Options

Do you have any personal superstitions?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do sometimes, like I believe in jinxing, in any capacity, whether it's celebrating that my laptop suddenly recovers from a virus, I never do a "hoorah!" in case it breaks straight after.

Also if a loved one gets ill I will never speak up about how well they're doing because in the past they've passed not long afterwards.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bed keeps squeaking, As I lay asleep I thought I must get the Allen key out of the tool box and tighten it up. Next day when I come back from work the Allen key to do this was on the floor. Checked with everyone and no one put it there????????

I never walk under signs.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    none.

my oldest girl used to be superstitious about walking over three drains, i lost count of the times she`s near on pushed me in front of a car, screeching "three drains!!!".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    My bed keeps squeaking, As I lay asleep I thought I must get the Allen key out of the tool box and tighten it up. Next day when I come back from work the Allen key to do this was on the floor. Checked with everyone and no one put it there????????

I never walk under signs.

I used to be like that, I thought in Final Destination style it'd collapse and decapitate me :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I never walk over these glass panels over cellars in pavements. They creep me out. It bugs hubby when I push him away so I don't have to walk over them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I never walk over three drains and pass people on stairs and I always salute when I see a magpie :o
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Nope, none whatsoever. :)
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossing people on stairs if I can help it.
    I have no idea why!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Wlaking under ladders. :o
    But that is to avoid the chance of someone dropping a bucket on my head. :)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I do not put my trust in irrational rituals. Instead I employ proven empirical commonsense behaviours, such as not walking under ladders, not breaking mirrors, avoiding the number thirteen and making secret wishes when blowing out birthday candles.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is more a cursed object and MY personal superstition about it ( and by the way its taken a couple of goes to get this message on as its blipped off for no reason):

A couple of years ago I wanted a nice top to go with jeans and brighten my look - I only had a certain time before the shops closed and was due out that evening. It took ages to find it and then still I wasn't sure as it was red which I don't usually wear - a kind of boho top.

Shortly afterwards the man with whom I'd thought I'd spend the rest of my life finished with me (I think he is something to do with the curse) - because I associated the top with the time we split I then didn't wear it for ages. Oh I'd forgotten while I was still with him my daughter had a car crash from which she was ok but I had to go to see her in casualty - I remember standing at the desk there and was wearing said red top.

For ages I didn't wear it because it reminded me of the above. A year or so later I did wear it and ended up being stuck in an airport for 31 hours.

There was also a disasterous road trip.

There was another gap and then the next time I wore it I had a bad fall and bruised my legs quite badly.

When I've worn it I also tend to get into arguments - I think it attracts negative vibes.

It's hanging now in my wardrobe like some evil thing from LOTR - the above things I've mentioned are just a few things that have happened - there are more. I suppose it's coincidence but.......is it?:confused::eek:

Seeing this all down in black and white has made me more nervous - don't think I'll ever wear it again.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldberry, clothes are poweful... I would never wear my work clothes at home - not even the watch. The second I was through the door, I would get rid of my teacher 'costume' (I thought of it as playing a character all day) - even chuck the watch off onto the hallway floor, or wherever I was, and back to being myself in 'my own' clothes.

I'd also buy "Mrs X" (the teacher) clothes I'd never buy myself. (Laura Ashley, etc). I hated feeling there was any crossover between work and the 'real me'.

My other superstition concerns watches, too. Apart from when I was teaching and had to, I never wear a watch. Ever. I bought two a couple of years back but gave on e away and don't wear the other...

The last time I wore a watch was right back in the mid 80s. We had a party one night and my watch broke. At the same time, a silver ring I had worn daily for years also just snapped and broke. Later that night, one of my friends drove home in the ice, skidded into a lamp post yards from his home and was killed by whiplash from the seatbelt. Ever since, I associated watches with the night my friend died. Illogical, I know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never try to do anything on a Wednesday.

Everything goes wrong on Wednesdays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    This is more a cursed object and MY personal superstition about it ( and by the way its taken a couple of goes to get this message on as its blipped off for no reason):

A couple of years ago I wanted a nice top to go with jeans and brighten my look - I only had a certain time before the shops closed and was due out that evening. It took ages to find it and then still I wasn't sure as it was red which I don't usually wear - a kind of boho top.

Shortly afterwards the man with whom I'd thought I'd spend the rest of my life finished with me - because I associated the top with the time we split I then didn't wear it for ages. Oh I'd forgotten while I was still with him my daughter had a car crash from which she was ok but I had to go to see her in casualty - I remember standing at the desk there and was wearing said red top.

For ages I didn't wear it because it reminded me of the above. A year or so later I did wear it and ended up being stuck in an airport for 31 hours.

There was another gap and then the next time I wore it I had a bad fall and bruised my legs quite badly.

When I've worn it I also tend to get into arguments - I think it attracts negative vibes.

It's hanging now in my wardrobe like some evil thing from LOTR - the above things I've mentioned are just a few things that have happened - there are more. I suppose it's coincidence but.......is it?:confused::eek:

Seeing this all down in black and white has made me more nervous - don't think I'll ever wear it again.

Think I would bin it or burn it. I certainly wouldn't want it in my house.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not good to get enslaved by superstitions and rituals. They can spoil your whole life.
    You know they're nonsense so take them on - delberately do all the things you are superstitiously worried about and you will see you life is no worse than it was before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Goldberry, clothes are poweful... I would never wear my work clothes at home - not even the watch. The second I was through the door, I would get rid of my teacher 'costume' (I thought of it as playing a character all day) - even chuck the watch off onto the hallway floor, or wherever I was, and back to being myself in 'my own' clothes.

I'd also buy "Mrs X" (the teacher) clothes I'd never buy myself. (Laura Ashley, etc). I hated feeling there was any crossover between work and the 'real me'.

My other superstition concerns watches, too. Apart from when I was teaching and had to, I never wear a watch. Ever. I bought two a couple of years back but gave on e away and don't wear the other...

The last time I wore a watch was right back in the mid 80s. We had a party one night and my watch broke. At the same time, a silver ring I had worn daily for years also just snapped and broke. Later that night, one of my friends drove home in the ice, skidded into a lamp post yards from his home and was killed by whiplash from the seatbelt. Ever since, I associated watches with the night my friend died. Illogical, I know.

I don't think it's illogical - it's something - more things in heaven and earth etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Think I would bin it or burn it. I certainly wouldn't want it in my house.

I've been thinking about this - maybe it would make things worse.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think superstitions are ridiculous, and I don't believe in them for one second.

However, I never walk under ladders, often say "touch wood" and do so, and never open an umbrella indoors.

Best to hedge your bets, I say.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shortly afterwards the man with whom I'd thought I'd spend the rest of my life finished with me (I think he is something to do with the curse) - because I associated the top with the time we split I then didn't wear it for ages. Oh I'd forgotten while I was still with him my daughter had a car crash from which she was ok but I had to go to see her in casualty - I remember standing at the desk there and was wearing said red top.

Don't just chuck it away, burn the fcukin' thing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it is entirely. Why don't you associate the generic mundane things that happened constantly while wearing it as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Always salute when I see a magpie, which is a bit of a bitch as a family of them live oposite my house in the trees!!
    Never walk under step ladders
    Always touch wood
    Try not to walk on manhole covers, gives me the creepies
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My reluctance to buy the last of any item when out shopping, especially foodstuffs, borders on the superstitious.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well walking under ladders is sort of common sense because you are more likely to have something dropped or dripped on you under a ladder, of course this only works if someone is up the ladder at the time.

Not breaking a mirror is also common sense, firstly you would have to pay to buy a new mirror and secondly there would be dangerous broken glass everywhere.

Not passing on the stairs was common sense when staircases in castle were open plan, if you knocked into the person next you you on those stairs then one or the other of you (whoever was on the open side) could fall off. On a closed stairway, or one with a banister, it makes less sense although you could trip and fall. (Of course in Lord of the Rings land they build rediculously high staircases with no banister on either side, so not crossing on those is very sensible, in fact refusing to use them would be even more so).
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Hollywood183;66148484]Always salute when I see a magpie, which is a bit of a bitch as a family of them live oposite my house in the trees!!
    Never walk under step ladders
    Always touch wood
    Try not to walk on manhole covers, gives me the creepies[/QUOTE]

I say "Hello, Mr Magpie" in a very polite voice. That does enough to ward off the devil.:D
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never cut down a hawthorn bush or tree or the little people will get you.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    every time i have a calendar up and its on the correct month something awful happens-car crash,someone being taken very ill ect. I have not had a calendar up in the house for over 6 years now.

something horrible always happens to me if I listen to any manic street preachers song, so i dont listen to any of there music which is a complete arse because i really like them!

good grief i sound mental :D