a plot device from 5 years ago, nothing more. (even BK admitted that) invented to make Craig jealous and move him and JP onto the next stage.

He only went back for one episode didn't he? Very odd.

Spike was back for a few episodes the week the late nights were on. I didn't know BK said that.

He obviously couldn't have a long term thing with JP because of Craig, but as a friend would have been great and still could be. Spike still got on well with JP even after JP was with Craig.