No Signal

wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
Forum Member
A few days ago, we had a message when we turned on the TV that something was happening on 10th April and that we might have to retune after a couple of hours (I didn't take much notice tbh, as we have Sky).

We've had no Freeview signal all day and I wondered if anyone knows what's going on. We live in Manchester and I think ours is the Winter Hill transmitter. Ta in advance!

Comments

• StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forums
    User CP • FAQ • New Posts • Search • Quick Links • Rules • Log Out
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    A few days ago, we had a message when we turned on the TV that something was happening on 10th April and that we might have to retune after a couple of hours (I didn't take much notice tbh, as we have Sky).

We've had no Freeview signal all day and I wondered if anyone knows what's going on. We live in Manchester and I think ours is the Winter Hill transmitter. Ta in advance!

Just do a standard Freeview retune and see what you get. If that's not satisfactory then by all means repost about what's still wrong.
  • Shilo_PittShilo_Pitt Posts: 149
    Forum Member

I had one of those messages, so I did a retune and now I've lost all my BBC TV and Radio channels. It's now gone 8pm and they're still missing. I also live in Manchester.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Shilo_Pitt wrote: »
    I had one of those messages, so I did a retune and now I've lost all my BBC TV and Radio channels. It's now gone 8pm and they're still missing. I also live in Manchester.
    I'll repost the reply from your post in the Broadcasting forum here:

They're on air. But some receivers won't store them unless a first time installation or factory reset is done. Alternatively, try manual retune (if available).

From the main Winter Hill transmitter, the missing BBC channels are now on UHF channel 50. (not the actual channel 50 on your box)
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a retune is required to get back BBC1 & BBC2. I'm also serviced by Winter Hill.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have been doing some moving to get ready for 4G mobile broadband so a retune is required
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
    Forum Member
    How do we do a a retune? I've forgotten!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

should be along the lines of Settings Installation Add New Channels or something like that
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't get the 4 Freeview HD channels from Winter Hill.
    Forum Member
    I just can't get the 4 Freeview HD channels from Winter Hill.
    They've not changed frequency today and are broadcasting as before. Assuming you've been able to get Freeview HD before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    They've not changed frequency today and are broadcasting as before. Assuming you've been able to get Freeview HD before?

I have been able to get them before but it isn't finding them for some reason.
    Forum Member
    I have been able to get them before but it isn't finding them for some reason.
    UHF channel 54 from Winter Hill, if you can manually retune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UHF channel 54 from Winter Hill, if you can manually retune.

I can manually retune but the signal quality is not there but the signal strength is at a full 10 on my Panasonic Viera.
    Forum Member
    I can manually retune but the signal quality is not there but the signal strength is at a full 10 on my Panasonic Viera.
    Sometimes you get that type of reading [10/10 strength 0/10 quality] if there's a signal overload (too much signal). Being in Bolton, that's a possibility?
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not unusual for the signal "quality" to be lower on the HD mux than the DVB-T muxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you get that type of reading if there's a signal overload (too much signal). Being in Bolton, that's a possibility?

The winter hill mast can be seen from my house so perhaps. Is there anything I can do? Cheers for your help by the way
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member

I'd have a look for the TV or Freeview box manual or search online for it. If neither yields a result then you'll probably have a Menu option on your remote control. Press that and you should have options like tune/retune, install/reinstall or reset/factory reset. Go for those and if you need to enter a PIN code then it'll most likely be 0000 or 1234.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have a look for the TV or Freeview box manual or search online for it. If neither yields a result then you'll probably have a Menu option on your remote control. Press that and you should have options like tune/retune, install/reinstall or reset/factory reset. Go for those and if you need to enter a PIN code then it'll most likely be 0000 or 1234.

Bookmark http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitaltv/resetting.shtml#retuning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Its really strange what is going on at the moment (im from Liverpool/North west area) - i ve done multiple re scans, yet my free view box is picking up every other channel other than the BBC channels.
    No BBC1, no BBC 2 and no BBC news channel.
    It is picking up every other channel perfectly fine with no prob at all.
    I cannot make any sense of all that really?