Options

Another Freeview Retune

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Maybe they want everyone to go Freesat or Sky, by annoying everyone every 6 months, then they can flog off the rest of it to the highest bidder !

That would be mad if it happened and I say if as I dont think it will.
    If it happened it would change TV as we know it and would most likely mean a launch of a second pay satellite platform like Sky, or more cable platforms.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    The system should have been designed and released with mandatory automatic background re-tunes - a condition of the licence for all manufacturers. AFAIK, Sky had been doing that for a few years by the time Freeview started, so there is no excuse I can think of for Freeview not requiring it too.
    Rather simpler to implement for DTS than DTT. Non of those pesky neighbouring transmitters or relays to muddy the waters.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Rather simpler to implement for DTS than DTT. Non of those pesky neighbouring transmitters or relays to muddy the waters.

And sky has complete control of the platform ....
    No one body controls uk DTT ....
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another retune?!

Well, what's wrong with an event that encourages more than a few of us to be a little more tech savvy and to help those among who are truly unable to be so and are more than grateful for that help.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't done anything and I can't say that I've noticed any difference.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    That would be mad if it happened and I say if as I dont think it will.
    If it happened it would change TV as we know it and would most likely mean a launch of a second pay satellite platform like Sky, or more cable platforms.

Is that not what quite a few threads are on DS about? we need more competition on Sat ? But would it need another platform, just say to everyone from Jan 1st 2014 or whenever, if you wish to watch tv you will need a FS box and dish, bit like when some of the Europeans went digital, and I think when Holland went from FTA to Pay, get a new box or do without
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky does not control Satellite, they control Sky, Freesat is nowt to do with Sky. The issue Sat wouild have with some FV channels are 'rights' to where they can be shown.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    These updates are a pain in the arse, even this morning I had a Windows one - anti virus with be next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what about freesat? Doesnt that have auto retune? And the regional issue is go round by putting in a postcode same could be done for DTT and if the first region for that postcode cant be found it gets the first availible region for channels 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Is that not what quite a few threads are on DS about? we need more competition on Sat ? But would it need another platform, just say to everyone from Jan 1st 2014 or whenever, if you wish to watch tv you will need a FS box and dish, bit like when some of the Europeans went digital, and I think when Holland went from FTA to Pay, get a new box or do without
    Yes, a fine way to hack people off, especially
      those who bought new kit due to DSO
      those who have multiple TVs
      those who have and use portable TVs
      those who need to replace perfectly good PVRs (which might have cost them £200 or more)
      those who cannot, for whatever reason, install a dish
      those who, by way of geographical location, or intervening tall buildings, cannot get line-of-sight to the satellite
      those who, with austerity measures in mind, simply cannot afford the additional outlay

All in aid of replacing a perfectly good and serviceable system that has stood the test of time.

And yes, quite a few threads have discussed this recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what about freesat? Doesnt that have auto retune?
    It does. Which is why I referred to DTS rather than Sky.
    And the regional issue is go round by putting in a postcode same could be done for DTT and if the first region for that postcode cant be found it gets the first availible region for channels 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
    It can. But my point was that it complicates matters and I have one PVR that even asks of which of two transmitters I want to use yet still manages to tune in duplicates from the other one too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does. Which is why I referred to DTS rather than Sky.It can. But my point was that it complicates matters and I have one PVR that even asks of which of two transmitters I want to use yet still manages to tune in duplicates from the other one too.

But arent the dupes in the 800s or something? why would that matter when on Dsat the regions for BBC and ITV and Channel 4 London are all in the 900s?
    As long as the best region for your area can be picked up and put on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 then I dont see an issue with another region in the 800s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But arent the dupes in the 800s or something? why would that matter when on Dsat the regions for BBC and ITV and Channel 4 London are all in the 900s?
    As long as the best region for your area can be picked up and put on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 then I dont see an issue with another region in the 800s.

I think that some PVRs get confused with recording schedules if there are duplicates in the 800s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In this case yes the duplicates are the ones in the 800 range. But a) you can not delete them; b) other boxes put the first ones it finds in the right range and puts the wrong ones in the 800s; and c) many PVR's get confused when recording from channels for which there are duplicates.

The DTS system is designed to cope with having regional variants and allocates unique identifiers. The DTT system does not, throwing the hard work on the PVR to sort out the resultant mess which for the most part they make a hash of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I am having problems with one of my TVs I have re-tuned it twice today but the BBC channels are unwatchable frozen/pixelated. It's a fairly new flat screen only about 1 yr old.

What shall I do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
      those who need to replace perfectly good PVRs (which might have cost them £200 or more)
      those who, by way of geographical location, or intervening tall buildings, cannot get line-of-sight to the satellite
      those who, with austerity measures in mind, simply cannot afford the additional outlay

All in aid of replacing a perfectly good and serviceable system that has stood the test of time.

Was sort of tounge in cheek, but not far wide of what some were saying about HD channels and SD / HD boxes, in that all those with aging SD boxes ought to go out a get new ones, so that the HD layout could be 'bettered'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Was sort of tounge in cheek, but not far wide of what some were saying about HD channels and SD / HD boxes, in that all those with aging SD boxes ought to go out a get new ones, so that the HD layout could be 'bettered'

Although, to be fair, the SD/HD discussion was in part also based around the equivalent of DSO2 which would take place a number of years from now, on the assumption that most if not all Freeview devices being sold would have HD capability by default, and that older devices would be being replaced over time due to natural upgrades, obsolescence or failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this case yes the duplicates are the ones in the 800 range. But a) you can not delete them; b) other boxes put the first ones it finds in the right range and puts the wrong ones in the 800s; and c) many PVR's get confused when recording from channels for which there are duplicates.

The DTS system is designed to cope with having regional variants and allocates unique identifiers. The DTT system does not, throwing the hard work on the PVR to sort out the resultant mess which for the most part they make a hash of.

well what can we say but that its a design fault!

there shouldve been an identifier on the regional channel streams from the start! and the freeview boxes shouldve been designed to sort the regional stuff, like this, out!

What im saying is that its now difficult to change now its in place but if it had been there form the start then there wouldve been no problems.

I would say though that they could design all new equipment to do this and put a regional channel identifier on all regional channel streams, that could of course be ignored by old boxes without problems.
  • Options
    Shilo_PittShilo_Pitt Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Where have all my BBC TV and Radio channels gone? I've done a retune (because of the update) and as of 7.55 pm 10/4/13, they're still not there ?
  • Options
    HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't you mean a bandwidth constrained system that cannot carry sufficient SD channels, yet alone HD and 3D ones, that took a decade to reach some viewers, and where many viewers today still cannot receive all the DTT channels due to geographical location... And where many invested in DTT equipment only to then find it was not able to receive HD broadcasts despite it having HD-ready on the box...

perfectly good? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although, to be fair, the SD/HD discussion was in part also based around the equivalent of DSO2 which would take place a number of years from now, on the assumption that most if not all Freeview devices being sold would have HD capability by default, and that older devices would be being replaced over time due to natural upgrades, obsolescence or failure.

I was in my local supermarket the other day and I was very surprised to still see loads of freeview SD boxes on the shelf!
    Also freeview PVR boxes arent HD! I just couldnt believe that!

I did see that the freeview HD boxes were sold out though!

I also saw the same thing with freesat boxes that there is still SD ones available!

I really think that say OFCOM should mandate that they are no longer sold!
    Also that all freeview HD boxes have the HD removed from the title and it just say on the side that it can receive HD.
    The reason I say this is people think they dont need a HD box just because they dont have a HD tele and dont understand the dvb-t2 bit!
    If there was no choice to the public, just the dvb-t2 box branded as freeview and that it just says it can receive HD, then people would just buy them and by the time that the DSO2 came it would be much less of a problem.

I also think freesat SD boxes should go too and that a part exchange program should be set up, that you can trade in SD boxes of any kind for part of the value of HD boxes!
    This would get a lot of people on to HD boxes and the SD ones could be taken out of commission, in this country, and sold abroad to a country that wants SD only equiptment.

It could also work with old Sky SD boxes too!

The same part exchange program could be done with freeview SD boxes too, especially as some from the launch of DTT in 1998 no longer work.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Shilo_Pitt wrote: »
    Where have all my BBC TV and Radio channels gone? I've done a retune (because of the update) and as of 7.55 pm 10/4/13, they're still not there ?
    They're on air. But some receivers won't store them unless a first time installation or factory reset is done. Alternatively, try manual retune (if available).

Assuming you are in the Granada TV region receiving Freeview from the main Winter Hill transmitter, the missing BBC channels are now on UHF channel 50. (not the actual channel 50 on your box)
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I was in my local supermarket the other day and I was very surprised to still see loads of freeview SD boxes on the shelf!

I also saw the same thing with freesat boxes that there is still SD ones available!

Also that all freeview HD boxes have the HD removed from the title and it just say on the side that it can receive HD.
    The reason I say this is people think they dont need a HD box just because they dont have a HD tele and dont understand the dvb-t2 bit!
    If there was no choice to the public, just the dvb-t2 box branded as freeview and that it just says it can receive HD, then people would just buy them and by the time that the DSO2 came it would be much less of a problem.

I also think freesat SD boxes should go too and that a part exchange program should be set up, that you can trade in SD boxes of any kind for part of the value of HD boxes!
    This would get a lot of people on to HD boxes and the SD ones could be taken out of commission, in this country, and sold abroad to a country that wants SD only equiptment.

The same part exchange program could be done with freeview SD boxes too, especially as some from the launch of DTT in 1998 no longer work.

I would disagree with regards the freesat SD boxes. Ideal for smaller size secondary TVs hooked up to satellite. No urgent need for more expensive HD receivers.

There were no Freeview SD boxes from the launch of DTT in 1998. These were On Digital/ITV Digital boxes, and given the company went belly up in 2002, it's probably a good thing that viewers were still able to use them until digital switchover. It could have been worse - like the BSB squarials - defunct very quickly!

And who would pay for the part exchange? The manufacturers? Taxpayers?
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

What a good idea, it is a shame that OFCOM and the Government did not make this sensible announcement

Also not only does Freeview boxes pre 8k no longer work, you will also find that Freesat SD boxes will not work with some News channels as they now only broadcast on DVB-S2 Frequencies namely NHK World,
    this is why I got rid of my Freesat SD boxes already and upgraded to Freesat HD boxes

I also think that all PVRs should only be HD compatible ones when sold now and the SD PVRs are now obsolete and should be scrapped/decommissioned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    I would disagree with regards the freesat SD boxes. Ideal for smaller size secondary TVs hooked up to satellite. No urgent need for more expensive HD receivers.

Why not then broadcasters can switch dvb-s1 off and use dvb-s2 Im not saying they should just go HD as this would be too expensive, they could stay SD.
    There were no Freeview SD boxes from the launch of DTT in 1998. These were On Digital/ITV Digital boxes, and given the company went belly up in 2002, it's probably a good thing that viewers were still able to use them until digital switchover. It could have been worse - like the BSB squarials - defunct very quickly!

Sorry re the naming of the box I know they arent called freeview boxes, but they are DTT boxes.
    And who would pay for the part exchange? The manufacturers? Taxpayers?

Well the manufacturs or a new company set up to just do box recycling. The latter is the best and it would be worth it, they would just strip the software off the box, load new software, re-brand it, make sure the parts work and sell them abroad. Im sure there could be a market in this.